Slowing Economy, R U going to stop buying gear?

• Members

With all this talk out there about the recession :freak:. I was wondering are musicians such as us going to stop spending money on new gear and just save like the economist are projecting.....

Will GC, Sam Ash, Sweet water, AMS, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, etc feel the pinch?

Will we see a rise of great used gear appear on Ebay/local papers/Craigslist for great low prices :lol: Hohner Clavinet D6 - $300? (By the way I bought one last month in town for that, guy was selling his gear, said business was slow, it needed new strings and tips though!!)

I mean $4.00+ a gallon gas, higher prices at the grocery stores, foreclosures, layoffs, Bear Stearn bail out, Federal stimulus checks, rising energy costs? What are we to do?

I thought I would stop looking at the new gear being offered by the various companies, but got GAS and still decided to get a new stage piano and I actually feel good about it..... though I think I am going to bank my stimulus check next month....... :lol: but am willing to purchase used gear if at a steal!!!

Wonder if people will stay at home vs. spending the $$$ to come out to hear live music??? OMG!!!! no more paying gigs?????

Is it really going to be that bad???

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I mean $4.00+ a gallon gas, higher prices at the grocery stores, foreclosures, layoffs, Bear Stearn bail out, Federal stimulus checks, rising energy costs? What are we to do?

Feeling Bad on Purpose

Lesson #14

Try stating a list of things and ending with a hopeless sounding question.

Example: "Oatmeal, pencils, wheat bread, and mustard? How will we eat?"

For real effect, stand at the mirror and end the question by reaching your hands out, palms up while shrugging your shoulders. A sad expression is worth extra points.

You're almost to lesson #15. Good work, keep going!

• Members

Feeling Bad on Purpose

Lesson #14

Try stating a list of things and ending with a hopeless sounding question.

Example: "Oatmeal, pencils, wheat bread, and mustard? How will we eat?"

For real effect, stand at the mirror and end the question by reaching your hands out, palms up while shrugging your shoulders. A sad expression is worth extra points.

You're almost to lesson #15. Good work, keep going!

:blah: :blah: Obviously you have no concept of the word facetious!!!!!

• Members

I have noticed less people in music stores in the last 6 months. There have also been less instruments in stock or available. The selection in the synth rooms are not very good and there is still a large amount of older versions of synths. Every time I go to a music store they have the same things they had my last visit. It gets old after awhile not seeing anything new, even after all the new things that have been released over the last 5 months.

I don't think that the music stores are living up to the challenge of the economy and the Online music stores. Most of the time when I go to a music store I receive very poor service. Sales people do not seem to be very excited about being there to sell anything or to help people. This makes me not want to spend the money for gas to go there.

I will not be buying anything of very large expense from a regular music store. I have had it with them. If I really feel the need to buy something I will be looking at online music stores. I have done this before with guitars and effects but never with any synths. Most of the online stores have 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Also some of them have free shipping, so that is an incentive. If a person wants to order anything from a regular music store that they do not have it is a "special order" item that you have to pay for part of it up front and cannot return it for refund under any reason. At one time I was really interested in getting a Hardtailed Strat at a music store but I never actually saw any so I could never play one to see how it played, felt, sounded. They told me that I would have to special order one. I have no interest in doing that.

• Members

I have noticed less people in music stores in the last 6 months. There have also been less instruments in stock or available. The selection in the synth rooms are not very good and there is still a large amount of older versions of synths. Every time I go to a music store they have the same things they had my last visit. It gets old after awhile not seeing anything new, even after all the new things that have been released over the last 5 months.

I don't think that the music stores are living up to the challenge of the economy and the Online music stores. Most of the time when I go to a music store I receive very poor service. Sales people do not seem to be very excited about being there to sell anything or to help people. This makes me not want to spend the money for gas to go there.

I will not be buying anything of very large expense from a regular music store. I have had it with them. If I really feel the need to buy something I will be looking at online music stores. I have done this before with guitars and effects but never with any synths. Most of the online stores have 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Also some of them have free shipping, so that is an incentive. If a person wants to order anything from a regular music store that they do not have it is a "special order" item that you have to pay for part of it up front and cannot return it for refund under any reason. At one time I was really interested in getting a Hardtailed Strat at a music store but I never actually saw any so I could never play one to see how it played, felt, sounded. They told me that I would have to special order one. I have no interest in doing that.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I feel good about this. Buying gear and stuff. I've bought a ton this year and not stopping any time soon.

Thank me.

:wave:

• Members

R U capable of using "are" and "you"?

where r u buying gas for $4 and beyond?

Wow you sound like my 60+ year old mother!!! Ma is that you???? What R U a spelling teacher??? LOL

$4.00 gas, any gas station selling diesel, have U checked those prices lately?:confused:

• Members

I've spent more money since november than I have in the past 3 years. And I don't really want to slow down.

Now maybe if I stop having money I'll have to stop buying, but I'm not going to think about that.

• Members

I've spent more money since november than I have in the past 3 years. And I don't really want to slow down.

Now maybe if I stop having money I'll have to stop buying, but I'm not going to think about that.

Ditto!!! Not sure how I've been doing that???

Keep it up you've managed to keep the economy going! :lol:

LOL!!!

• Members

I have a very, very bad feeling about what's coming with the economy. I think the consequences of hyper-inflation are under reported and under estimated. I am concerned to the point of turning survivalist, possibly moving to the country and learning to live off the land again.

I could probably comfortably make music with the gear I've already got for the rest of my life. It's everything else now that concerns me.

• Members

i'm a freelance artist, so my income is directly tied to the economy. when the economy slows down, i feel it instantaneously. i won't be buying any gear for some time. but then, i already have my MEK so i'm set.

here in seattle diesel is up to $4.29 a gallon. i predict unleaded will break $4 this summer.

• Members

It's true that there are fewer people in music stores with the drop in consumer spending. Expect it to get worse. In the long run, this will also mean fewer new products from companies that have to trim down their line of products to only the top selling items.

I haven't been buying much new gear lately myself, but have purchased a few used items in the past year because the deals were too good to pass up. One thing that happens in a sinking economy is that the used market becomes more appealing as people become desperate for money and start selling their gear for whatever they can get.

Archived