To maestro vibrola or not to maestro vibrola?

• Members

I never really ask anybody on here for advise for most things I usually figure it out on my own but in this i have no experience. I was thinking of putting a short maestro vibrola on my sg junior. Anybody have experience with the vibrola? what are the pros and cons? I can get a repro replacement from all parts for about $100.....mind you this is not a vintage junior its a reissue. I usually like vibrato on most of my guitars and this seems like a functional and a pretty badass'd upgrade.........

discuss......

SNV18837.jpg

and this is the vibrola
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120357899277

and it would look something like this...

f130_12.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BrianPhase90 View Post
What about a bigsby?
bigsbys are the best vibratos imo i own a few guitars with them.....but i think it would look odd on the junior. Its either maestro or keep it stock.

Quote Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
Get the long kind.
long maestros only look good on standards and customs.....imo it would look silly on a junior. Of all the juniors I've seen they have only had the short vibrato.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Salsage View Post
I have both on SG's
Maestro Vibrola beats Bigsby IMO
very stable for methumb.gif
P2121239.jpg' alt='>'>
cool.gif
how do you like the vibrato.......besides it looking bad ass what is your take? Staying in tune, functionality, etc..........

edit.....oh shit i just saw what you wrote.......haha i thought you just posted the pic.

• Members

I've got an SG Deluxe with a Gibson/Bigsby B5 from the factory. It doesn't have much of a range of motion. I have been thinking about converting to a Maestro as well. The Bigsby on my Gretsch has a fabulous range of motion, but the B5 is a bit limited.

Anyone have opinions on these that has actually owned one or spent some time with one? Not just someone who picked one up in a music store?

• Members

I had one on my flying V

PB280087.jpg

It actually stayed in tune very well
it doesn't have the biggest range of motion but it does what i needed it for which was just a little movement
for your guitar i'd say atleast check out the bigsby
but the maestro isn't a bad idea
if you have any other questions just shoot em over here

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by brianeharmonjr View Post
I've got an SG Deluxe with a Gibson/Bigsby B5 from the factory. It doesn't have much of a range of motion. I have been thinking about converting to a Maestro as well. The Bigsby on my Gretsch has a fabulous range of motion, but the B5 is a bit limited.

Anyone have opinions on these that has actually owned one or spent some time with one? Not just someone who picked one up in a music store?
The problem is with the springs. Go to Blackriderguitars.com and order the 1" spring.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by boytbpc View Post
The problem is with the springs. Go to Blackriderguitars.com and order the 1" spring.
Yeah, I had the same problem, I had one B50 and one B5, can't remember which way round it was but one had loads of movement, the other hardly anything until I noticed one had a bigger spring.
I also found the smaller spring would fall out if you seriously pounded it, which put the guitar really out of tune.

• Members

do it.

i've got one on my '68 SG special. it might be my favorite trem ever (tied with a properly set up jazzmaster/jag). i prefer it to a bigsby, don't have to work as hard. i have zero tuning issues with mine--

i don't really use mine for dive-bombs though. just the slight dips (for surf style playing) or vibrato pull up/down (ala gary louris/nels cline).

Archived