Church boy roll call: wadya play today?

ninjaaron

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you guys should check out

www.newspring.cc

that's my churches website. And you can watch any of the services...music and all. Super big production and awesome quality. Also, some of the best musicians I've heard. I was off this past week, but if you search around you will find me playing my SG.

There are some pretty cool arrangements...just thought you guys mind find it interesting or useful.

• Members
Play a REAL gig and then you can give us your set list.

A good number of people here at HCFX don't gig outside of Madison Square Bedroom. Doing church gigs I probably play to crowds in churches that are bigger than what some people see here in clubs....and I'm not even talking to Sunday stuff.

This week I have a pretty big gig for addicts in recovery. Should be about 500 people strong. We're going to open with some Van Halen or Welcome To The Jungle. I'd rather rock out in a church with some butt-rock tunes thrown into the mix than play some of the ghey ambient {censored} I see others playing. :idk: That's just me though.

Yesterday, my Sunday P&W band played:

Melt With You - Modern English
With Me - Chris Tomlin
I Will Rise - Chris Tomlin
All Because - Fee

• Members

Maybe to keep the natives from getting restless, we should just post in 1 thread entitled "Post yer Sunday setlist"

That way, the bashing can be kept to a minimum, and in 1 thread and doesn't give the haterz any more ammo.

But...for the record...I get really tired of the repetitive threads about delays, fuzz, Fulltone pedals, etc etc etc....so the repetitiveness isn't isolated to just P&W playerz :cop:

• Members

Play a REAL gig and then you can give us your set list.

And this isn't an attack directed at you....but you got me thinking. When I first started playing in church...I though it was going to be cake. I've been in the bar scene for YEARS and thought I could just cruise through a service. Wrong.

It's quite humbling. Last minute chord changes forcing you to transpose progressions and solos, playing in IEMS...plus playing to a click...or a loop...or both.....it's all crap I didn't have to do before and forced me to become a better player and have to learn new stuff so that I brought my A game.

In retrospect...I find it much easier to walk into a bar, play a bunch of covers that I've been playing for 15 years and use wedges than it is to play in a church.

YMMV

• Members

And this isn't an attack directed at you....but you got me thinking. When I first started playing in church...I though it was going to be cake. I've been in the bar scene for YEARS and thought I could just cruise through a service.
Wrong.

It's quite humbling. Last minute chord changes forcing you to transpose progressions and solos, playing in IEMS...plus playing to a click...or a loop...or both.....it's all crap I didn't have to do before and forced me to become a better player and have to learn new stuff so that I brought my A game.

In retrospect...I find it much easier to walk into a bar, play a bunch of covers that I've been playing for 15 years and use wedges than it is to play in a church.

YMMV

I agree, I have gotten way better overall since I started playing at church.

• Members

Let's face reality folks. We all know who the real star at church is and it isn't the guy playing guitar (unless god brings back SRV or Hendrix). Playing at church is not a real gig. The people who show up are not using their free will to come see YOU. If you improve your chops that's fine but you are not playing the main stage when at church. The main stage is up on the pulpit.

• Members

Yeah, I still play pubs n' such here and there, and you can just give er and have an idea of what your target group is, play the covers and originals... (and yes, lots of fun) At church, the ages range from 0-90+ , from different cultures and careers etc... all with different tastes in music. And we are trying to do our part in leading songs to help people connect with God. And then having powerpoint slides done up for the words and arrangements, and to stick to it for the most part. Trying to pick songs that fit with the message or theme for the most part. Way more challenging than a pub set I think. But still, lots of fun.

• Members

Let's face reality folks. We all know who the real star at church is and it isn't the guy playing guitar (unless god brings back SRV or Hendrix). Playing at church is not a real gig. The people who show up are not using their free will to come see YOU. If you improve your chops that's fine but you are not playing the main stage when at church. The main stage is up on the pulpit.

that's true, but just don't assume that people who play at church are not that good. My church band was actually voted best band in upstate SC by a big newspaper. Kinda funny really, and Not a huge deal, but the point is that there are plenty of guys who play at churches that are awesome musicians.

And playing worship music is awesome. I play in front of thousands of people every week, and hearing that many people sing to God is freakin huge.

