Slowing Economy, R U going to stop buying gear?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just finished getting rid of a bunch of stuff for a fully loaded M3. Put a good bit of coin back in my pocket as well. Just 2 hardware keys, a turntable and a pair of computers.

That's going to be it for a while after I get the VF-1. I still have a lot to really get familiar with and nobody is really making what I want right now.

• Members

You didn't give the option - "It really IS that bad, but will purchase like usual anyway". I have recording projects that require I upgrade some of my gear periodically - I have no choice. You don't have to have the latest and the greatest all the time, but you have to stay competitive . . . it's the same with performing musicians, sometimes you just have-to-buy-gear. :)

• Members
With all this talk out there about the recession
:freak:
. I was wondering are musicians such as us going to stop spending money on new gear and just save like the economist are projecting.....

Will GC, Sam Ash, Sweet water, AMS, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, etc feel the pinch?

Will we see a rise of great used gear appear on Ebay/local papers/Craigslist for great low prices
:lol:
Hohner Clavinet D6 - $300? (By the way I bought one last month in town for that, guy was selling his gear, said business was slow, it needed new strings and tips though!!)

I mean $4.00+ a gallon gas, higher prices at the grocery stores, foreclosures, layoffs, Bear Stearn bail out, Federal stimulus checks, rising energy costs? What are we to do?

I thought I would stop looking at the new gear being offered by the various companies, but got GAS and still decided to get a new stage piano and I actually feel good about it..... though I think I am going to bank my stimulus check next month.......
:lol:
but am willing to purchase used gear if at a steal!!!

Wonder if people will stay at home vs. spending the $$$ to come out to hear live music??? OMG!!!! no more paying gigs?????

Is it really going to be that bad???

How can i vote? Thread says POLL. Where is POLL?

• Members

i'm a freelance artist, so my income is directly tied to the economy. when the economy slows down, i feel it instantaneously. i won't be buying any gear for some time. but then, i already have my MEK so i'm set.

here in seattle diesel is up to $4.29 a gallon. i predict unleaded will break $4 this summer.

LOL

UK diesel is selling at an average

• Members

WTF - this is stupid - PEOPLE KEEP OUTBIDDING ME ON EBAY. Clearly this "slow economy" is a scam. And I'm ready to buy, it's not like I'm low-balling.

This is not necessary a pointer for economy growth, rather that somebody from outside the States is taking advantage of the weak Dollar!

• Members
no electricity
...acoustic music is going to make a big comeback
:wave:

A couple of months ago, we were starting our weekly Thursday jam when the power went out. All went silent and the guys took a break. Then I picked up an acoustic guitar (no acoustic pianos handy) and started to play. We managed to gather enough acoustic somethings to get going again and had a good enough time that we have an acoustic night the first Thursday of each month now. I take my guitar and a bag of rhythm instruments and we all have a very good time.

And our ears don't ring as much the next day.

• Members

Yeah....it's as bad or worse than post WWI Germany.

I know - I'm starting to get paid in Reichmarks. Good thing I bought a van to haul them in. (Van cost 12 billion Reichmarks, adujusted to post WWI economy, btw.)

Seriously, I'm urging our bandleader to try to get at least $10 more per man to help cover the cost of driving to a gig. Sad when you get paid at the end of the night, only to hand the cash over to the gas station down the road.

• Members
This is not necessary a pointer for economy growth, rather that somebody from outside the States is taking advantage of the weak Dollar!

I can get with that, a few of my last ebay sales have been from buyers in Europe, they are definately taking advantage of the weak US $$$$$, and I am not mad at that.

I'm going to ask my employer to start paying me in euros........ :thu::D

• Members

Food is delivered by deisel, which is rising in price faster than gasoline, which means food prices are about to rise rapidly too. Oil prices are only going up because of limited supply, limited refinery capability, and ever-rising demand... food prices are slaves to fuel and can only follow.

The dollar is becoming more worthless everyday. This will only make the pain of inflation more apparent in the coming months. We are on the brink of a complete economic collapse in America and possibly many other countries too.

People will be selling their gear just to eat, so if you have no other concerns then you'll be thrilled at the bargains that are coming. But don't bother saving your money since it'll be useless - buy MRE's now to trade with.

Archived