To maestro vibrola or not to maestro vibrola?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Great Waldo Pepper View Post
I would NOT! Those wrap around bridges are perfect. My SG has teh Maestro and I do like it but I really want the simplicity of a Special or Junior. I've been looking for the RIGHT one for months now...

Heres my Maestro rig:

2463455778_29a2b7e504_o.jpg
oh man--want.

what year is that?

eventually i want to add one just like that to my harem. but i've got this for now:

0f963e90.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by drewl View Post
I wouldn't hack up a nice guitar like that, but I already have two SG's with the Maestro and Lyre.

100_1238.jpg
Is that one on the left a modification? That is to say, was the original bridge a one-piece wrap-around?

I'm just wondering what one would have to do to install one on a Special with a one-piece bridge. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Great Waldo Pepper View Post
I would NOT! Those wrap around bridges are perfect. My SG has teh Maestro and I do like it but I really want the simplicity of a Special or Junior. I've been looking for the RIGHT one for months now...

Heres my Maestro rig:

2463455778_29a2b7e504_o.jpg
damnit! maestro'd sg's look sooooo fucking sick! I agree that the wrap around bridge is glorious and i love the tone but I've always wanted a maestro'd sg junior.......so i figure i could put in on and use it when i need and the times I'm not digging it i could just string it up the good ol wrap around way and let the maestro just dangle there icon_lol.gif. If this was a vintage sg i wouldn't even think about it but its a reissue and i figure there are a few to be had out there sooo what the hell.

sweet sg btw! thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hiwatt Bob View Post
it's a '68, has the wrap-around. i honestly have never tried it using the wrap-around--i love the maestro too much.
that's part of the beauty! You have the option of stringing it wrap around or with the maestro, and that's partly why I've justified the ordering of the maestro.

thumb.gif

• Members

just be extra careful lining things up, drilling, etc.

not sure what kind of installation instructions come with it. the ones that came with the bigsby i put on my tele were helpful.

assuming you do it right, i have no doubt you'll like it.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Resurrecting and old thread, got a couple of questions..

I'm about to do the same thing for my SG jr. but there's a lot of discussion that the new vibrolas are crap. Are they?

It seems that there are two kinds of short vibrolas around:

67GIBSONsgJRclean_8_.jpg
65GIBSONsgJR_2__002.jpg

I figured that they aren't interchangeable because the mounting screws placement isn't the same but this shouldn't be a problem since I haven't drilled the body yet.
I'm about to order a Gibson OEM version which is the latter one (don't know if its the same as All Parts). Are there any mounting info for these, measurements and such? Did the All Parts vibrola come with mounting instructions?
Also is there enough of break angle so the strings won't slip around?

• Members

Hello, my allparts vibrola is like the one in the first picture with the flat base. I'm fairly certain it came with mounting instructions as most vibratos do. The break angle is fine and it stays in tune great.

Here is a pic almost 3 some odd years later with my standard.

IMG_3456.jpg

Archived