Firebird update...

companyman

• Members

so here are before pictures.......

009.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

....so I had a tech pull the maestro tailpiece and drill holes for a stop bar. There was a pretty big hole where the factory didn't predrill the hole for one of the tailpiece screws, so the tech filled it as best as he could, not too bad.

Then I pulled all of the hardware off and used rubbing compound to get rid of the awful gold plating....came out pretty good....

firebird001.jpg

firebird006.jpg

firebird003.jpg

firebird005.jpg

firebird004.jpg

• Members

You shouldn't ever use solvent inside, regardless of space.

You go outside and do it.

I am a Painter that has been using gum turpentine inside for 25 years.....probably explains a lot! :lol:

I practiced with the other guitar player in the band this afternoon for the first time with the Firebird, I likey, and so does he....the mini-humbuckers really have a voice all of their own. Good cheap players guitar!

• Members

Nice! I love Epi Firebirds. I don't get people's disdain of gold hardware, though....I wouldn't necessarily want it on every guitar, but on some guitars, it looks really nice.

I love this guitar....the neck plays like a dream, the pickups are very airey with surprising sustain, with the third pickup, there a bunch of tones to play with. I quickly became comfortable playing it, especially standing up. It fits my tall frame well. So much win for so little $.

I don't know why I can't stand gold hardware...just a bit ostentacious I guess.

• Members

I love this guitar....the neck plays like a dream, the pickups are very airey with surprising sustain, with the third pickup, there a bunch of tones to play with. I quickly became comfortable playing it, especially standing up. It fits my tall frame well. So much win for so little $.

I don't know why I can't stand gold hardware...just a bit ostentacious I guess.

I can't justify paying for a Gibson when Epis are so good. I dunno if this is a golden age for Epis or whatnot--meaning that quality will drop down afterwards--but even the cheap Les Paul Junior Custom Shop is just beautifully built and plays unreal.

• Members

I can't justify paying for a Gibson when Epis are so good. I dunno if this is a golden age for Epis or whatnot--meaning that quality will drop down afterwards--but even the cheap Les Paul Junior Custom Shop is just beautifully built and plays unreal.

the Gibson Firebird's have super high output pickups that just don't breathe like the Epiphone pickups. The Gibsons have the banjo tuners that really add to the neck heavy issue, I prefer the mini-Grovers on the Epi. The only thing that I miss is the neck through, pancake design on the Gibson, the headstock seems a bit more substantial as well, but these couple of features don't justify the huge price difference for me at the moment so I am happy with my Epiphone! :thu:

• Members

the Gibson Firebird's have super high output pickups that just don't breathe like the Epiphone pickups. The Gibsons have the banjo tuners that really add to the neck heavy issue, I prefer the mini-Grovers on the Epi. The only thing that I miss is the neck through, pancake design on the Gibson, the headstock seems a bit more substantial as well, but these couple of features don't justify the huge price difference for me at the moment so I am happy with my Epiphone!
:thu:

maybe i should remove my banjo tuners on my firebird.

why are they there again?

• Members

maybe i should remove my banjo tuners on my firebird.

why are they there again?

I think that the designer put them on to keep the sleek look of the headstock or something....they work well, but do add weight to an already headstock heavy design. I wonder if the holes will be a different size compared to Grover type tuners?

Archived