Speaker break in

shipatsea

• Members

OK. I think you hit it on the head. I was not sure if the speakers I got suck or not. I got a pair of Eminence Swamp Thangs for my twin reverb which were highly recommended. I have noticed exactly what you said, they were brittle and not so loud. It's not just me.

• Members

OK. I think you hit it on the head. I was not sure if the speakers I got suck or not. I got a pair of Eminence Swamp Thangs for my twin reverb which were highly recommended. I have noticed exactly what you said, they were brittle and not so loud. It's not just me.

Eminence speakers are a pain to break in just because they're typically way high watted and it takes more to actually get the speaker moving.

• Members

It's no myth (as everyone has said)

....as recommended by Celestion.

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.

• Members

Eminence speakers are a pain to break in just because they're typically way high watted and it takes more to actually get the speaker moving.

Yeah these bitches are 150 watters. I'll run my ipod through it for a while while doing errands. I have an old set of power tubes I'll use for it. Thanks for all the advice guys. My speakers will hopefully sound less like ass by the weekend.

Archived