OT: Bridge pickup in a Les Paul.

MakuseruSukotto

• Members

I've got a 1990 LP Studio, it's got a set of 57 classics in it, and I LOVE the neck position. But the bridge is lacking.

It's just too snappy and thin, so I'm going to replace it with something (preferably from GFS since its cheap).

I was thinking a Retrotron or a Dream 90/180.

What would you guys recommend?

• Members

I've got a 1990 LP Studio... But the bridge is lacking. It's just too snappy and thin, so I'm going to replace it with something (preferably from GFS since its cheap).

What would you guys recommend?

More information. What are you playing through and what do you want?

For whatever reasons Les Paul owners can fall into the pickup flipping game and never are satisfied past the honeymoon period. The result is often they dump the guitar and blame it on Gibson QC or whatever. Imo, most of the time it has more to do with user error, either improper amp eq and/or playing technique than it is with pickup choice.

• Members

More information. What are you playing through and what do you want?

For whatever reasons Les Paul owners can fall into the pickup flipping game and never are satisfied past the honeymoon period. The result is often they dump the guitar and blame it on Gibson QC or whatever. Imo, most of the time it has more to do with user error, either improper amp eq and/or playing technique than it is with pickup choice.

I've had the LP for like 6+ years now, I absolutely love it. I use the neck pickup 90% of the time, so It's never really bothered me much, but now I'm starting to use the bridge a bit more, so I want to swap that out for something.

I'm playing into Ampegs right now.

And as far as BG goes, they sound good; but I just can't justify dropping almost $100 into a single pickup.

• Members

Sounds like you might have overcompensated your tone by focussing on the neck pickup. Adjust your pu height, adjust the eq on the amp and use your tone control.

To me it doesn't make sense to replace a well-made pickup, with a proven track record, for a cheaply built replacement.

• Members

Sounds like you might have overcompensated your tone by focussing on the neck pickup. Adjust your pu height, adjust the eq on the amp and use your tone control.

To me it doesn't make sense to replace a well-made pickup, with a proven track record, for a cheaply built replacement.

I've done all of that.

The pickup being "well made" has nothing to do with tone.

Twin Reverbs are "well made" and have a "proven track record" but that doesn't mean I like them.

Some people just don't like certain gear.

• Members
I've done all of that.

The pickup being "well made" has nothing to do with tone.

Twin Reverbs are "well made" and have a "proven track record" but that doesn't mean I like them.

Some people just don't like certain gear.

FTR, I love the sound of my 57 Classic set through my VT-22. It's a different setup (Jag HH, way different electronics), but I find they sound fantastic. :love:

• Members

I absolutely love the Suhr Aldrich but it's about 100 bones. I had it in my old Studio and it just slayed through my DSL100. I kind of wish I took it out before I sold the guitar.

If this Suhr pickup is anywhere near as good as those which are in my buddys Suhr Strat, it'll be very nice indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived