Slowing Economy, R U going to stop buying gear?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want to spend more time with a P08 to decide if I should sell the Voyager and opt for another analogue poly to replace my Jup 8 I sold last fall. I am happy with my existing rig. I haven't spent much time on the Fantom X6 I bought the other week for my son either so I have plenty to keep me busy for the next few months. So far up here in Canada we haven't seen too much evidence of a real slowdown yet and with our $ at par now gear is cheap! :)

• Members
He he
:)
Unfortunately for us here in Europe it is not the case, it's even
the opposite
; I earn way less as an engineer as my american colleagues do...

So do the math.. And what is true for gas is true for real estate too ...

I guess a lot of people in the US don't realize that it's about the only country where gas is THAT cheap, even now!!!!

Here, 1 liter of gasoline is 1,43 euros. That makes it 5,4 euros per gallon, as of today
8,64 dollars
per gallon

V

No no not true gas is ~ $1.35 a gallon in IRAQ, used to be $0.05 under Saddam.....

• Members
No - the state of the economy doesn't affect the way I buy gear: always used, always look for a good deal (often a fast move on a new BIN on eBay), always cash (if I can't afford something, as much as I'd love to have it, I just don't buy and move on - credit is for bozos)

Man I feel that, I think I have just purchased my last piece of new gear in the Roland FP4. Looks like used gear on ebay/craigslist/music go round/local paper and pawn shops from hear on out..

I will need to save just in case this really gets bad, also to keep the wife off my back!!!!

Maybe I should just switch jobs and apply to work at Shell or Exxon!!! :idea: They seem to have plenty of $$$$$$$$$

• Members

I don't know why, but I obsessively scan the musical instruments sections of several area craigslist every day ... synths and recording equipment come up very rarely ... only PSRs and Casios ... I bought a Juno-106 off craigslist ... it's currently semi-abandoned in a tech's basement ... trying to figure out what to do ... I just have to get the gumption to paypal more than $300 to that dude in Germany who's making the voice chips ...

• Members

I don't know why, but I obsessively scan the musical instruments sections of several area craigslist every day ... synths and recording equipment come up very rarely ... only PSRs and Casios ... I bought a Juno-106 off craigslist ... it's currently semi-abandoned in a tech's basement ... trying to figure out what to do ... I just have to get the gumption to paypal more than $300 to that dude in Germany who's making the voice chips ...

Its all relative to where you live, I check surrounding cities within 300 miles radius, if its a great deal, I heading their way on the weekend for a road trip..... I've found some pretty great deals on CL in other cities!!!!!!

• Members

Or you could send ME $300 and I'll ship my semi-working 106 to you with a full set of working voice chips. Rip the wave chips out of the beater you got and you can have complete original-chipped Juno.

I also have a bridge and some swamp land you might be interested in... :poke:

• Members

Too much gear, too little time. Work is stressful, intense, and volatile. I want time and rest more than anything.

I need a vacation, and I mean the kind where I go to bed early, sleep well, get up after a normal night's sleep, and sit on the porch by the ocean and veg out with a good sci fi book and some coffee and listen to the waves... a nice cabin at a place I know in Maine would be perfect.

• Members

Too much gear, too little time. Work is stressful, intense, and volatile. I want time and rest more than anything.

I need a vacation, and I mean the kind where I go to bed early, sleep well, get up after a normal night's sleep, and sit on the porch by the ocean and veg out with a good sci fi book and some coffee and listen to the waves... a nice cabin at a place I know in Maine would be perfect.

Take a vacation.

If you can't take a a vacation take a day or two off.

If you can't take a day or two off, set aside a little time to plan your next vacation.

Even doing just that can take the stress off a little bit.

• Members

Take a vacation.

If you can't take a a vacation take a day or two off.

If you can't take a day or two off, set aside a little time to plan your next vacation.

Even doing just that can take the stress off a little bit.

Don't forget your keyboard on vacation!!!!! I am contemplating bringing my new Roland FP4, no need for extra speakers, got the onboard speakers built in....ahhhhhhhh!!!

Now that is a vacation!!!!

• Members

Funny but I'm buying more than ever.

This.

Money can't buy me love.

It CAN buy me synthesizers and guitar gear, though. So that's what I buy.

What's the point of saving your greenbacks if as time goes on they are worth less and less? Might as well buy what you want when your dollar still has somewhat of a relatively decent buying power.

• Members

:thu:

Welcome to my world called the Air Force. I don't think your going to find this kind of peace in America unless you are your own boss.

• Members

I will get most stuffed used or from dealers I know. I still have a S-90 from 2002 but it does the job. When you have to pay rent stuff has to take a backseat that is not essential.

I really anticipate that the used gear market is going to go up and that many music stores are going to be looking to make their money that way as they can control their margins this way, buy low, sell high.

This may be the time to purchase that Music go round franchise!!!!!!

Archived