Best budget analog delay.

Loobs

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Malekko if you can get ahold of one. If your in a hurry get a memory toy

I love my MB alot, but alot of the things people hate about it, I like. The Volume Increase helps to make it a great pedal for a lead. The only thing I dislike about it is the modulation, which is way over the top as soon as you engage the knob even slightly.

There is no issues with delay time as long as you find an adapter that it "likes"

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2543886

• Members

Malekko if you can get ahold of one. If your in a hurry get a memory toy

I love my MB alot, but alot of the things people hate about it, I like. The Volume Increase helps to make it a great pedal for a lead. The only thing I dislike about it is the modulation, which is way over the top as soon as you engage the knob even slightly.

There is no issues with delay time as long as you find an adapter that it "likes"

The modulation can be tamed and tuned in via one of the internal trimpots apparently.

• Members

It sounds like almost everyone here is listing cheap delays they know of but not the best cheap delay.

BY FAR the best cheap analog delay out there is the Behringer VD-400. You can find then new for 30 bucks on ebay. The sound quality is excellent up to about 300ms.

The memory toy and boy simply do not sound as good as the behringer. I actually have the new deluxe memory boy, and while it sounds good i actually prefer the sound of the VD-400. However the deluxe memory boy does WAAAAYYY longer delay times.

If you want to spend more money the carbon copy is great. So is the malekko 616. But once again i find the core delay sound (it doesnt do mod or anything) of the VD400 to be slightly more pleasing to the ear. Its plastic, so if you abuse your stuff you may not want it, but for straight up sound quality the Behringer VD-400 is the best of the sub 100 dollar analogs.

For behringer bashers, remember this thread is about CHEAP analog delays. And one look at any and all reviews for VD-400 confirm, that this is one of behringers "gems".

~mike~

• Members

So it's between the Carbon Copy, Memory Boy, Malekko 616...what else?

Doesn't have to be too fancy but can't be too dark sounding. Doesn't need to have modulation either, but needs to have more than 400-500ms...

Also needs to be smaller rather than bigger.

If you want more than 500 ms in CC sized delay, then you may not want to go analog. The memory boy doesnt sound that great at the highest end of its delay.

CC could work.

The cheap Danelectro delay sounds VERY analog (part of it is), its about 35 bucks, and does 600 ms. If you try one i guarantee youd be satisfied.

~mike~

~

• Members

If you want more than 500 ms in CC sized delay, then you may not want to go analog. The memory boy doesnt sound that great at the highest end of its delay.

CC could work.

The cheap Danelectro delay
sounds
VERY analog (part of it is), its about 35 bucks, and does 600 ms. If you try one i guarantee youd be satisfied.

~mike~

~

I do want to go analog, believe me. 500-600 at most is fine. I just don't want something that peaks at under 300ms and can only really do slapback.

• Members

It sounds like almost everyone here is listing cheap delays they know of but not the best cheap delay.

BY FAR the best cheap analog delay out there is the Behringer VD-400. You can find then new for 30 bucks on ebay. The sound quality is excellent up to about 300ms.

The memory toy and boy simply do not sound as good as the behringer. I actually have the new deluxe memory boy, and while it sounds good i actually prefer the sound of the VD-400. However the deluxe memory boy does WAAAAYYY longer delay times.

If you want to spend more money the carbon copy is great. So is the malekko 616. But once again i find the core delay sound (it doesnt do mod or anything) of the VD400 to be slightly more pleasing to the ear. Its plastic, so if you abuse your stuff you may not want it, but for straight up sound quality the Behringer VD-400 is the best of the sub 100 dollar analogs.

For behringer bashers, remember this thread is about CHEAP analog delays. And one look at any and all reviews for VD-400 confirm, that this is one of behringers "gems".

~mike~

The Behringer does sound great but, man, I hate that switch they use. Feels like it is about the break every time it is engaged.

And the OP has listed $200 has peak so we are well past super cheap.

• Members

Care to make a short video demo of it please?

sure, I can do that

so far my opinion of the Malekko 616 compared to my memory boy

full 550 ms or more delay time on 616, not so much with the MB

the repeats are less decayed on the 616 at 550 than the MB was when I could get it to go that long. They have a slightly more percussive feel too.

The modulation on the 616 is a bit more "metallic" sounding to my ears so far. Much harder to control with the tiny knobs but I know board space is big for some people. The 616 is small but pretty well thought out in regards to switch/knob placement IMO. The modulation does sound good tho.

has good tone, keeps clean signal pretty pure sounding and doesn't seem to have much problem with headroom or handling a bunch of fuzz and dirt pedals in front of it.

My biggest peeve so far is the mix control, this needs to go 100% wet. I want complete control!

• Members

There always seems to be a certain amount of compromise with analog delays, except for the ML2 perhaps, but then size and price.

A lot of good digital/emulating analog delays out there though, the Wampler (2), Subdecay, DLA, etc, most of them have less shortcomings than analog too, like noise and short delay time.

• Members

I've owned the biyang (fake analog delay), behringer vintage delay, memory boy, and malekko 616. The only one I still have is the behringer. It's really great for the money.

The 616 is probably the best sounding of all of them but it's not the typical analog delay sound. I really didn't care for the memory boy just for the sound quality.

So yeah, unless you can't stand the idea of behringer on your board, I would actually go for that, especially since it's a supplement to an m9 (?)

Archived