Tried a Mesa MkIII yesterday..... (possible csb inside)

Kid_A

• Members

MKIIIcombo.jpg

{censored} these amps are good! I have only ever played through a rectumfrier and thought it was pretty cool but nothing I needed.

Got to rehearsal last night and my singer had already claimed the DSL and 4x12 so I setup and plug into this Mesa 1x12. I cannot believe the amount of low end, clarity and fullness this amp can kick out. I have never heard a 1x12 that sounded that good (and the master was only on 3!)...

So what is the MkIII based on... what makes the MkI,II,IV different? Anyone own these? Robo? I have started saving some cash for a fender deluxe-style amp, but this has really made me re-think that choice.

• Members

My amp blew away one of those things. It was a blue stripe I think. They're actually pretty good sounding and a lot better than the Rectos but I didn't like the 1x12 combo. I thought it needed to be let loose through a 4x12. The first Mark amp was essentially a hot rodded Princeton.

The MKI was based on a Bassman circuit packed into a hotrodded Princeton. The rest of the MK series developed out of that. I really like the MkI, IIB and IIC a LOT... never did particularly care for the Dual Recs. I've owned three or four Boogies over the years.

• Members

The MKI was based on a Bassman circuit packed into a hotrodded Princeton. The rest of the MK series developed out of that. I really like the MkI, IIB and IIC a LOT... never did particularly care for the Dual Recs. I've owned three or four Boogies over the years.

So what does this makes the MK5?

• Members

one of the best amp ever made

what makes the MKI,II,III,IV different?

one channel, two channel, three channel, four

the flexibility is limited tho because the "channels" share an EQ on all but the IV but IMO the tone is a bit purer to my ears on the more simple ones.

Out of all my amps the mark II goes to almost all my gigs and gets the most compliments from soundguys and audience members. Mine has the hardwood cab tho which I think contributes to the focus and tightness of the sound.

It is like you observed, a tiny package of huge sound

• Members

The Shiva? Those things are like eleventybillion pounds over here
:(
Would love to try one though...

Really? I figure with Reinhold being from Germany and all he'd hook you Europeans up.

As for the differences between Marks; like Phil said, the Mark I is essentially a Bassman and Princeton. Santana is most famous for using one back in the day. The SOB is a RI of the Mark I (or at least an attempt at it). The Mark II had 4 versions: A, B, C, and C+. A introduced footswitching, B introduced loop and simul-class, C fixed some sort of issue they had with A and B, and the C+ is an even more refined version fixing other issues and kinks. The Mark III introduced a 3rd channel and there are various versions of these (black, purple, red, blue, green or no stripe). And then came the IV and V which you need to be astronaut certified to operate. {censored} those things.

• Members

the flexibility is limited tho because the "channels" share an EQ on all but the IV but IMO the tone is a bit purer to my ears on the more simple ones.

Out of all my amps the mark II goes to almost all my gigs and gets the most compliments from soundguys and audience members. Mine has the hardwood cab tho which I think contributes to the focus and tightness of the sound.

:thu:

Cheers for the info Robo... Im not into channel switching so shared EQ isnt a big deal for me.

Ah yours is like the one Pete Townsend plays on the kids are alright?

mesaboogie-ptlegendary.jpg

I have heard 2x12s and 4x12s that sounded thinner then this little box of magic. You could see everyones faces light up in the room, wondering how the {censored} does that little thing kick out such a sound...

So are the MkIVs the current version? Should I be looking for a specific model? Mesa's are quite rare here and kinda pricey (theres a MkIII on ebay now for

• Members

Really? I figure with Reinhold being from Germany and all he'd hook you Europeans up.

As for the differences between Marks; like Phil said, the Mark I is essentially a Bassman and Princeton. Santana is most famous for using one back in the day. The SOB is a RI of the Mark I (or at least an attempt at it). The Mark II had 4 versions: A, B, C, and C+. A introduced footswitching, B introduced loop and simul-class, C fixed some sort of issue they had with A and B, and the C+ is an even more refined version fixing other issues and kinks. The Mark III introduced a 3rd channel and there are various versions of these (black, purple, red, blue, green or no stripe). And then came the IV and V which you need to be astronaut certified to operate. {censored} those things.

Bogner Shiva in the UK for $3,283

:(

Cheers for the info... so Mk5s are for space cadets? Gotcha!

• Members

The MkIV is only 3 channels. There aren't any 4 channel Marks.

• Members

If you have no problem buying from the continent, try to get yourself a Kitty Hawk amp.

kittyhawk.jpg

They were the German importers of Dumble and Mesa back in the 80s here in Germany and started building amps "inspired" by those designs.

The earlier models, more or less faithful clones of the Dumble ODS (even using parts supplied by Dumble), are becoming more and more expensive, but there's good deals to be had with the Mesa-copies. And they sound tits, too!:thu:

Gregor Hilden has uploaded some videos of him playing into a KH Standard (which is supposed to be more "Dumble-ey") and a Junior (Mark series-derivate, affordable). You might want to check them out... If you're into blues wanking, that is.

• Members

And then came the IV and V which you need to be astronaut certified to operate. {censored} those things.

Yup, I agree. They're not at all easy amps to the hang of. You have to throw away any thought in your head that tells you "you cant set that knob that way! You're scoooping your mids!" If you can start tuning them in by ear, you'll be set. Just don't expect simplicity, but you'll get some of the greatest clean/crunch/distortion IMHO if you just take some time and know exactly what you're looking for.:thu:

• Members

man, I think a Mark Mesa is one of the few amps on my radar list at the moment. I just don't see them here to often, other than my friends house. and it seems like the Mark V is actually increasing prices on the older ones? :confused: whatever, some day.........

Archived