More sustain without distortion, how?

brebis

• Members

Hi!

I would like to increase the sustain of my sounds (clear and distorted) but do not what to use a distortion or fuzz pedal.

I think compressor pedals would be good but I do not like the way they cut the attack, it sounds unnatural.

Any idea?

Thank you!

• Members

What kind of guitar are you using? Also, how worn are the frets?

Compression is the obvious choice as you say, but don't be so quick to dismiss them, there are many on the market, you might find the one for you that you can dial in just right.

• Members

I have a Fender Strato and the frets are not worn.

Are there compressors that enable you to set the sustain without changing the attack?

Compression doesn't really work that way, by nature it will affect your attack. The reason your signal will appear to have more compression is because it is levelling out the sound, making the quieter sounds appear louder. So as your signal dies away on a held note, the compression boosts it to make it appear as loud as when you first played it.

It does this with the whole signal, which is why your picking sounds also appear really loud. Attack control will be trying to set when the compression hits, so it might feel unnatural at first, and will need tweaking.

• Members

Use higher gage strings maybe, and higher string action? If you've got a guitar with a floyd rose, replace the block with a big fat brass block:

http://floydupgrades.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66&zenid=cfqcb4uolot3dls1vtg28sml82

I'm sure there are similar products for vintage trems. I haven't tried this myself but I might in the future(don't want to now since I use Tremol-no's, and they're incompatible with these big blocks). I hear it really makes a world of a difference in sustain and tone, more than pickups.

Sustain really comes down to the frets IMO.

• Members

Sustain is in the fingerz, practice sustaining notes without the guitar plugged in. Oh and playing through a quality amp helps too.

There is a lot to this. :thu: Vibrato helps, especially with very slightly rough frets.

• Members

Can you not get a delayed compression that only applies after say .1 seconds, thus leaving your attack in place, but giving you more sustain?

you mean like a compressor with an attack knob?

maybe a release knob also for haha's.

:rolleyes:

• Members

gee, a $2k 1176 would be overkill for plugging into an amp -- it would be better in a recording chain or for mixdown . . . unless this is a joke.

I use a Boss cs-2 and adjust the "attack" knob until it sounds right. This comp colors your sound a little, but the sustain it gives you is more natural and less obnoxious than say a Ross or MXR.

• Members

Turn the amp up. You can get any amp to the point that its not quite "feeding back" but its naturally sustaining the note, or "singing" - when you get that, you can hold the same note for an hour, if your hand can take it. You might have to mess with your location versus the amp (meaning, you might have to stand right next to it, or in some other specific spot).

• Members

different guitar and better fingers man.... (not calling your fingers bad btw). if you have a maple neck on the strat then you won't really get the sustain that you would out of a neck through rosewood ish type setup. also.. if the strat has singles then go to hums.

• Members

Hi!

I would like to increase the sustain of my sounds (clear and distorted) but do not what to use a distortion or fuzz pedal.

I think compressor pedals would be good but I do not like the way they cut the attack, it sounds unnatural.

Any idea?

Thank you!

While trying not to sound pedantic, can I ask for more context information?

Guitar make and model, string make and guage, amp, pedal chain, even style of music - all make an important contribution. Thanks!

Archived