Vintage Rack Gear- Who uses it, what do you use, what do you recommend?

Secret Seasons

• Members

I had one of the Roland rack units a few years back. Some of the algorithms were remarkable, even compared to what you can get today with much more powerful processing (lots of cool arppegiators, etc.), but I just got sick of trying to program it - it was an ordeal, so I just wound up using the presets. I think that's what keeps me from exploring a lot of those 80's FX units - deep menus on a tiny LCD screen :-)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got the SDX-330 in my ebay saved searches too, we might have to fight over that one ;)

the 3030 is awesome though. I love that it can do warm and subtle stuff but also get really crazy too--especially with the phasing/chorusing/flanging effects on the long delay trails. I'm gonna try to start working with the RSS midi-controlled stuff too, seems like you can do some interesting pitch bending and stuff as well. I'm hoping I can use my Kaoss Pad as a controller for that, t'would be killer.

• Members

well i'm definitely just now dipping my feet in the waters but i'm pretty comfortable with taking my time programming things, 'tis how i run most of my electronic setup in one way or another anyway haha

being able to midi sync my guitar rig w/ delays and reverb like this to my synthy stuff may prove revolutionary for my guitar playing, we shall see

• Members

Good thread. :thu:

i've had quite a few semi-vintage rack effects (i find it strange describing things as 'vintage' which are younger than me! ;))...

i've had or at least tried most of the Boss microracks; the RPQ-10, RCE-10 and the delays are all really cool.

at the moment i have a couple Award Sessionmaster AW10 preamps (really good for clean or just breaking up sounds, but i use a Palmer speaker sim with them as i don't like the onboard speaker sim that much).

i also have a Digitech RDS-1000 'Time Machine' - it's amazing! :love:

it's basically the rack version of the DOD/Digitech PDS-1000 (which a lot of people like), but with modulation and extra outputs.

i really love this thing: it does really nice digital delay; you can use the modulation to add some nice subtle tape-esque modulation, or it can get really extreme and crazy...

you can dial in excellent chorus, vibrato and flanging sounds too...

and i can spend hours messing around with the infinite repeat/sampling function.

best of all, it only cost

That is the coolest room ever. Would be tough to maintain the "smoke free environment" line, though.....
:lol:

It is nice knowing that if I ever have one of those cliche'd mid-life crisis "MUST SPEND HEAPS OF MONEY NOW" moments it'll go into something like that rather than a measly car or boat or space shuttle or something.

I dunno... a space shuttle might be kind of cool... ;):D

Here's a picture of me at Ocean Way, but in Studio D (before JJP moved into it from A). The console is a Neve 88RS.

PhilStudioDOceanWay.jpg

And another view of the Focusrite Forte in Studio A, before he moved out.

oceanway_console02.jpg

• Members

Keep going bud... the board alone cost that much (over twenty years ago!); at least it did when it was new. There aren't a lot of Focusrite consoles, and that one's had some serious mods done to it too. You're talking major bank, right there. Then we can move on to the outboard gear, the Pro Tools rig (and plug-ins), the speakers and amps, the actual building construction, acoustical design work and treatment... and it's sitting on a piece of prime Hollywood real estate. Nope, you're going to need a lot more than a million if you want a room like that - REALLY like that and not just the gear - in a location like that.

Even my humble studio is going to set you back into the six figure range...
:o

Oh wow. Yeah, I was just talking about the gear. I had no idea a Focusright console went for that much... I'm assuming it was made when Neve was working with them?

Interesting. So the question is: how does one accumulate enough money to BUY all that. Working a 9-5 doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard.

Bank loans?

Slow accumulation over time?

Not being married?

Never eating take out?

Does the studio own any of it?

I would be happy with 1/20th of that rack gear:

Neve pre (x4)

API (x4)

API 560b (x2)

Pultec (x2)

Distressor (x2)

1176's (x2)

LA2A (x2)

API 2500

Anamod AM660 (x2)

I'd be set with that.

And if I ever wanted to mix OTB, I'd just grab a Neotek or Toft ATB console on the cheap.

This room just blows my mind.

• Members

Vintage Rack Gear :thu:

Almost everything in my rack is "vintage" at least the effects anyways... I would probably cry like a little girl if i lost anything :)

Korg SDD-2000 Delay

Korg SDD-2000 Delay

Korg A3 Effects Processor

Proco R2du Distortion (dual rat in a rack)

Furman Rv-1 Spring Reverb

ADA Mp-1 (not pictured)

:thu:

IMG_0549.jpg

• Members
bricasti_m7.jpg

Not a vintage piece.
:cop::)

A buddy of mine reps these. I really need to hear one soon, but I'm a bit afraid, because everyone I know who has heard one has wanted to buy one, and they're not cheap.
But the word on the street is that they sound glorious - even better than something like a Lexicon 480 or 960

Might be because Bricasti is the same group of ex-Lexicon employees that developed the 480/960

Oh wow. Yeah, I was just talking about the gear. I had no idea a Focusright console went for that much... I'm assuming it was made when Neve was working with them?

Correct - that was when Rupert was still involved with Focusrite.

Interesting. So the question is: how does one accumulate enough money to BUY all that. Working a 9-5 doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard.

Bank loans?

Slow accumulation over time?

Not being married?

Never eating take out?

Does the studio own any of it?

Allen Sides owns some of it - certainly the console... not sure about everything else, but a lot of that stuff is JJP's personal gear.

As far as affording all of that, bank loans aren't always easy to get... but some go that route, or get a second mortgage on their homes. Many studios stick their profits (if they're making any profits - and that's never a "given") back into gear. A lot of us collect gear over the years, and that's certainly part of how you amass stuff.

As far as how JJP affords massive amounts of gear, I'm sure he's not hurting financially. He is a EVP at Interscope, and as a producer, he's worked on a lot of very well regarded and huge selling records. I assume he gets points on those, so he's probably doing very well financially. :)

I would be happy with 1/20th of that rack gear:

Neve pre (x4)

API (x4)

API 560b (x2)

Pultec (x2)

Distressor (x2)

1176's (x2)

LA2A (x2)

API 2500

Anamod AM660 (x2)

I'd be
set
with that.

And if I ever wanted to mix OTB, I'd just grab a Neotek or Toft ATB console on the cheap.

Well, if you're reasonable about it, shop around, go used and / or are willing to use clones / reproductions for some of that (Neve 1073 type preamps can be purchased at much lower prices from Vintech, Great River, BAE, etc.), that's not too expensive... not cheap mind you, but not too ridiculous. IIRC, my API 3124+ cost about $500 per channel, and that's a great deal on some world class preamps.

This room just blows my mind.

It's pretty incredible. But then again, most of the major LA studios are well stocked. His is just an extreme example. :D

Archived