Chasing that Sabbath/ Tony Iommi "sound"

xfactor27

• Members

And I agree with what one poaster chimed in with against the Xotic BB...the more I listened to that pedal it does lean more towards a " Bluesy Driven " sound and am thinking now that the Xotic AC Booster plus would be better. I like the feature of having two channels in one pedal too.

Just one thing... If you like the Xotic BB or AC tones then it's fine but you aren't gonna get Iommi tones out of them. They are modern sounding, compressed and have refined, smooth gain (not that that's a bad thing). I personally associate Iommi's tone with gritty, open, natural sounding overdrive.

Also from practicality point of view, bear in mind Xotic double pedals' stomp switches are "on" switch for each channel. Not one "bypass" switch and one "A/B" switch. I liked the sound of AC Plus with both channels on, but to switch it off I had to stomp on two switches. I'd have preferred it if that toggle controlling the signal chain also changed the function of one of the footswitch (say, position 1 = A/B, pos 2= A into B, pos 3= B into A), and the other switch a master bypass.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Just one thing... If you like the Xotic BB or AC tones then it's fine but you aren't gonna get Iommi tones out of them. They are modern sounding, compressed and have refined, smooth gain (not that that's a bad thing). I personally associate Iommi's tone with gritty, open, natural sounding overdrive.

Also from practicality point of view, bear in mind Xotic double pedals' stomp switches are "on" switch for each channel. Not one "bypass" switch and one "A/B" switch. I liked the sound of AC Plus with both channels on, but to switch it off I had to stomp on two switches. I'd have preferred it if that toggle controlling the signal chain also changed the function of one of the footswitch (say, position 1 = A/B, pos 2= A into B, pos 3= B into A), and the other switch a master bypass.

That same problem exists in other pedals, too.

Why doesn't the BOR have the option of boost->drive?

If it really wwas an amp, that's how it would be done.:cop:

• Members
This could get you some OR style Orange tones, which I have always thought had a good tone for Black Sabbath style stuff.

olc_orangepeel.jpg

http://olcircuits.com/olc_orangepeel.html

I was just gonna post that :thu:

Frankly I think you should get this and build it for 90 bucks. I know its known Iommi didn't like Orange amps but listen to the sound clip and I think you'll see what I'm getting at.

No need for all these boutique treble boosters over a hundred bucks. If you really want this sound, I think this is all you need.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

DLS+Treble Booster

But if you want simple, Stomp Under Foot Screaming Panda.

It's a much improved clone of dimazio's Very Metal from 80s'

Instant Paranoid tone even with my wimpy Jazzmaster.

lesser noise then most of the distortion I've tried.

Interesting--I've got a DiMarzio Very Metal on the way!

Archived