The Official Holy Stain Lounge

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks Fender&EHX4ever for the review. I think your description of "distortion pedal with hazarai" really puts it into perspective for what it does best. I've been casually looking for one of these on the cheap. When I find one, it'll probably go into the mod/delay section of the chain to slop some cruft on the effects and add some (more) sonic weirdness.

• Members

I've been playing around with this pedal all week, and I think I've finally found the magic combo.

Squier Jagmaster (stock pups, middle position) > Holy Stain

Mode: Room Reverb

Mix: 8:00

Amount: 9:00

Volume: Max

Tone: 11:00

Color: Warm

Dirt: Clean

It reminds me of the Raspberries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5hlxbOazGs

[YOUTUBE]r5hlxbOazGs[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I just recorded this demo clip: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7428151

Section 1: Squier Jagmaster (stock, middle position), Clean with Room Reverb

Section 2: Fender CIJ Mustang RI (stock, middle position), Fuzz with Pitch Shift

Section 3: Fender CIJ Mustang RI (stock, middle position), Fuzz with Trem/Verb

Section 4: Fender CIJ Mustang RI (stock, middle position), Drive with Hall Reverb

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Bump.

I came across this pedal today, and I forgot how cheap it is. It would be quite a cool effects solution for me right now... (I could use a verb and pitch shifter).

However... I completely fail to see how the pitch shifter section is usable. Is it possible to make this thing do an octave up? 100% wet, preferably.

I quite like the sound of the dirt, and it is ludicrously inexpensive, so I'd love it to be usable...

Any thoughts? :thu:

• Members

Is it possible to make this thing do an octave up? 100% wet, preferably.

I don't know if a mod is possible. But in it's stock condition, no, it won't go an octave up. The extreme ranges of the pitch shift sounds okay for pentatonic scales. Also, if you detune very slightly, you get a decent non-cyclical chorus sound. Otherwise, the pitch shifter could be used like a tremelo bar.

• Members

I don't know if a mod is possible. But in it's stock condition, no, it won't go an octave up. The extreme ranges of the pitch shift sounds okay for pentatonic scales. Also, if you detune very slightly, you get a decent non-cyclical chorus sound. Otherwise, the pitch shifter could be used like a tremelo bar.

Ah, OK. :(

Cheers for the info. Oh well... I think it's a cool unit, but much as EHX make weird and wonderful pedals, and always have... I can't quite see what they were thinking with this one. Sadly I don't need a funny harmonizer or chorus, nor a whammy-style pitch-shift, otherwise I could have fun with this one... But I hope to put the funds together some time soon for a Micro POG anyway.

:thu:

• Members

I'm still liking it, bought mine new right when it was released

prefer to use the verb modes, clean setting

The verbs sound pretty good to my ears, it must be said. My GAS is for a T-Rex Roommate, though - I like mine 'warm' sounding. My ideal I guess is the perfect combination of hall reverb and analog delay... :)

• Members

I owned a Holy Stain for about a year and then sold it and purchased a Verbzilla. I owned the 'zilla for less than two months. It just didn't work for me and it made me really appreciate the Stain. I am actually thinking about picking one up again if I can find a used one for cheap. I really liked using it primarily for reverb with a boost at the tail end of my signal chain. The more I think about it the more I want it back. Argh, just when I thought I was over reverb the Stain says hello again.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'd love the Holy Stain if the pitchshifter section could only be a little more usable...
:(

I am more interested in the reverbs/trem and the nearly clean boost it adds when i have it last in my signal chain. I have missed that tone ever since I sold my HS. I never did use the pitch shifter. Although I do plan on picking up an expression pedal so I might give it a shot.

• Members

I am more interested in the reverbs/trem and the nearly clean boost it adds when i have it last in my signal chain. I have missed that tone ever since I sold my HS. I never did use the pitch shifter. Although I do plan on picking up an expression pedal so I might give it a shot.

Yes, not much of a trem guy myself, but the verbs are really good, for the price and otherwise, IMO...

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just picked up a used Holy Stain and love the color control and tone shaping, and the reverbs are really good,. I wonder if there is a way to adjust the pitchshifter's range to an octave, sure would be more useful. The OD and Fuzz have way too much gain for my style, but I have other dirt pedals in front of it. This is the second Holy Stain I havew owned, I really missed the reverbs and the grit of the clean mode when set to warm, sounds awesome. HNPD

Archived