Ensoniq TS-10 mad prices...

• Members

I know people who own TS-1x boards.

They were the pinnacle of user friendly sampling OS and nothing better has been developed since. Every time a new sampling board comes out, the common complaint is that they are not as easy or intuitive to use as the TS-1x.

TS-1x owners tend to buy spares for backups or for parts. They are that dedicated to the thing!

• Members

I know people who own TS-1x boards.

They were the pinnacle of user friendly sampling OS and nothing better has been developed since. Every time a new sampling board comes out, the common complaint is that they are not as easy or intuitive to use as the TS-1x.

TS-1x owners tend to buy spares for backups or for parts. They are that dedicated to the thing!

You can't sample on a TS-10, but you can play back ASR-10 sounds on disk.

• Members

Damn it! WFT is going on with the TS-10 thing?

Last two on eBay went for $1200. For a 14 years old digital synth? They were $600 two years ago, $900 year ago, and now they score $1200. Some guy even asking 1350. WTF?

Well considering the whole market for synths has gone ape-sh!t, I'm not suprised although that's one to scratch off my list for good if the prices never come down. Just look at the Roland AX-7 and you won't be suprised at any other synth. And the AX-7 is only a cheap piece of plastic, no synth engine, it's only a controller.... And if you must know I saw a couple crazy asses trying to get $2300 for them.

Stories Stories Stories. Tell me more :bor:

• Members

Its all
your
fault, Don!

Haha! Yeah. :p

Anyway, i think it is the SOUND, specifically:

-- converters

-- antialiasing filters

-- transposition algorithms

All these three somehow sound damn good in Ensoniq TS and ASR series. I don't know, maybe they are not technically precise and mathematically accurate like those made by Japanese (i.e. Akai), but they sound BETTER.

On Akai when you transpose a sample, it turns into something that sounds a little bit "plastic". On Ensoniq it stays just the same, if not better, overall much WARMER!

I'd say this a typical "American style" music device design, where designers are not only engineers but audiophiles too!!!

• Members

Anyway, i think it is the SOUND, specifically:

It certainly wasn't the UI. I went to Ensoniq School (that was very cool, BTW) and still couldn't get anyone to buy those back in 1994. They made the Roland JV-1000 look user friendly (with it's ingenious "glue on" sequencer).

• Members

It certainly wasn't the UI. I went to Ensoniq School (that was very cool, BTW) and still couldn't get anyone to buy those back in 1994.

Ditto. I went to the Ensoniq School in PA about the same time when I was selling them, and while it was interesting the units just weren't selling well. Ensoniq tried to pep talk you into selling their synths but everyone knew they were shelf dogs. I did a lot better selling Kurzweils. I could've earned a free TS-10 through spiffs if I sold enough of them but Ensoniq sales were down and I simply never wanted one.

• Members

A friend of mine had one around 1996 that he'd had for a few years. He brought it over to my place a couple times and it had some good patches, a unique "sound" probably because of the Ensoniq architecture, and a good keybed. I didn't think it was miles ahead of any other romplers of the time though, sounded better than a Korg X3 but not as good as whatever Roland had out at the time.

The big problem was it was unreliable. He would turn it on one day and it was locked up. It would stay that way for sometimes months at a time, or sometimes only days, and then mysteriously boot back up as normal.

• Members

I had a TS10 I bought back around 93 or 94. I was a little reluctant to get one at first because I had heard from other players that Ensoniq KB's weren't reliable. But I had a great dealer in Altoona PA (Ford's Music) and their tech is top-knotch. So I bought one. I upgraded the sequencer and sample memory to max, and I kept up with the OS upgrades. I was playing full time back then and I can't even estimate how many hours that synth was on. I NEVER had a problem with it, ever.

The action is semi-weighted but is VERY good. The synth was very easy to use. I created tons of sequencers on it for my classic rock show. It had sample playback capabilities, but it wasn't a full fledge sampler. My dealer had tons of ASR samples to copy for free, so there were a lot of neat things I could load on it to merge onto my sequencer tracks.

Funny thing is, someone in the NY area called me last week asking if I still had it. I had it listed on a number of free websites, no bites. I sold it last year for $750.00 on Evilbay.

Compared to my Motif ES8 it's sounds weren't up to snuff, but considering it was a late 80's design, not too shabby for the time period it was a current workstation. I got more than my money's worth from the TS10.

Mike T.

• 11 years later...

Archived