OT: Police Officers, Protectors or Glorified Meter Maids?

hot_karl

• Members

I've worked in and out of law enforcement since 2004, usually taking breaks because being a street cop is the worst job you can have. I actually prefer the prison environment now, even though the pay is less, and you are constantly surrounded by violence and criminal behaivor.

Being on the streets isn't what you think it is. It's not like a video game where you have a little radar screen on the upper left hand corner with little red dots for the bad guys and green dots for the good guys. Also it's hard to be a nice guy on the streets when most people look at you and say {censored} like "Hey Pig" or "{censored} the Police" and all kinds of lovely {censored}. After awhile you tend to develope the mentality of "{censored} me? Ok, {censored} you then."

Is it right? Nope.

I know some really good guys who have become really jaded in their line of work with several agencies. It's hard to be a nice guy when everyone calls you an asshole just for doing a job that requires you to enforce laws that are put in place by voting citizens. Especially since these same voting citizens want you to enforce more and more laws and give you less and less money each year to do it in. Most officers are working themselves to death doing double shifts on an almost daily basis just to keep up with caseloads and stay on the streets patrolling and responding to 911 calls just because there isn't budget enough to hire any more officers and get them trained properly.

A sad trend over the years is the standards for becoming an actual law enforcement officer has dropped significantly just to fill in spots from a lot of veteran officers quitting due to too much overtime, too big of case loads, and not enough training or equipment to handle situations. So the quality of officers over the years has been dropping NATION WIDE.

Anyways, it's a {censored}ty job. You want to have better police out there? Do it yourself pansy.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In all seriousness, any adult who does not see the purpose and need of police are complete idiots in my not humble opinion.

If you disagree with what they do, get active in your community and do something about it.

Now, if you can frame a decent argument, as to why police are, useless or unnecessary, that is logical and not loaded with fallacies or emotional dribble about a single case, then we can discuss otherwise, nope, to stupid.

• Members

In all seriousness, any adult who does not see the purpose and need of police are complete idiots in my not humble opinion.

If you disagree with what they do, get active in your community and do something about it.

Now, if you can frame a decent argument, as to why police are, useless or unnecessary, that is logical and not loaded with fallacies or emotional dribble about a single case, then we can discuss otherwise, nope, to stupid.

I think the word you were looking for was "drivel."

By "emotional," do you mean all the folks that are convinced that cops are out there catching serial killers every day because they saw it on some cheesedick cop drama?

• Members

By "emotional," do you mean all the folks that are convinced that cops are out there catching serial killers every day because they saw it on some cheesedick cop drama?

That is the other side of the coin, I was actually referring to the people who think all police officers are lazy donut eating jack booted thugs who beat up grannies for kicks (yes that was hyperbole), but that group of doofuses (what is the plural of doofus?) is also a problem.

Police are a check and balance for our own personal responsibility.

I am not saying bad police do not exist, nor that injustice does not occur, merely that as an adult, I hold you and me accountable for being responsible for our own actions, that includes the police.

2 years ago I got a DWI, I fought it, I lost, I did proscribed penance, and now I am actively involved in making the laws here in Texas different. (I want it where if you have one uncomplicated DWI, and that is all it disappears, and if you offend again, it reappears. punished for life for one night seems cruel and unusual when the lesson is learned.)

• Members

^no {censored} law enforcement is necessary, and if bad policing and injustice weren't commonplace, not a single person would say a bad thing about cops. The fact of the matter is like jisatsu said; cops get jaded with being calling pigs and a lot of them turn into punk police tryin to catch harmless youths doing harmless things because they don't like their attitudes (or at least people who look like the harmless youths' attitudes).

[YOUTUBE]yV4H8z-lMnk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

You watch too many movies.

I have a bunch of close friends who are cops. They tell me stories... you know... real life accounts?

You'd be surprised, for example, what REAL people are capable of doing to their own offspring, in REAL LIFE... and these dudes are the only thing between defenseless children and a casket.

Use more brains, you ignorant neophyte.

• Members

I always felt good about cops.

Then I moved to the USA.

Seriously, I really don't know how you can stand them over here. The ones I had to deal with were impolite, arrogant and assertive. Oh, and I also think it's completely retarded to let police patrol an area without a partner.

