OT:Pol: and you don't have to click on it, now do you?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Instead of starting threads on HC, why not protest, yell and scream where your voice might be heard?

oh but that would take a little more effort on your part then clicking a couple times and typing out a couple figures you read.

go out and do something, Captain America

• Members

Instead of starting threads on HC, why not protest, yell and scream where your voice might be heard?

oh but that would take a little more effort on your part then clicking a couple times and typing out a couple figures you read.

I've been marching since I was a child (Century City march/police riot, 1967, when LBJ visited Los Angeles). I've been organizing since I was a teenager (McGovern campaign, 1972). I'll probably go door to door again for the Dems, if McCain gains any traction in California. And I always vote. I do what I can. :)

• Members

whoa. indeed I didnt have to click on the thread, but kinda graphic. kinda split on this, for really this is what politics is resulting in these days, yet wasn't quite expecting to see an image like that here..

I am sorry about that, but it's true we enjoy massive amounts of violence as entertainment whilst the real tragedies (and pictures) of needless war are swept under the rug, at least in this country. . .

and poop! :)

• Members

I am sorry about that, but it's true we enjoy massive amounts of violence as entertainment whilst the real tragedies (and pictures) of needless war are swept under the rug, at least in this country. . .

and poop!
:)

true that.. the press isnt even allowed to show coffins coming off planes anymore. I have been watching the way the chinese media has been distorting news around whats happening in Lhasa, and its not only infuriating but eerily familiar...

• Members

Thanks for that, Kooki. I mean, for the occasional off topic thread I would much rather talk about tea and Thomasina Tittlemouse:

thomasinatittlemouseqz3.jpg

After all, today I had lunch at the Tudor House, in Santa Monica. Scones, curry salad, Scottish Breakfast tea, and Scottish waitresses! But the bloody stupid war continues, and the 4000 dead mark deserves a mention, and perhaps a picture that reflects the reality of the situation.

I posted a similar thread at the 3,000 mark, and will do so again at the 5,000 mark, if there is one (God forbid) and if our moderators allow it.

In any case, I don't wish to argue with anyone, just observe this hideous event. So now this thread can sink in peace, without gratuitous intervention from on high, I hope.

Fluffy bunnies and birdies, I luff you all. :)

• Members

As a milestone reminder, I guess it is even healthy.

We are a community and it is important being aware of what is going on out there.

Discussing
politics, tough, belongs into another entire forum.

A thin line that has not been crossed yet.

Hi Gus!:wave:

• Members

650,000 Iraqis dead since war started, according to British journal The Lancet, and that was only through 2006 . . .

I have no axe to grind here, the war is a stupid waste of lives at any scale.

What does get my attention is the manufacture of misinformation. Of all data collection methods, extrapolation from small surveys is the least responsible. Given the methods used and the tiny sample set, it is difficult to view the Lancet's study in any other light.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3177653.ece

• Members

What does get my attention is the manufacture of misinformation. Of all data collection methods, extrapolation from small surveys is the least responsible. Given the methods used and the tiny sample set, it is difficult to view the Lancet's study in any other light.

Yeah, but it makes the USA and George Bush look as evil as he can possibly get away with and still claim to have some sort or "credibility" doing so.

How did 7500 soldiers die during the Clinton administration when that boob did nothing but attempt to neuter our military?

• Members

650,000 might be a bit too high. Where did you get your numbers from?

Actually, it's probably way too low. From my understanding the issue is this: in the past, to determine war deaths, the method deemed most reliable is to scientifically determine how much higher the death rates are than during normal periods. However, the propaganda system can't handle these kind of scientific results, and so has deemed the Lancet, and another more recent study, showing the total now as over a 1,000,000 as irrelevant. But the Lancet is a respected journal (as is the other journal responsible for the more recent study), and they are using time tested methodology.

So, where to go for estimates then? Mostly now, the U.S. press, and the government, refers to numbers that simply total the #'s of Iraqi press actually reported in the press over there. This apparently tremendously underestimates the totals.

btw, what makes you think that 650,000 is too high? Obviously you're taking the U.S. propaganda as fact. But, a moment of introspection, might make you realize that it's totally unreliable for factual information.

• Members

Ah, another one of these, I can spend my time posting to the internet about anything I want, but when anyone posts here about an important issue, to this community, he's wasting his time. Why don't you just come out and say that you're for the war, and the killing of innocent people, which is really your true agenda. Not everything in life works so neatly - 2 minutes spent here should really be spent helping the poor, etc.....your type of post is idiotic and offensive.

• Members

and poop!
:)

The press in this country presents the resentment that much of the world feels towards as as just a bunch of crazies and terrorists. Confronting the truth (the horror of our own military actions, the lies that justify them, the numbers of civilians killed, support for other governments in their military actions and suppression of various groups, etc) allows the world to make a bit more sense.

• Members

From everything I've read, their methodology is a time tested one, deemed to be the most accurate. I'd rather guess you pulled that from some propaganda orifice...

• Members

By your math that's 356.16 deaths A DAY (2493.15 a week) since the beginning of the war. Even the most slanted news outlets aren't reporting that kind of carnage out of Iraq.

This is the same Lancet that released their first "death count" early purposely to affect the 2004 election - how very objective of them.

Archived