My Esquire build idea.

The Snake King

• Members

I woke up this morning with this idea in my head.

I'm probably going to buy a more standard tele first to help my GAS, but then immediately after begin putting this together.

I don't think I'm gonna spend a fortune doing so, just grab what parts I can over the course of 6 months or so.

Sure most people will hate it, but I would skull-{censored} this guitar into oblivion.

This pickup idea isn't set in stone & neither is the bridge, but, you can only do so much with the mock-ups.

esquirebuild.jpg

:love:

• Members

I woke up this morning with this idea in my head.

I'm probably going to buy a more standard tele first to help my GAS, but then immediately after begin putting this together.

I don't think I'm gonna spend a fortune doing so, just grab what parts I can over the course of 6 months or so.

Sure most people will hate it, but I would skull-{censored} this guitar into oblivion.

This pickup idea isn't set in stone & neither is the bridge, but, you can only do so much with the mock-ups.

esquirebuild.jpg

that's pretty much perfect! :love:

I'd go glendale three barrel brass bridge,

I like the contrast in pickguard/pickup cover

personally I prefer rosewood boards but thats pretty awesome as is!

build it!!

and do it first! :p

• Members
that's pretty much perfect!

I'd go glendale three barrel brass bridge,

I like the contrast in pickguard/pickup cover

personally I prefer rosewood boards but thats pretty awesome as is!

build it!!

and do it first!
:p

Thanks man! The contrast is exactly why I chose the cream over black, something about it against the green finish just calls to me.
Thanks for the bridge suggestion, I'll look those up.
And it's very tempting to go ahead & build this one up.....very.

• Members

I like the idea. I once saw (I think the electric guitar forum) someone who had what looked like an Esquire, but they had the neck pup mounted underneath the pickguard. I didn't think that would work, but apparently it does. So it would make the guitar look like a 1 pickup Equire, but have the ability to be a little more versatile. Something to consider perhaps.

I think the Fender G.E. Smith Telecaster has a 3 saddle type bridge that would work for your application. In his case, his bridge pup is mounted directly into the guitar's wood.

Here's a pic of the GE Smith bridge:
GESmith.jpg

• Members

Ooo, I'd play that. I had my frankenstein thinline tele set up as an esquire with a P90 for a while, which was fun, but I'm much more of a neck pickup guy, so I threw a Seymour Duncan Firebird pickup into the neck. Earlier this week I cut off a three saddle tele bridge like the G.E. Smith tele, which worked out quite well. I just used a cutting wheel on a Dremel and filed the edges smooth. I need to get a picture of it.

• Members
Ooo, I'd play that. I had my frankenstein thinline tele set up as an esquire with a P90 for a while, which was fun, but I'm much more of a neck pickup guy, so I threw a Seymour Duncan Firebird pickup into the neck. Earlier this week I cut off a three saddle tele bridge like the G.E. Smith tele, which worked out quite well. I just used a cutting wheel on a Dremel and filed the edges smooth. I need to get a picture of it.

I'd like to see pics of that! :thu:

• Members
I could understand the pickup under the pickguard idea possibly working. I think Esquires (at least the newer ones) come factory routed for a neck pickup in case you want to drop one in anyway.

Yeah I had a reissue one, and I do believe the neck is routed out, which is a cool feature in case that's what you want to do. I wonder how much the pickguard affects the pickup if it's mounted underneath. Of course you could go with a regular pickguard too, but then it doesn't look like an Esquire.

Here's a pic of my old one, kinda wish I still had it :cry:
HPIM2448.jpg

Archived