Church boy roll call: wadya play today?

ninjaaron

• Members

I enjoyed our line up this weekend... :thu:

1. All The Earth Will Sing Your Praises (Days Of Elijah)
2. Praise Adonai (Days Of Elijah)
3. Come Expecting Jesus (Come Expecting Jesus)*
4. Only Your Mercy (Come Expecting Jesus)
5. From The Inside Out (I Worship)

:rawk:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Lord You Are Good" (Israel Houghton)

I played this one yesterday, sans nose flute.

Can't remember the rest of the songs other than Mighty to Save. It wasn't the best list we've had recently.

• Members

Sunday was forgettable. I recall that I got pretty 'in the zone,' but I the songs were nothing to shout about (except we did Agnus Dei, which I always enjoy). Just put together the set list for Wednesday night with the teens:

Hosanna (Paul Baloche)
Mighty to Save (Hillsong/Reuben Morgan)
'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
Surrender (Mark James)

We have a band going now. They are pretty aweful, but they just started, so they will get better.

Also, found out this evening that I have to preach. Should be phun.

• Members

We did:

Beautiful One

Indescribable

You Alone

Love Divine all loves excelling

Beautiful Saviour (new version of the old hymn)

The real fun for me was to sing "You Alone" which is my latest song. I wrote the chorus and hook etc about four years ago, and have probably written a dozen different verses - differing in both lyrics and melody. Finally, last week I wrote two verses and a bridge that work very nicely with the existing chorus etc... Felt so good to finally sing it. Has a lot of edge and energy to it. And, it seemed to be well received. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

In honor of Father's Day, today was "Man Church." We decorated the sanctuary with axes, helmets, shields, etc (no sissy flowers or anything like that). Service was run in a talk show, Letterman-style format, so we stacked the band on the side of the stage.

The band was all men- 2 electrics, bass, 1 acoustic, keyboard player (playing the Paul Schaffer role with 3 keyboards), drums, and 2 trumpets. Keyboard player also blew some sax at the end.

We opened with "Mighty to Save"- I used the Jekyll (808) side of my J&H for my leads and for the general tone.

Next they ran announcements through a video clip, set up to look like a news program.

We then opened up the worship set with "Victory Chant," as a funk. I abused my wah on this one, but it's hard not to.

Next was "We Worship You," as gospel as a bunch of white rockers can pull off. Clean tone won the day here, with some compression thrown in to taste.

Next on the list was "Rejoice in the Lord," a tune I hadn't done before. It was another that was originally very gospel, but we rocked it up a little. I stayed clean with my Strat and let my compressor bring me out in the mix.

We closed with "Our God Reigns" into "How Great Is Our God." For the first, my Dano TOD ran into my Echo Park to give some silky smooth lead goodness. When we rocked into "How Great," the delay went off and TOD carried the tune.

After worship set, we stayed up to act as the talk show band. We did an uptempo 12 bar blues for the host (the pastor), played about 16 bars of "Respect" for the guest (a fictional author talking about her fictional book about respecting your spouse), and did a couple of "Late Show"-style riffs- "Know Your Cuts of Meat" and a church variant, "Know your Old Testament Minor Prophet Biblical Prophecies," and we did some riff for "Greek Word of the Day" (our pastor likes to go into the Greek).

There were parodies of commercials (including a hilarious one for "Mandle" Candles- manly scents like barbecue, leather, and sweat), and at the end we gave away a bunch of prizes. While that was going on, I switched to piano and we threw down the closing theme from Saturday Night Live while the sax player blew over the top.

All in all, it was without a doubt the most fun church service I've ever had. Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I wanted to share the fun.

FWIW, when I started with the church a year and a half ago, everything was run into the system direct- guitars used multi-fx units, bass went DI, drums were electric. Today, we had acoustic drums (been using them for about 2 months now), 2 live amplifiers miked into the system (I've insisted on that since I bought my Traynor), and even a bass amp up on stage for a real biting tone that a direct bass signal can't provide. I think I'm helping to move the church in a rock n roll direction.

Then funny thing is that we were quieter this week than we were last week with just two acoustics, a keyboard, and djembe.

• Members
Very manly.

What the hell do you guys do for Mother's Day? Wait....don't answer that.

Funny you should mention that; we were joking about what "Woman Church" would look like. Lots of flowers and plants, pretty pictures around the sanctuary, neutral colors all around... oh wait, that's every other Sunday of the year. :blah:

I really liked the stacked band. Made listening to each other a great deal easier, rather than spreading the band across the entire stage. I think if we put the other singers on the other side of the stage, everything should balance (visually at least).

Archived