More sustain without distortion, how?

brebis

• Members

I have a Fender strat (bought new in 2000) with a maple neck (did not know that rosewood neck was better for sustain) directly plugged into a Fender Twin Amp (the one with a saturated channel).

The pickups are noiseless type and not too close to the strings. I play rock and blues with .09-0.42 strings.

• Members

I have a Fender strat (bought new in 2000) with a maple neck (did not know that rosewood neck was better for sustain) directly plugged into a Fender Twin Amp (the one with a saturated channel).

The pickups are noiseless type and not too close to the strings. I play rock and blues with .09-0.42 strings.

Try heavier strings, I find 9's to be really thin.

• Members

I think compressor pedals would be good but I do not like the way they cut the attack, it sounds unnatural.

Nah, it depends on the compressor pedal.

Optical compressors seem to be the way to go. Be prepared to budget accordingly. The Maxon CP-101 has a good rep, but I dunno how the reissue compares to the original.

This guy's funky attack does not seem to be hurt by his Retrosonic compressor:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Other options: E-Bow, Sustainiac

• Members

Great stuff, loads of info.

Looks like you really dig a pure & clean tone with no noise sources, and light strings. This might make a compressor the wrong choice for you as many are a bit hissy (especially the Boss CS-2, yuck), but other suggestions in the thread may well be worth trying out in your local dealership.

To help out along the way, here are a few other ideas:-

Take your string guage up a tiny notch with 9.5 D'addario's guage - http://store.daddario.com/category/145824 - these are great strings, just that tiny bit more oomph and 'feel' than 9's but still with all the flex, brightness and clarity.

If you go for a new string guage, make sure to get the whole setup adjusted accordingly. There's little truth in the idea that a higher action will make for more sustain; as long as there's no fret buzz then there's nothing sucking energy from the string's vibration.

I will add another vote for the Groove Tubes Fat Finger. See HC's reviews! http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Groove+Tubes/Fatfinger/10/1 - this will be good for compensating for the maple neck.

Take your playing volume up a 'cent or two. Again, as per previous suggestions. While you're at it though, take a look at the positionging of your amp in the practice space. Experiment with different amp positioning and moving yourself around in relation to it too - I'd do this on my own so the rest of the band don't take the p**s! ;)

Putting together a few of the ideas we've all put your way should go a long way to solving your problem - I think there's no one-stop solution though, you'll need a little time and perseverance, but it'll come to you.

And good luck :thu:

• Members

It would be very easy to create a digital effect that kept the sound of a note at a particular level after the attack. You'd have to track the volume of the note (easy). When the volume is above your sustain threshold, you do nothing. When the the volume falls below your sustain threshold, you boost gain to keep it there, and at some point, you give up and gate off the end of the note.

If this hasn't been done, I'd guess it's because the other solutions posted in this thread are effective enough to make it not necessary. Particularly using a standard compressor and setting the attack to an appropriate time.

Archived