Barber Trifecta or Way Huge Swollen Pickle?

amarr1

• Members

the trifecta isn't versatile.

I disagree... I use my trifecta as a stop gap between a fuzz face and a muff. Honestly the swollen pickle is a totally different sound and way more tweekable then the trifecta. I think thats a big buy both and sell the one you end up using because they both have such different styles. The dunlop swollen pickle reportedly sounds different then the original too, I'm assuming thats the one you are talking about? It's got loads of trimpots inside and stuff as well so maybe you want something thats a bit more set it and forget it?

The trifecta has tonebender settings, I think. Don't those get less muff-like tones...? :idk:

Really no way to get LESS muff-like tones on a pickle. There's pretty much regular muff, super-extreme muff, and everything in between. And you're looking for something that can do fuzz-face-ish, right?

• Members

The trifecta has tonebender settings, I think. Don't those get less muff-like tones...?
:idk:

Really no way to get LESS muff-like tones on a pickle. There's pretty much regular muff, super-extreme muff, and everything in between. And you're looking for something that can do fuzz-face-ish, right?

Well, I want both ideally, but super-extreme muff sounds pretty awesome.

• Members

I owned the Swollen Pickle and got rid of it pretty quickly. It is VERY tweakable, but I didn't care for most of those sounds. I've heard the Trifecta live, and I have to say that I was pretty impressed. I'd probably pick up the SW again if I could find it for say $75? If you are a Muff addict than yes go for it. One thing that is great about the Swollen Pickle is it's small size.

• Members

The Trifecta is better with a wider range of tones and fuzz sounds that can clean up a bit better, whereas the Pickle is undoubtedly a Muff, and as one said, it basically goes from regular Muff to extreme Muff to really extreme Muff. The Trifecta works better with different pickups and changes tonality more, whereas the Pickle seems to retain it's Muff character no matter what.

I noticed that with a Fuzz Factory--the pedal really puts it's sonic stamp on whatever pickup or guitar you're using.

• Members

I don't really want a self-oscillating wanky fuzz, i kinda want a 'set it and forget it' kinda thing.

The Trifecta would be better for you in this case......though it still does have alot of tweakability and you may want a less tweakable fuzz. Something like a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz is good, because it's not a Muff, not a Fuzz Face, it's got it's own sound and some like it and some don't. It's not as extreme, it's a more subtle fuzz and sometimes closer to a distortion, it's a bit more Tony Iommi-ish at times because it has a good clarity to it.

• Members

You don't play in an 8 piece band, don't you?

:facepalm:

• Members

I owned the Swollen Pickle and got rid of it pretty quickly. It is VERY tweakable, but I didn't care for most of those sounds. I've heard the Trifecta live, and I have to say that I was pretty impressed. I'd probably pick up the SW again if I could find it for say $75? If you are a Muff addict than yes go for it. One thing that is great about the Swollen Pickle is it's small size.

Original SP or reissue?

Archived