The difference a GOOD soldering iron makes.

ben_allison

• Members

A nice iron makes things easier, but the only one I've seen I'm sure was inherently unusable was from a dollar store (the 3' cord was a hint). To use a cheap iron, be ready to tin the tip the 1st instant its hot enough to melt solder. Then never allow it to overheat, by unplugging it or, if possible, switching to low power. The symptom of overheating is excessive tip oxidation and erosion, resulting in it acting as if it's too cold, not too hot. Also, periodically retighten the tip.

(If someone else got to it before you and screwed it up, forget it... although I've seen more issues of abuse/neglect with nicer irons, since I see more of them.)

• Members

i was using the cheapie weller iron forever and it just started becoming a nightmare. i would have to replace the tip after building one, maaaaybe two pedals. my new iron is ridiculous. it heats up in seconds. tip stays clean. i've built 6 or 7 pedals and done various repair work with it and the tip is nowhere near needing replacement. not to mention the tips are like $5...which isn't much more than the cheapie weller tips. a good iron is magic.

936-12.jpg

That's what I use. It's GREAT!! Tips heat up in 30 seconds at max temp. Very recommended to anyone who use it's iron on a daily basis. Plus, it looks very good and matches my scope

3758622.jpg

(Not the same model (72-3055) but same colors. I actually have the 72-3060 which includes a function generator. )

• Members

cool thread.

at the wattson shop, all the benches are equipped with Weller WTCPT soldering stations. excellent irons. amp_surgeon has had his for over 20 years i think. that thing is still in service, and with no problems.

at home and on my own projects, i use a Xytronic 379:

http://www.howardelectronics.com/Xytronic/379.html

Xytronic379.jpg

its a little cheaper than the Weller, but i really like it. fast heat up, comfortable grip, steady heat. the only thing im a little wary of is the fact that the tips are hollow on the bottom and they slide over the ceramic heater in the grip. it seems like something that could potentially break, but i guess only if your being really dumb and you take the tip off and stop on it or something.

A nice iron makes things easier, but the only one I've seen I'm sure was inherently unusable was from a dollar store (the 3' cord was a hint).

My wife thought one of these would make for a nice gift, and bought me one - she even paid extra for the higher powered "Pro" model:

CH-Body-wr.jpg

Don't bother - they're horrible. :freak: But it was the thought that counted. :)

• Members

A nice iron makes things easier, but the only one I've seen I'm sure was inherently unusable was from a dollar store (the 3' cord was a hint).

My wife thought one of these would make for a nice gift, and bought me one - she even paid extra for the higher powered "Pro" model:

CH-Body-wr.jpg

Don't bother - they're horrible.
:freak:
But it was the thought that counted.
:)

these dont work because the tips are ceramic. how the hell can you tin a ceramic tip? you cant!

• Members

CH-Body-wr.jpg

Don't bother - they're horrible.
:freak:
But it was the thought that counted.
:)

That's funny :lol:

Aww Mrs O'Keefe. God bless the wimin for trying!

Yup - it really was a nice gesture. She knows I do a fair amount of soldering, although I think she was thinking it would be easier for me with something like that with the onboard light and lack of cord when I'm working behind a rack... and she was probably remembering the tons of soldering I had to do when I first built the place.

But the thing is near to impossible to use. If both sides of that tip don't come into contact with the same piece of metal, it doesn't heat up... and positioning it to "complete the circuit" is totally different than what you do with "regular" soldering; plus, it's very temperamental about getting the placement "just right" - even when you can see - and "feel" both sides making contact, you frequently have to adjust the positioning by tiny little bits several times until the "heating" lamp turns red to tell you it's conducting... then it takes forever to heat the work. And twitch by the slightest amount and it breaks the circuit and stops heating. Some people apparently like them, but I found it frustrating and not very effective. On the positive side though, you never have to tin it.

I never did return it, and I still have it. Maybe I should take it out to the range sometime and blow it up on camera; Mythbusters style. :idea::lol:

• Members

Can't concur w/ this thread enough--I have NO idea why they tell you to get a cheap iron when you're first building stuff. I guess a Radioshack turd wand will let you know how you're supposed to be doing it, but to my mind I wasted so much time and burnt out traces more than once and got cold solder joints that it was more trouble than just learning how to solder efficiently and properly.

Finally bit the bullet an bought a WES51 for somewhat cheap on CL after selling a pedal. Haven't had a problem since and feel the money was TOTALLY worth it even though I solder maybe once every 4 months or so.

• Members

That's what I use. It's GREAT!! Tips heat up in 30 seconds at max temp. Very recommended to anyone who use it's iron on a daily basis. Plus, it looks very good and matches my scope

3758622.jpg
(Not the same model (72-3055) but same colors. I actually have the 72-3060 which includes a function generator. )

That's a sexy scope!!:love:

• Members

CH-Body-wr.jpg

I didn't have so much a problem getting one to work, but the little sparks it makes seem like a really bad idea. Plus, desoldering is almost half of my uses, ???!!?

Irons are much like guitar -- it would be best to start with a really good one, not fancy but without flaw, once you learn you can deal with something less expensive. But tends to not go that way.

Of the Radio Shacks, the one with a 15/30 watt switch on the side is very usable, NOT the one with the base and copper tip, it accepts the pointy 15 watt tip, and idles decently at 15 watts, switch up to heat up faster, or when actually soldering only. Screw up and there goes the tip, at least. Mine sits in my tool box now with a fresh tip, reserved for SMD only since I got a NOS Ungar. Their 15W is slim, but will overheat/burn out if not careful, and the 40W is good for bits of sheet metal, w/ a versatile tip, although I've killed 2 of them over the years. I don't like the heavy base types for portable use, and occasionally use 2 irons for long SMDs or really heavy metal.

Archived