any love for Firebirds here?

companyman

• Members

It's just an aesthetic.. doesn't have a "sound". I don't really care either way, but the really old ones looked way better.

I disagree, they have a different "Gibson" sound, not as fat as a Les Paul, but with the same volume output, but different than an SG, more jangle, especially with the set up of the Firebird VII. Having the third pickup in the middle position, that can be blended in with whatever bridge/neck configuration you are in is sweet! Add a maestro that stays in tune reasonably....I am facing a difficult parting with my Les Paul......bleak, but if I can scale back with a Epi Firebird VII , it could be cool. Perhaps some upgrade in electronics could make it legit.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What about making a Firebird Jr or something?

That would be freaking awesome

I think they did make a single bridge pickup model. Does anyone have recommendations on some good mini-humbucker replacements? Have to look into Fralins or some of the other makers to see what is out there, this could be fun.

• Members

i love my epi firebird studio but the neck heaviness is a pain in the ass. Can you move the strap button to the back???

Also what pickups should i put in for sort of classic rock/ modern alternative stuff. Something versatile really

I moved mine to the back, and it cured the neck-dive. I recommend it. I centered it about a half inch or so back from the neck-joint.

I find pickup preference to be extremely personal and subjective. I can't really offer advice there, but I can tell you what I didn't like about the pickups I've been through with this guitar:

Stock Epi 'buckers: MUDFEST! Hated 'em, took them out immediately. I am not, and have never been, a humbucker fan, but I think Epi 'buckers are pretty widely reviled even among humbucker aficionados.

Lace Sensor Alumitones: Okay, but kinda thin and mid-rangey sounding. Nasal, I guess? I didn't get along with them. Completely pin-drop quiet, though. I'd like to try them again sometime in a different guitar. Maybe an archtop...

Fralin Twangmaster (neck) and Fralin P-92 (bridge): Pretty good, and noiseless as advertised, but the 92 seems a little underpowered/thin, and the TM doesn't quite have the snap and growl of a single coil (you know, that "CHUNG" when you really dig into an open low E string? :love: ), which is supposedly what they are. The Twangmaster sounds a little more hollow, a little softer... it sounds almost like the neck/mid parallel tone on a strat. Which is good for what it is, but I like a straight up neck position single coil tone for the lion's share of my stuff.

I've got a pair of GFS Dream 90s waiting to be installed this weekend. I'll report back with my opinions/findings.

• Members

I'm thinking about picking up a MIK Firebird VII, for the 3 pickup blended tones and the maestro (not sure about this, I loathe Bigsby's, but have read good things about the tuning stability on the maestro's). any one using one of these with some input?

Like the one in my avatar? It's built well, definetely has it's own sound with the minibuckers, plus it looks great. The Maestro trem arm stays in tune well on mine.

firebird-1.jpg

• Members
grant_nicholas.jpg

I had an old '76 Firebird and it was terribly neck heavy. Sadly it never occurred to me to move the strap button behind the neck like this guy did.

the neck issues are slightly concerning, but if moving the strap button to the heel is all it takes, I'm all over a Firebird!

• Members

why this instead of an epi?

I haven't decided yet, still have to get my Gibson sold...I'm looking at the Dillions mostly because I want a white one....or maybe the Tobacco-burst, but they don't come with a maestro. I haven't seen a white Epi Firebird VII on ebay, not even sure if they were made. I mostly see the cardinal red models, those are just not for me....ehhh the searching is half the fun. Those Dillions are Korean made and get really good reviews.

Archived