I am never practicing with the band again w/o earplugs...

chu2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ear plugs kill tone...

So?

enjoy your tone when you're playing quietly at home or recording.

save your ears when you're playing live or in band practise where your tone doesn't really make a {censored} of difference anyway, whatever people would like to convince themselves.

• Members
Have you guys ever tried these?

453072CLG.jpg

It's basically the same attenuation you'd get from a custom set minus the ear mold. (so they say, I've never had a pair)

This is what I use. They work pretty well, but don't cut volume as much as I would like. That being said, it essentially leaves the tone alone.

• Members

My ears have been ringing consistantly since last March. Prior to that they would start ringing an hour or so before I went to bed then quiet when I woke up. My POD with headphones pushed them over the edge but they have been trapped in many a rehearsal room competing with drums, bass, guitars and such years back. The first couple of months was maddening and I was considering putting a noose around my neck. I've become used to it over time and fortunately the ringing does fluctuate in volume, tone, hiss, and panning in the strereo spectrum, lots of variety.

Steve

• Members

When I have to wear ear plugs when playing bars, that means the customers need them too...you guys ever think of that...you don't think that's too loud?

Yeah that makes for a fun time, the band has ear plugs and the audience is dancing with their fingers in their ears...

• Members
Have you tried the custom molded ones?

When I was running live sound a lot I'd get everything set and then put in plugs for a lot of bands
:lol:

with really loud bands I do that. or with really {censored}ty ones :lol:

the one thing is if I do have to pull one out for some reason mid set, it's horrible for your hearing. The jump between dB level is ridiculous.

• Members

When I have to wear ear plugs when playing bars, that means the customers need them too...you guys ever think of that...you don't think that's too loud?

Yeah that makes for a fun time, the band has ear plugs and the audience is dancing with their fingers in their ears...

So when you have the power to do so, you turn down. When the levels are being set by a tech; you look after yourself first and foremost. Plus, maybe those guys go to one gig a fortnight, and you're playing 3 a week. It matters.

When i was in a gigging band we'd wear plugs the whole night, take them out to play and then put them back in. 30 minutes to play was manageable but 3 hours for all the bands playing wasn't.

Archived