So is it just me or is Wilco slowly turning into the Eagles?

• Members

Heh, a friend of mine got free tickets to see Wilco and asked me if I wanted to go. I said, "naw, i'll pass". He asked why. I said, "because they're Wilco", and then I cryptically declined to elaborate. He went and then said, "man, that's the only gig in a long time i've actually up and walked out of". I said, "I told you, they're Wilco".

• Members

But to me YHF is one of the greatest pop / rock albums ever created.

Indeed it is.

One of the reasons it saddens me to think they've peaked... I was hoping for so much more epicness, its still good, but if they ever put out anything as good as YHF again I'll be shocked. Thrilled, but shocked.

• Members

Yet, if they did do another YHF style album they wouldn't be pushing boundaries. Wilco is like Radiohead to me in that each album is them trying to emulate someone they respect and "failing", making it their own thing. That's something that I've been happy with so far.

If this album is considered Wilco "Lite", at least it's something different from them. :idk:

• Members

well personally i don't buy the radiohead comparison... the bands are far too different and the trend of album styles is extremely different as well

if the new Wilco was as good as In Rainbows, maybe things would be different... RH had a bit of a slump, but not like this... and then they came back super super strong, and didn't lose their identity along the way.

the problem with wilco is its been getting lighter and lighter and lighter... though at least the new one is a step above SBS, but its still not one of those "great from start to finish" albums by any means. none since YHF have been.

• Members

well personally i don't buy the radiohead comparison... the bands are far too different and the trend of album styles is extremely different as well

if the new Wilco was as good as In Rainbows, maybe things would be different... RH had a bit of a slump, but not like this... and then they came back super super strong, and didn't lose their identity along the way.

the problem with wilco is its been getting lighter and lighter and lighter... though at least the new one is a step above SBS, but its still not one of those "great from start to finish" albums by any means. none since YHF have been.

Not their style or sound, just the way they approach writing albums. They both wear their influences on their sleeves, but they add their own sound to it.

• Members

Indeed.

The Eagles have the talent of being able to trigger my gag reflex as soon as I hear their music.

Wilco does not have that talent.

I hate the Eagles too. Their music is so bland. I can't see ever hating Wilco as much as the Eagles, just because I love Wilco's stuff on YHF, A Ghost is Born, etc., and I hate everything about the Eagles.

I love Wilco's music up until Sky Blue Sky. It wasn't terrible, just not as interesting as their previous albums. I feel the same way about their latest album. I do love the most recent set of members, and they really showed what they can do on the live album Kicking Television, but the studio stuff isn't that good. They put on a great live show with lots of energy, but why can't they come through in the studio? Please Tweedy, give us another great album where you do something interesting!!

• Members
you guys prefer YHF over summer teeth?

I do yeah, but ST is veeeery close behind it. A masterpiece in its own way for sure. But YHF was just beyond epic imo. I like experimental weirdness mixed tastefully with really great songwriting, a very difficult thing to pull off, and YHF is one of the absolute best modern examples of it done to perfection. There isn't one bad moment on that disc.

Not a bad moment on ST either... but nothing quite as gutwrenching as ashes of american flags, or poor places...

and, sadly, many of my favorite ST tunes were Bennett tunes. :cry:

• Members

well now I fart in your general direction! TAKE THAT!!!

:lol:

and as you can probably tell by now this thread was really just a ruse to get a good discussion about Wilco going... I f'ing love 'em, always will, I just hope they head in a bit of a different direction they've been heading in. (The Album) is definitely a step beyond SBS imo though, so they are getting there... we'll just have to see where it all ends up :thu:

• Members

i think Tweedy made a good point in the I am trying to break your heart doc when he said Wilco songs are their songs and they can destroy them and deconstruct them as they wish.

I love that idea, however as time goes on, i dont see/hear them doing that at all. Still write good songs but still....

And i always heard Wilco puts on amazing shows :idk: too bad.

Archived