So whats the difference between a les paul custom and a standard?

Kid_A

• Members

I've been considering a 78 Les Paul custom that a music shop has... I think I can get it for 2 grand... How are the late 70's Gibsons? It felt great...

How it feels is most important. Generally they were very heavy from that time period, often exceeding 11 lbs. (which is huge dealbreaker for me). So, if you like the feel and weight and how it plays, at $2K, it'll easily maintain its value and any problems should have been worked out over 31 years.

Never got into the Customs. I'd rather have a Standard, personally.

But yeah. The differences are the fretboard materials and binding. Pretty lame.

I'm with Tom. I generally prefer the look, feel and sound of a Standard over the Customs.... I'd rather have a Deluxe than a Custom... to each their own I guess. :idl:

PS The "real" customs have all mahogany bodies with no maple cap...

• Members
How it feels is most important. Generally they were very heavy from that time period, often exceeding 11 lbs. (which is huge dealbreaker for me). So, if you like the feel and weight and how it plays, at $2K, it'll easily maintain its value and any problems should have been worked out over 31 years.

my local place actually has a '73. Quite tempting to show up with the Jazzmaster and a wad of cash for it. And I'm not even big on Humbuckers :lol: but damn does that aged binding look sick

• Members

my local place actually has a '73. Quite tempting to show up with the Jazzmaster and a wad of cash for it. And I'm not even big on Humbuckers
:lol:
but damn does that aged binding look sick

It's probably my age and what I'm used to but I'm still attracted to the way they did the Customs binding in the '70's, with the 5-ply binding wrapped with the creme outer binding instead of the white out binding you see on modern models.

That said, I've never been able to bond with full-size humbuckers, so I use a '72 Deluxe with mini's...

72_lp_1.jpg

• Members
It's probably my age and what I'm used to but I'm still attracted to the way they did the Customs binding in the '70's, with the 5-ply binding wrapped with the creme outer binding instead of the white out binding you see on modern models.

That said, I've never been able to bond with full-size humbuckers, so I use a '72 Deluxe with mini's...

72_lp_1.jpg

hawt.

I have massive goldtop gas right now

• Members

PRS guitars lack definite character, they sound bland....I played a bunch when I was shopping for my #1 guitar...not to mention those awful gawdy flame tops that wreak of "I'm a rich lawyer by day, and a generic blues genius by night" vibe....

i lol'd hard

everyone that I've heard say this coincidentally didn't know {censored} about woodwork, and especially topwork:lol:

• Members

PRS guitars lack definite character, they sound bland....I played a bunch when I was shopping for my #1 guitar...not to mention those awful gawdy flame tops that wreak of "I'm a rich lawyer by day, and a generic blues genius by night" vibe....

I don't really know what you mean by "character"...

A Les Paul has become such a mass produced and used instrument that it doesn't really have any attraction for me any more...

And at least the tops on PRS always look good. I've seen too many Les Pauls that are supposed to have bookmatched flamed maple tops, but don't seem to have... Recently I saw a LP Standard that had half a flamed top and half a non-flamed top. That's fugly and heavily overpriced.

Archived