I am never practicing with the band again w/o earplugs...

chu2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My grandma's hearing is totally shoot and she was never exposed to any rock/punk/metal shows or band practices with heavy hitting, cymbal smashing drummers like I have. I use ear plugs but the thought of a future where I can't enjoy them sonic pleasures makes we wanna upgrade 'em to the best I can afford.

• Members

I try to wear them when I play with people. I get what I think is tinnitus. Occasionally my ears just start ringing.

I hate my job for it. I can't wear ear plugs because I can't hear accurately (i'm a live sound engineer)

I need to get some musicians ear plugs for practice. I hate the foam ones.

• Members

Apparently if you're listening to music at a volume where you can't hear what people are saying to you, it's way too loud and majorly increases risk of Tinnitus. Can't see the point of playing loud in practices, when I play with a Big Band I barely turn my volume up on a 100 watt amp above 9.00, and I sit next to the drummer, but I can hear myself, and everyone else can hear me and I can hear everyone else.

• Members

I started wearing ear protection recently. I've started jamming with a drummer and that crash cymbal makes my ears ring. I picked up a box of these cheap ones. I like the purple and yellow ones better though. I have a big set of ears, like Paul Gilbert wears, for when I'm at the range.

I like the smaller ones than the big ones that cover your whole ear.

earplugs.jpg

• Members

A good bud of mine was at the NAMM show, talking to the makers of a brand of the in ear monitors that also have built in mics to pick up ambient sound. This makes it feel /sound more realistic to the user , as you can mix between what's fed into your ears from the monitor mix and the "real world" ambient mic pickup. They were discussing hearing protection, and how loud the IEMs can get, & he told my friend that they are designed to hit up to 120 db!! WTF.
Then he mentioned that bands that play the large arena/ stadium gigs have a very hard time hearing themselves onstage above the crowd noise, which gets up to around 110db. holy {censored}. No wonder many rock musicians go deaf.:eek:

• Members
120dB IN EAR?

I thought the idea of those was that you could get away with them being quieter!

Well, they are CAPABLE of that level, and in situations such as the example above, they need to "go there". But yeah, that sounds bat{censored} crazy - you only have one set of ears. :eek:
Both of my folks are deafened, my Mom wears hearing aids. I can't imagine that..I love hearing music too much!

There are several brands of earplugs that attenuate db levels , but still retain full frequency response. If the alternative is losing your hearing forever.....?
I say ...wear 'em.

Archived