Interesting Article on Proguitarshop Marketing

SKADOOSH

• Members

I sure do watch their videos, because they are the best out there...

no way, not even close.......they are just advertsiments. (very nice ones though I suppose)

personally I prefer my video demos to be a little more critical.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

phil is entirely correct....happy turkey day phil!

PGS is a BUSINESS. their demos are not a public service they are providing. they are there to MOVE UNITS. and that's cool. i dig many of their demos too.....some are better than others.

and, with the plethora of bedroom guys like me that make our OWN demos, you can usually hear SEVERAL demos of any given pedal, and take what you like from each of them.

i try to keep my OWN demos focused on the POSITIVES. there have been a couple of pedals i was sent to demo that i never demoed.....because i didn't really "bond" with the pedal, and didn't think it sounded that good.

so..instead of doing a negative demo of that pedal, i just "pass" on it.

i prefer to keep as much POSITIVITY in my demos, and indeed my daily life, as possible.

and i will point out places where things could be improved or tweaked.

i only have endorsements with a few companies, and NONE of them have leaned on me to bend the truth. Rich Renken from Line 6 actually made sure to tell me that he did not mind if i posted negative things about the M9, and ENCOURAGED it....

however.....i have not found anything negative to bitch about with the m9 yet :love:

• Members

Well, the article - while well-written - didn't really bring anything new to the table. Of course PGS is a business, and of course their videos differ from an impartial review - in one sense, I'd say they're comparable to a demo by a music store salesperson. And as such, it's not suprising if they remove videos of gear they no longer carry, the same way a music store pulls down ads for stuff they no longer carry. Although the article says they keep the videos up, as becoming a reference library of sorts is part of the marketing strategy. The "reference library" bit is where it can get a little misleading, of course, as the videos (once again) are not really proper unbiased reviews.

The "getting paid to do videos" bit is also a bit of a grey zone - it is quite common for bigger manufacturers to supply dealers with various marketing items (anything from t-shirts, product info folders, display stands and even neon lighting, mirrors etc), while the store obviously pays for their sales staff doing their thing. But for a web-based store, pics and vids are usually the only real sales pitch/demo, making the videos a little of both. I guess that's where some of the confusion (or controversy) stems from.

/Andreas

• Members

The article is very well organized. The content, on the other hand, is as fluffy as my cats.

It is annoying that they take down old videos like the Catalinbread ones but it makes good business sense

Well we did chose to no longer do business with them. I suspect they'd have as much reason to keep the videos for Catalinbread as they do the other brands that are no longer there.

• Members

The PGS videos are a tremendous asset. I recognized them as a marketing tool, and have made an effort to patronize PGS where possible in order to maintain that asset.

The only disappointing or disturbing information in this thread is that melx has abandoned the delicious striped socks avatars.

• Members

I considered it completely obvious and already have written on the subject.

I'll take a different standpoint and say that I don't think that their demo videos are very helpful. I don't seem them really highlighting the high points of a lot of the pedals they do. A lot of them sound rather bland in their videos. They can highlight some of the sounds they do, but I don't see them fitting to my needs as much as I might like to tweak them if I had them personally.

Their new tack was to demo pedals with the gear, and in the way, that it might be used by a pro. But that's not as good as it sounds at first, because it tends to make things sound a lot more alike. The 65 Amps Soho clips, in particular, never lacked amplifier distortion, and on some of them cranking the effect's volume didn't even increase the amp volume, just the distortion.... Versus using an amplifier that is extremely clean, and more of a magnifying glass.

Also there can be a marketing advantage to mentioning some drawbacks -- it increases trust.

• Members

I considered it completely obvious and already have written on the subject.

Their new tack was to demo pedals with the gear, and in the way, that it might be used by a pro. But that's not as good as it sounds at first, because it tends to make things sound a lot more alike. The 65 Amps Soho clips, in particular, never lacked amplifier distortion, and on some of them cranking the effect's volume didn't even increase the amp volume, just the distortion.... Versus using an amplifier that is extremely clean, and more of a magnifying glass.

Also there can be a marketing advantage to mentioning some drawbacks -- it increases trust.

yeah man. That has always bugged me. Just about every vid I've seen has left me wanting... although a few have inspired some serious GAS. I would like to see more negatives mentioned, but I doubt manufactures are paying PGS to tell the consumer about the downside of their product.

• Members

The PGS videos are a tremendous asset. I recognized them as a marketing tool, and have made an effort to patronize PGS where possible in order to maintain that asset.

Pretty much this.

There is a difference between a demo and a review. I have never looked to PGS for reviews, just a demo. They do, in a sense, what you might expect the company who actually manufactures that particular product to do. I havn't ordered from PGS, but I have purchased locally stuff that I did research online and PGS was a resource, so if I were to buy online now I would more than likely give them my business.

Archived