I think I'm becoming an alcoholic

matterday

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
This is my first week of weekday sobriety in the last two years. I'm on this new kick of only drinking on the weekend (Fridays and Saturdays), not a drop elsewhere. It is working so far..I guess
:confused:

I don't know if I am/was an alcoholic or not. I never drank in the mornings/lunch time hours. It was always after class/work. I would drink to a pretty good intoxication, but never to blacking out/puking/
killing people
. I never suffered in school (hot toddies wrote my senior thesis in college, and my prof. said it was the best in years) or work, never late or bitchy or hungover at work or of the sort. It did make me fat again, though, which I hope this will kick off before summertime
:cry:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members
Didn't you say something about getting "lubed up for class" by getting a buzz?

Yeah, I think you might be an alcoholic too, man
:(

Try some controlled drinking. Drink two mixed drinks or beers and stop. If you can not stop for the rest of the day/night, you might be an alcoholic.

That experiment helped me be honest with myself.

I love the new avatar Agreed. Who was the picture of before this current avatar?

• Members

Thank you for the complement, this one is a picture I took of my MIJ Contemporary Special 22 strat. I thought the combination of the colors and the shiny System 1 trem would make a nice avatar, and I am glad you like it :) Previously it was Mr. Devin Townsend, one of my favorite musicians and possibly the ugliest most beautiful man alive.

• Members
Thank you for the complement, this one is a picture I took of my MIJ Contemporary Special 22 strat. I thought the combination of the colors and the shiny System 1 trem would make a nice avatar, and I am glad you like it
:)
Previously it was Mr. Devin Townsend, one of my favorite musicians and possibly the ugliest most beautiful man alive.

I like that characterization, "The ugliest most beautiful man alive." True beauty is more so much more than outward appearances. IMHO

• Members

being an alcoholic is more than just craving beer all the time. it's about drinking to cover up your problems, feelings of guilt, and drinking to avoid the withdrawal effects of being dependent on alcohol.

so ask yourself, why are you drinking?

• Members

It seems to me like he's drinking to try to compensate for feelings of social inadequacy and a fear of not being able to relate to others (not attacking you, Matterday, that's just the pattern that seems to be emerging). "I feel like I participate in class more," etc., seems like he's kind of self-medicating in a recursive, cyclical way which will likely only increase his dependence over time.

• Members
It seems to me like he's drinking to try to compensate for feelings of social inadequacy and a fear of not being able to relate to others (not attacking you, Matterday, that's just the pattern that seems to be emerging). "I feel like I participate in class more," etc., seems like he's kind of self-medicating in a recursive, cyclical way which will likely only increase his dependence over time.

This seems very plausible....

Are you a psychiatrist? If not, you should be one :thu:

• Members

No, and I definitely don't mean to masquerade as one. My academic field is philosophy, not psychology. I do have some unfortunate first-hand experience with alcoholics, though, including some good friends who are awfully hard to get along with anymore. Many of the signs are more or less universal, and a lot of the same social pressures exist that could cause people to go for a legal, easily obtained and cheap method of self-medication for some perceived weakness in themselves. The problem of course is that it isn't very good medicine.

• Members

man.. your body is getting used to the alcohol.. i think your addicted to it.. I was like that with cigerettes. It took me 3 month to finally quit.. It's hard but you can do it.. alcohol will {censored} up your liver and your sex drive.. lol..

Archived