What do you guys use for backup guitars?

Kid_A

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a '62 ri Tele and a Jazzmaster that I use but these guitars are way too different from one another to be interchangeable.

This is why I want a Strat so bad. A strat could "back up" both guitars. Really, if you think about it, a Strat (although it's not the most exciting guitar in the world) can handle just about any type of music in the hands of a capable musician. Maybe that's why I've never gotten along with them!

• Members

My mains guitars are my Sheraton 2/Gibson LP VM and White Falcon.. with the latter being the one of choice... but I have a Tele CV just in case I'm playing somewhere I don't really care about (it doesn't get used a whole lot)...

I play the White Falcon and Sheraton on Sunday mornings and use the LP at youth services... if I'm playing at a small venue I'll bring the Sheraton because I don't want to risk the WF getting damaged...

I also have an Epi Firebird, but I don't really care for it... need to get rid of it actually...

• Members

I don't usually end up gigging with a backup and usually {censored}e myself at every gig. I just got a cheap Strat which I might take as a backup. I could probably get away with any single-coil Fender type thing.

A backup has to be something similarly voiced. I could never have a Gibson or something as a backup because it'd just sound too different and throw the whole sound.

• Members

no back ups and my guitars are miles apart from eachother, but can handle each other's territory admirably.

gibson flying v and fender telecaster

for your needs, i strongly recommend the ltd eclipse or viper line. an ec-400 or vp(?) 400 is a killer guitar for around 400 bucks used

• Members

My main guitar is a Burny Les Paul Custom and as much as id love to have a tele, rickenbacker, 335... i dont
need
those... what I do need is a backup guitar though...

So, do you guys just have a similar guitar to your main one, or do you have something completely different because you dont want two of the same guitars? Im starting to think i just need a backup les paul..

You know, you can generally cop a decent hi gain tone with a 335. You can't hit metal territory, but most rock can be covered well with a 335.

• Members

I have 3 guitars on stage when we play... My two main guitars that get equal use are my ES-339 and 62 Tele, both are in standard I just swap em around for different tones. My backup for my 339 is my SG Classic, which is also in standard unless we play a random cover that I need an Eb guitar for. My tele never breaks strings, but if it did I could really use either the SG or 339 and the crowd probably wouldn't even notice.

• Members

Damn.... some nice guitars in this thread... this thread kinda backfired, especially after seeing that Heritage 335!

Daz, try and get hold of a Reverend Roundhouse HB, superb guitars and a great back up to your Burny.
This ain't spam either, Reverend stopped making them and I'm sold out of them (apart from a lefty)...

Hmmm, im really not keen on the look of it, though i think the reverand single coil/offset stuff looks classy as!

Daz, have a hunt around and keep an eye out for Yamaha Lord Players. It's Yamaha's take on the Les Paul and apparently got renamed Studio Lord as Lord Player (LP) was a bit too close to Les Paul for the Gibson lawyers to rest easy.

Andy, interesting, thanks for the headsup, going to keep an eye out for these thanks.

Saying all this though... I have just bought something... probably not what i should of but we will see... :)

• Members
Agreed on the Burny necks being really big. I played one a couple of years ago that should have been renamed John Holmes because of the girth
:D

:lol:

wait... i dont want to hold girth.... :facepalm:

So i just met a formite at lunch to get a Squire Thinline Tele for

Archived