Does anyone else think Guns n Roses is over-rated?

mikeoxlong

• Members

I loved Appetite when it came out, and still think it's one of the great hard rock albums made. The Use your Illustions I&II had some good songs on it too, but they were clearly heading downhill way too fast. Drugs and alcohol really took their toll. It's too bad too, I wish they could have had someone keep their {censored} together. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to work/live with Axl.

As for Axl's voice, it's an acquired taste. It is definitely unique, and at times quite good, but live I've heard it can sound pretty bad too. He kinda reminds me of what Janis Joplin was like in the 60s. Harsh, wholly, and yet there was a soft side to it at times too.

Overall, a great first album that never had the same following after that. Chinese Democracy doesn't seem like the same band, although I actually liked it more than I expected, but it's a little too late I'm afraid.

• Members

I :love:'d Appetite for Destruction. Some great songs on there. One of the first albums I could play all the way through. The other albums, I could care less.

Though I will say I {censored}ing hate Slash and all his 12 year old fans who think he's god incarnate. I swear if I walk into another music store and I see some kid doing rock poses while butchering Sweet Child of Mine, I will start smashing things.:facepalm:

• Members

You're out of your mind. Appetite is a top five album of all time, at least if you grew up in the 80's/90's. It was pure {censored}ing attitude! And just sooo raw and honest. And Izzy and Slash? C'mon, easily the coolest and most musical co-guitarists I can think of. The guitar parts on Appetite are pretty brilliant.

Having said that... I hated everything they did after Lies.

• Members

At the time of their prime, no. I give more credit to them for putting the true attitute and spirit back into rock than Nervana did.

The problem with looking back on these things is that people tend to put the bands out of context. For what they did, when they did it, GnR will forever be awesome

• Members

Appetite for Destruction, for me, is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. I {censored}ing love every song. Night Train has some of my favourite lead work ever.

Are GNR over-rated? I don't think so. Appetite alone makes them one of the best bands ever for me. The other albums are {censored}e IMO, but Appetite is so good that I don't think they can be over-rated.

Having said that, Axel does seem to be a totaly douche and I can see why his voice could piss people off. But come on, Slash's guitar work is superb - his tone might not be to everyones taste but {censored}ing hell the dude can play.

• Members

You're out of your mind. Appetite is a top five album of all time, at least if you grew up in the 80's/90's. It was pure {censored}ing attitude! And just sooo raw and honest. And Izzy and Slash? C'mon, easily the coolest and most musical co-guitarists
I
can think of. The guitar parts on Appetite are pretty brilliant.

Having said that... I hated everything they did after Lies.

+1

• Members

You was either into hair metal or thrash

I guess your gonna say Metallica from that era was overrated too

At the time i was in my mid teens and into Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, all that stuff but i loved Guns n' Roses too when Appetite came out. Although it was nothing new (Aerosmith had been at it for years) it was still a breath of fresh air. Metal/rock was becoming overly produced polished guff (listen to 1987 by Whitesnake), Appetite re-set the clock and felt 'real' by comparison.

Saw them in 87 and 88 when they were on form but lost interest by the time the big bloated double album nonsense came out.

When i hear Appetite today it gives me a nostalgic buzz but nothing more, i've moved on.

• Members

Appetite - brilliant album.

Lies - some interesting stuff

Use Your Illusions I & II - amazing.

Spaghetti Incident - Pass.

Chinese Democracy - Pass.

Certainly not a perfect band, but way better than most of the sh!t that pollutes the airwaves now. For those of you that say Slash is over-rated, let's see you play it. Guitar down to his knees, soloing using the neck pickup, didn't really "hide" behind his effects. He's a great guitarist. Combine that with he, Izzy, and Duff rockin', there were some amazing songs written in those days.

Within seconds, everyone on the planet can recognize "Welcome to the Jungle." I'm talkin' African bushmen know the song.

Archived