Fender deluxe reverb reissue vs. Princeton reverb reissue?

hangwire

• Members

i didn't feel the headroom on the deluxe was that much greater than the princeton. it's not like the difference you're going to feel with a twin or something.

I agree the difference isn't as drastic as it is with a twin (unsurprisingly). But I found with the princeton, if I was playing with a drummer, that I didn't have enough headroom to get a good clean sound that could keep up, whereas with the DRRi I had plenty. The DRRI also just sounded bigger and more open. IMO of course.

• Members

I was playing the princeton recording amp yesterday, and the tone was pretty good, but I remember the DRRI just having something more magical about it. The tone was a little bit more inspiring. I want to say the 7 watts helped for some reason.

• Members

i've never had the opportunity to a/b both of them at high volumes but i'd be curious to see the results. for playing around the house, recording and jamming with friends i couldn't be more happy with the princeton. if i found myself in a full band situation playing gigs i'd probably skip the deluxe and go straight up to the super reverb.

• Members

i've never had the opportunity to a/b both of them at high volumes but i'd be curious to see the results. for playing around the house, recording and jamming with friends i couldn't be more happy with the princeton. if i found myself in a full band situation playing gigs i'd probably skip the deluxe and go straight up to the super reverb.

good call on the SR.

• Members

I mainly play at home and with just a couple of friends once in a while. No gigging at all. I have the PRRI and it is really nice for what I do. The DRRI would be a bit of overkill for me. If I needed to hang with a drummer, I would definitely go with the DRRI. Bot hare great amps in my book.

• Members

I mainly play at home and with just a couple of friends once in a while. No gigging at all. I have the PRRI and it is really nice for what I do. The DRRI would be a bit of overkill for me. If I needed to hang with a drummer, I would definitely go with the DRRI. Bot hare great amps in my book.

No doubt. If you are just playing at home the princeton is sweet. I personally prefer the blues junior to the princeton, but they are both great amps and I would be happy to play either.

• Members

John you hit nail on head. Princeton's were meant for studio's. If your going to be jamming with band or wanna be loud go for DRRI. I had DRRI and loved it. But I play at home nowadays so PRRI is perfect for me. A louder and bigger amp is just silly.

• Members

Owned both

amp.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

DRRI is louder cuts thru better with the band (1X12). Not too crazy about the 2nd channel, quite noisy. The sound is a bit more mid rangey. Wasn't too happy sold it. I now own a Princeton. Out of the box it's definitely sweeter sounding (1X10). Better sounding reverb and tremolo. I mod it with 12" speaker and a mid knob. Now it's killer! Won't cut thru a loud band though. Both great classic fender amps.

Archived