Alternatives to Comcast?

cobalt-60

• Members

So, after having my umpteenth problem with the piece of {censored} service that is Comcast, I decided we absolutely must not give them any more of my money out of sheer principle. {censored} those guys.

So what are my options? They have total monopoly on the cable market in my area of CT, so I'm gonna have to go satellite. We (and I say "we" because I could care less about the cable) need basic cable, high speed internet, and a land line phone under $100 a month.

• Members

Comcast blows. Hugely overpriced.

Is AT&T around in your area? I have their DSL (albeit a cheap, slow package) and I have no complaints with it. I'm waiting for their UVerse tv service to become avaliable at my address... I really need to get rid of Comcast.

• Members

Comcast blows. Hugely overpriced.

Is AT&T around in your area? I have their DSL (albeit a cheap, slow package) and I have no complaints with it. I'm waiting for their UVerse tv service to become avaliable at my address... I really need to get rid of Comcast.

Uverse isn't, but the DSL service is, apparently.

• Members

I got plenty to complain about. It all started when we started renting this house and signed up with Comcast. First they sent us a broken modem. Then they send us two modems. Then they kept getting confused as to which modem we were registered with. The service would cut in and out as it kept changing it's mind which modem we were using, and we got two bills. Once that was settled, the service still continually cut out at late in the night, after I got home from the night shift, rudely interrupting my conquest of nubs (we latter found out that this was the time they did repairs, it went on for four months).

After a year living there and our kid making friends with everyone on the block, the assholes who rented us the house, on a whim, decided they felt like "taking in the landscape for a few weeks" and threw us out of our home. There are houses for rent all over the block, but they needed ours. The last day Comcast came in and transferred the account back to them just as they did to us when we moved in. The equipment was there when we arrived, and there it stayed when we left. A few days latter, they hooked up our new account at our new house.

Fast forward a month, and Comcast wants the old cable box back or $200. They say it must be returned when an account is ended. For one, why the {censored} didn't either repair guy ask for the box back, or the representatives we spoke to mention it, but that's beside the point. If the box must be returned, why was it still in the house when we moved in? Why did they allow it to be transferred? Didn't our renters owe the box back in the first place? Why was the box transferred to us, but not back to them? And if they paid for it, which I can assure you they didn't because they are the cheapest rich bastards I ever met, it doesn't belong to Comcast anymore.

I have called them six times now on this issue and get a different story and response every time. I have been passed around custom service in a loop. I was told the charge was erased, and then told it wasn't and they couldn't do that. I was told the renters didn't register with Comcast. I was told they did. I was told they'd call our renters to see if they could get the box back. Four days latter I was told they called us, at our new house, to confirm the visit to our renters house, which they apparently visited. Not only did they call the wrong people, to add insult to injury, we have no {censored}ing record of them incorrectly calling our new house to go to the old one. Then I was told they weren't allowed to call someone else about our box. And they still want the $200. $200 I don't {censored}ing have.

Now, it would seem obvious just to call our renters and get it back, but as I mentioned, they are assholes. They refuse to answer our phone calls and emails about even getting our deposit back, and I doubt they have a human empathy chip coming in the mail that will suddenly make them sympathetic to our plight with Comcast Cable.

So, I whole heatedly recommend to anyone that will listen, never give these incompetent {censored}s your money.

• Members

if you cxall them and bitch about switching itll bring your bill down.

Getting the bill down is a little tricky, but they'll dump on extra channels for free very easily.

I bitched when my monthly cable bill (tv only) hit $95. Without any struggle, they gave me Showtime, HBO and Cinemax free for a year.

• Members

Satellite isn't much better. The service is okay... but you lose signal constantly in the rain. The picture quality is total {censored} unless you have an HD receiver (and pay extra for the HD channels). The internet service is so slow and overpriced that it's not even worth considering.

I had AT&T DSL for internet at one place I lived, and it was fine and we never had trouble with service or with dealing with them in general.

• Members

Getting the bill down is a little tricky, but they'll dump on extra channels for free very easily.

I bitched when my monthly cable bill (tv only) hit $95. Without any struggle, they gave me Showtime, HBO and Cinemax free for a year.

i called them for my dad and got our bill down from 99 to 65 by threatening to switch to verizon.

• Members

i called them for my dad and got our bill down from 99 to 65 by threatening to switch to verizon.

Good to know.

As soon as UVerse is avaliable at my place, I'm going to call Comcast. Unless they cut me one hell of a deal, I'm going to at&t. Right now I have no other option than Comcast... I have huge trees in the yard that rule out satelite.

• Members

Is that with an HD cable box + dvr?

Either way, HBO sucks now. It's not even worth paying for.

its just HBO but I'm a huge fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm so i love it....(It was a starter package for 12 months as I'm new to WA, but its really all I need) They do keep good stuff on ON DEMAND though....I don't usually have much free time but their documentaries are definately worth watching (not ur typical FOX, MSNBC, ABC, etc. {censored}) i recomend Ganja Queen if anyone has access.........

• Members

I actually like Comcast. For me at least, they provide blazingly fast internet connectivity, and we get the Triple Play discount (internet, cable TV, and phone).

I used to use DirecTV for many, many years, but we live near a forest and about 8 or 9 years ago the Douglas Firs grew so tall that we lost our line-of-sight to the DirecTV satellite.

They keep calling every few months, asking what they can do to get my business back. And I keep telling them: "Either move your satellite or burn down the forest near my house."

Archived