How is the Behringer DMM clone compared to the EHX?

• Members

I'm starting to get into some home recording, and wanna grab a few budget stomps for some added trippiness. I don't have 350$ or whatever for the DMM, but the Behringer copy is like 70 bucks... I imagine they don't sound exactly the same but does the price diff. "quantify" the difference in sound quality? Is it a pretty decent pedal to bother with, or should I just look for these effects in individual boxes?

• Members

I'm starting to get into some home recording, and wanna grab a few budget stomps for some added trippiness. I don't have 350$ or whatever for the DMM, but the Behringer copy is like 70 bucks... I imagine they don't sound exactly the same but does the price diff. "quantify" the difference in sound quality? Is it a pretty decent pedal to bother with, or should I just look for these effects in individual boxes?

EHX just announced two new delay pedals that might be in your price range:

Memory Boy

Memory Toy

I've been told my $50 Mars Analog Delay (sold new on eBay) sounds DMM-like. It can't self-oscillate though and there's no modulation.

• Members

Whoah... good thing I asked. Thanks, guys. I'll be avoiding this...

Seeing as I've got a Carbon Copy and an '81 Ibanez CS9 Chorus, I doubt I really need this thing, but the vibrato+chorus modulation type stuff had me intrigued.

Looks like it'll be a DE-7.

• Members

I bought one a while back out of curiosity and it sounded like {censored}. No headroom and lifeless garbled repeats. Doesn't even sound good as a budget analog delay. Absolute crap. Get a Line 6 Echo Park instead, that thing slays this POS.

:thu:

And used it is cheap enough and good enough to keep as a second delay if you upgrade later.

• Members

N/m... just saw it on WMS for 98$... damn... that's a {censored}ing steal, esp. compared to the CC, and you get a LOT more!

Holy {censored}! Why even bother with an Echo Park or that Behringer for that price?

And the Memory Boy has an exp pedal input!!!

• Members

Whoah... good thing I asked. Thanks, guys. I'll be avoiding this...

Seeing as I've got a Carbon Copy and an '81 Ibanez CS9 Chorus, I doubt I really need this thing, but the vibrato+chorus modulation type stuff had me intrigued.

Looks like it'll be a DE-7.

DE7 FTW!! $40, can't go wrong...

Why does everyone keep recommending the Memory Boy??!? NO ONE's EVEN PLAYED IT YET!! I don't understand this... :idk: ... seriously, people around here recommend all kinds of stuff w/o ever playing on them.

• Members

DE7 FTW!! $40, can't go wrong...

Why does everyone keep recommending the Memory Boy??!? NO ONE's EVEN PLAYED IT YET!! I don't understand this...
:idk:
... seriously, people around here recommend all kinds of stuff w/o ever playing on them.

I guess in this situation it's because it's ~100$ and does most of what the DMM does, and would be a safer bet than the Behringer, for only 30$ more. :idk:

Plus you know everyone wants SOMEONE to get it... :lol:

plus expression pedal input FTW! I can't even imagine how cool that could be... My bud has often dreamt of an expression that could alter the speed on an analog delay, using it to control oscillation.:love::love:

I have to say, that would be {censored}ing rad!

• Members

I guess in this situation it's because it's ~100$ and does most of what the DMM does, and would be a safer bet than the Behringer, for only 30$ more.
:idk:

Plus you know everyone wants SOMEONE to get it...
:lol:

plus expression pedal input FTW! I can't even imagine how cool that could be... My bud has often dreamt of an expression that could alter the speed on an analog delay, using it to control oscillation.
:love:
:love:

I have to say, that would be {censored}ing rad!

I agree, it LOOKS like an awesome pedal, and there are a couple sound clips out there... but come on... nobody's actually owned it yet and no one can truthfully say that it will sound as good as a DMM... yet.

I just say wait to recommend something until it's actually AVAILABLE to the public.

For the record, if it's good/great, I'll possibly be selling my Carbon Copy to get it. The expression pedal input does look very intriguing... I still think it would've been more useful to put a tap tempo input on there instead (probably would've cost a bit more), but yeah, oscillation control will be nice.

• Members

The Behringer pedal doesn't sound like a DMM. It also doesn't sound horrible. The delays are very washed and subtle, but it doesn't overload or clip any more than the DMM does without a mod. I repeat, it is NOT like the DMM, but it has its own vibe and isn't garbage... I can get half reverb/half delay tones for days. Better for recording than live, though.

Archived