• Members

Actually.... :cop:

Not everyone (like myself) who's in a P&W band plays on Sundays and in a church's "sanctuary". As I stated, I'm playing a recovery gig this week at a church. It's not on a Sunday....and it's not on the "main stage" and people do come on their own free will....and I still get to play to 400+ people.

I didn't know that the definietion of the word gig was limited to venues that did not include places of religion.

So....if my 2nd P&W band played a gig at a bar as an outreach type of situation....would that also no constitute as a gig? :confused:

• Members
you guys should check out

www.newspring.cc

that's my churches website. And you can watch any of the services...music and all. Super big production and awesome quality. Also, some of the best musicians I've heard. I was off this past week, but if you search around you will find me playing my SG.

There are some pretty cool arrangements...just thought you guys mind find it interesting or useful.

You guys do a fantastic job. So the orange belongs to you? I drool over it al the time.

• Members

Yesterday:

I Will Go

Sing Sing Sing (the college kids love this one)

Ready Now

From the Inside Out (we've played this one a thousand times but still managed to mess it up pretty good yesterday)

[sermon]

None But Jesus

Came to My Rescue

• Members

The people who show up are not using their free will to come see YOU.

In the south, where there are 42 billion churches, people will change churches over the smallest, stupidest things, inlucing if they don't like the music, or one person playing the music.

If you play music at church, it ISN'T about you, but don't think that it's a cakewalk.

• Members
Actually....
:cop:

Not everyone (like myself) who's in a P&W band plays on Sundays and in a church's "sanctuary". As I stated, I'm playing a recovery gig this week at a church. It's not on a Sunday....and it's not on the "main stage" and people do come on their own free will....and I still get to play to 400+ people.

I didn't know that the definietion of the word gig was limited to venues that did not include places of religion.

So....if my 2nd P&W band played a gig at a bar as an outreach type of situation....would that also no constitute as a gig?
:confused:

If it wasn't connected the the church or their "recovery" would they still be there?

This will be my last post on this subject. I'm not getting into the whole back and forth thing that goes on forever like some threads here. I have learned that people have their opinions and 99% of the time you are not going to change their view on a subject. So have at it but I won't continue to argue about it.

• Members

Anyone who plays in church for their own gratification and fame should not be on the worship team until they've humbled themselves. It is not a show.

Everyone who plays in church should be giving their all - period.

Big productions are fine but as soon as you have a congregation attending church for the production experience then you have a problem. I would rather worship in a room with just an acoustic guitar with heartfelt passionate worship for God than in an environment where the heart of the session is in FX and God somehow comes in second (note: I am not pointing the finger at any church here!)

Church players have a LOT more responsibility on their shoulders than when playing the average secular gig. One is selfless and the other is self serving. We need to remember as workers for God that we must not hinder the congregation

• Members

Big productions are fine but as soon as you have a congregation attending church for the production experience then you have a problem.

Is it really an issue though? There are some performance factors when it comes to church. Some guys don't want to hear that...but it's true. yeah...it's all about God and giving him glory and praise. BUT....what do you say to/about the person that gets drawn into service and engages in worship because of the environment. I'm one of those people. It's those big productions that made me become a follower of Christ.

I went back to SoCal last week and took a week off from the worship team. I went a portable church to check out what they were doing. The band was a djembe, cello and acoustic. I didn't feel engaged at all. I wasn't in the least bit moved to want to worship. Yeah....that's what I was there to do....but the band and environment kinda made me want to leave and get Starbucks instead.

I'm a member of my church because they provide an engaging environment for me to worship. For some...that's a big production. For others...it's a 45 year old guy and an acoustic.

• Members
Some people actually do attend church more for the music than the message though. It's kinda
:facepalm:

I think this kinda goes with what I just posted. Most P&W tunes contain spiritual truths related to the word of God. So...if someone can connect to God through a song, rather than someone talking for 45minutes, is it really :facepalm:?

Our church did an informal survey a few months ago. When asked what the #1 thing people liked about the church is, the #1 response was the music. A close second was the message. Again....I don't see an issue if someone is coming for the music, and that leads to bigger and better things.

At the end of all of this....it's God who's working in all of us...and in His own way. If God is using big projectors and rock bands to bring people closer....then who am I (or any of us) to judge?

Archived