1977 Ibanez Les Paul - Hit or Quit?

jhamnett

• Members

I used to have one of those - 77 Ibanez LP Custom, although mine was black. A really excellent guitar, and perhaps the best sustaining guitar I've ever owned, bolt-on or not. The Super 70 pickups in them are highly regarded. I didn't want to let it go, but about a year ago I was trying to finish up a CD and ran out of money, so I traded it to a studio owner in exchange for mastering. I figured that since I also have a Gibson Les Paul that I wouldn't miss it, but I do.

• Members

For that price and in that condition, it's easily worth another $300 above that price. Would do it, because essentially if that neck ever goes bad your good friends at warmoth have your back with another in a pinch. Unlike if you get a gibson and the neck warps then you have to practically pay out the ass to get it fixed.

And really the only alternative to a warped gibby neck is to buy another gibby, because at the gibson factory when they repair the neck they don't actually replace and reset, they just twist it back with a steamer and reset the truss rods. Thus ensuring that neck will reset. And a pro luthier will only just remove the fret board and plane the neck then readd the fret board, costing about $500-1000.

Go for the ibanez, trust me a new neck from warmoth would only be $300 max.

• Members

For that price and in that condition, it's easily worth another $300 above that price. Would do it, because essentially if that neck ever goes bad your good friends at warmoth have your back with another in a pinch. Unlike if you get a gibson and the neck warps then you have to practically pay out the ass to get it fixed.

And really the only alternative to a warped gibby neck is to buy another gibby, because at the gibson factory when they repair the neck they don't actually replace and reset, they just twist it back with a steamer and reset the truss rods. Thus ensuring that neck will reset. And a pro luthier will only just remove the fret board and plane the neck then readd the fret board, costing about $500-1000.

Go for the ibanez, trust me a new neck from warmoth would only be $300 max.

Yup, especially with an old guitar, I feel like bolt-ons are a much safer bet. I considered that when I got my '79 MIJ Washburn.

Raven03.jpg

Raven08.jpg

• Members

Try it out first. My first electric guitar was an Ibanez Les Paul, got it in 1977. It was a strange sort of tobacco sunburst but was a great guitar. it had a great sound and was a nice solid piece of wood. A couple of months later my cousin decided to get one, and ended up with a white custom like the one you're thinking of buying. Piece of {censored}! It was very light and felt like it was made from balsa wood. He still has it all these years later. It feeds back like {censored} whenever you add any volume at all. I changed the pickups for him but that made no difference. He may just have been unlucky and got a duff one, as I knew another local guitarist that had and Ibanez Les paul and his sounded great too. (ours were standards, whereas my cousin's was a custom, maybe there's a difference in the build quality) Anyway, try it out first if you can:thu:

• Members

Try it out first. My first electric guitar was an Ibanez Les Paul, got it in 1977. It was a strange sort of tobacco sunburst but was a great guitar. it had a great sound and was a nice solid piece of wood. A couple of months later my cousin decided to get one, and ended up with a white custom like the one you're thinking of buying. Piece of {censored}! It was very light and felt like it was made from balsa wood. He still has it all these years later. It feeds back like {censored} whenever you add any volume at all. I changed the pickups for him but that made no difference. He may just have been unlucky and got a duff one, as I knew another local guitarist that had and Ibanez Les paul and his sounded great too. (ours were standards, whereas my cousin's was a custom, maybe there's a difference in the build quality) Anyway, try it out first if you can:thu:

Oh, I'm definitely going to try it out. I just started a new job, though... a 3 week contract. I hope I'll have enough time to get out there since the company expects me to put in some good hours. Will report with news after the tryout.

• Members

Would not hit.

LPs shouldn't ever be bolt on.
vomit-smiley-31.gif

dont judge until you've played one. the ibanez LP bolt-ons are surprisingly high on sustain. nowadays, the set neck/neck thru ibanez LP's are going for the same as a standard gibson studio...

yes, hit it. lawsuit ibanez guitars are {censored}ing great. id give my left nut for the ibanez jazzmaster kevin shields plays in the only shallow vid

• Members

So I found this on CL the other day: 1977 Ibanez LP copy in white, gold HW, $400. I'm going to check it out in the next couple days. Since I took on a contract position for the next couple weeks, my gear budget allows for this. So... hit it or quit it?

lp4.jpg

lp3.jpg

The original listing:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1285301794.html

I used to have that exact same model in the exact same color. I'd say quit it. Bolt on Les Pauls = :(

• Members

For that price and in that condition, it's easily worth another $300 above that price.

No it's not. :D

I gave mine to a friend to use who was able to get $300 for it with case in mint condition 3 years ago. :o

That particular model has no real "vintage" value as they are regarded as mediocre intermediate level guitars in collector circles.

• Members

No it's not.
:D

I gave mine to a friend to use who was able to get $300 for it with case in mint condition 3 years ago.
:o

That particular model has no real "vintage" value as they are regarded as mediocre intermediate level guitars in collector circles.

Late 70's Ibanez LP's go for $700 all day long on the market, I don't know what you are talking about? If you can get one for under $500 you have a deal.

Remember prices on everything are going up, not down. Right or wrong, they are going up. It's hard to get cheap teisco guitars for under $100 these days. I remember when they went for $20 all day long. Now I will admit if it was an actual Lawsuit with the bookmark headstock then it would be worth a bit more.

Just because you didn't care for yours doesn't mean that's not what people are selling them for. I can't stand MIA fenders at all, but they go for outrageous prices. I don't think they are worth it, but other people will pay it, and that's what makes the market what it is.

• Members

The bolt on neck ones don't.
:D

Sadly they do. :( Maybe not on evilbay, but the last few stores I popped my head into have a couple bolt ons for $600-750. I wouldn't pay that much for one mind you, and I think $400 is reasonable.

Which is funny because my fave shop has an 80' artist set neck for $430 right now >.> Considering trading or selling some stuff for it...

Archived