In Belgium I have nothing but good words about the police force. Burglars were able to come in our house twice, the first time they were caught in the action by the cops, the second time they caught them a couple of days later and we got most of our stuff back. They were always very kind and helpful. They even do extra patrols in our area and check up on our house now and then when my parents or the whole family are on vacation.

When I was in Brussels, the cops walked the street with Uzis and riot dogs. I'd call that 'assertive'.

I dare anybody to go on a ridealong with a cop for one nightshift. See if that doesn't change your perspective.

• Members

I think you are making the mistake of thinking that the police are there to 'serve and protect' us ... it hasn't been that way since the 1960's. Now they are there to serve the government, their own private bully boys.

• Members

I think you are making the mistake of thinking that the police are there to 'serve and protect'
us
... it hasn't been that way since the 1960's. Now they are there to serve the government, their own private bully boys.

Meh. Issues like this are never black and white.

Powers abuse their power.

The human tendency to justice also prevails.

• Members

I think anyone that has a job that requires them at any given point to be put in danger to their own lives will have a bad day just like the rest of us..

Yeah, but the difference is they have more power than the general public.

• Members

Where did you get that?

Oh i was being silly, it is really really hard to get silly joking {censored} stirring into a text post.

I have had my fair share of turd-blossom policeman incidents.

For instance, I was pulled over 6 months ago, 40 year old dude on a clear beautiful Sunday morning at 11am for speeding on a freeway here in houston, I think i won the lotto as I sure seem to remember flowing with traffic. The officer approached the car, unbuttoned his holster, and patted the grip of his gun repeatedly while talking to me... yeah, it was intimidating. He was a jerk, but a police force is still needed.

Everyone has a analogous redneck {censored}head neighbor, can you imagine if they where allowed to do as they will? Mine, would get {censored}ty drunk and try to shoot my dogs thinking he was the deer hunter, and my dogs where charlie or something....

• Members

Meh. Issues like this are never black and white.

Powers abuse their power.

The human tendency to justice also prevails.

no you are right, it isn't that B/W but I'm not about to type an essay on it here and now... but it is becoming the case more and more in this country. It started way back with the government introducing things like the 'criminal justice bill' where groups of people could be arrested as criminals for doing nothing more than being in a group in one place. This bill was introduced for the benefit of the government not the benefit of the people.... and it has continued with the constant abuse of 'stop and search' and other legislation designed to control, not help or protect, the the general population. I don't want 'no police' but I don't want to live in a 'police state' either.

• Members

.... and it has continued with the constant abuse of 'stop and search' and other legislation designed to control, not help or protect, the the general population.

Ah the old "Terry pat down" for officer safety. What a great tool that is! Then there is the "inventory search." Another key piece of legal case law history in the evolution of the search and seizure doctrine. Don't forget "Miranda," that was a great bit of power back to the people. These days police HAVE to give you your rights, including the right to have an attorney present when interviewing you, orwhat you say can not be used in court.

Things keep changing, some for the better some for the worse (depending on your point of view). The key point is....arguably the single most important, nearly unfettered, power of the president is his ability to appoint Supreme Court Justices. The more conservative the president the more conservative the Court and the tighter the search and seizure laws, among other things, become. The Supreme Court wields an awful lot of power over your life when you really think about it:thu:

• Members

True, very true. Only problem is their bad day might fuck my life up.

Then don't break the fucking law and you got nothing to worry about! :thu: Or would you rather they weren't here? Cus I guarantee that your life would be fucked up on a daily basis without cops around.

Three careers in this world that can never be overpaid:

Cops

Teachers

Firemen

Those 3 should be the highest earners in this world, because all they do is give to their fellow man, only to get shit upon with crappy pensions and a less than middle class lifestyle. You want to do away with dirty cops? Pay them more money like we should.

Next time you see a cop, THANK HIM/HER for putting his/her life between you and deadly crime. You owe them that much.

• Members

america.

No universal healthcare.

Shitty Human Development Index level.

Shitty public schools.

and the most number of people per capita in prison of any industrialized nation.

You don't like it, get the fuck out! :cop:

Archived