New jaguars: MIA vs. MIJ; much difference?

• Members

Ok, I played a used '09 mia fender '62 reissue jaguar today (used, but 'like new' condish) & it was the {censored}; they won't budge at $1300 + tax. They say I can bring in trade bait for the difference as well as a special 15% off, getting it down to where I was hoping for (like a grand or a bit less). It comes w/ the vintage style tolex case we all jizz over. Now, I just saw a bunch of the MIJ ones they made last year on ebay for like $600 all day long, probably no case though. Is there that much of a difference in these things? Will I be satisfied with the japanese version? I never do posts like this (because obviously no one will really know but me, LOL), but I just thought I'd get some input form you guys that already own them... no, I am not drunk, LOL...

• Members

the American ones are better, for the most part, off the shelf.

The Japanese Jags (generalizing big time here, since I've only played 3 or 4 of these) play very well and sound pretty good stock. But the pickups, I've found, are very brittle and thin-sounding. The electronics are also pretty bad compared to MIAs. The MIJ bodies are sometimes made of basswood, which isn't "authentic". Especially the '90s Jags, of which I've owned two (both basswood). I think basswood guitars can sound fine, but it's just something to consider.

The MIAs on the other hand, may not necessarily play a whole hell of a lot better, but the stock electronics are a step up, and some of the other details are there (like the aforementioned nice cases). The bodies are all made of alder and the paint has that Vintage Reissue style nitro finish. The pickups are noticeably less harsh. I own an AVRI Jazzmaster, but no Jag at the moment, so what do I know. If I was looking for a Jag now, I'd try to snag a cheap AVRI, but the MIJs are nothing to sneeze at. And they can be upgraded.

• Members

Obviously the MIAs will be better made but the MIJs are still well made and my only gripe would be the necks in which the MIAs are so much better, haven't been very impressed with the CIJ guitars i've used though compared to the older models :|

• Members

Ok, yeah, the alder (as well as the nitro) makes a big difference, thus the asking price. I own an '84 mij strat that's basswood, so I know what your saying about the mijs, as far as the wood goes (not quite the same). Man, that thing felt good! I want it bad. Maybe I'll go there when they open tomorrow. It's been there for over a month, so I know it's a bit steep; you'd think they would've made me a deal...

• Members

I played a Classic Player jag the other day and thought it played and sounded better than the japanese ones, I was pretty suprised, because I didn't want to like it more but I did.. and quite a lot more actually.

• Members

The wood is basically the same, its everything else on jap jags the sucks. The only parts of my jap jag that is jap fender now is the neck and body, i replaced all else with AVRI parts. Now its equall to AVRI IMO.

Just buy the AVRI. It less head {censored} of rebuilding it all.

• Members

The wood is basically the same, its everything else on jap jags the sucks. The only parts of my jap jag that is jap fender now is the neck and body, i replaced all else with AVRI parts. Now its equall to AVRI IMO.

Just buy the AVRI. It less head {censored} of rebuilding it all.

i'd stick with MIJ or CIJ rather than "jap", doesn't surprise me you'd use it though :o

• Members

I played a Classic Player jag the other day and thought it played and sounded better than the japanese ones, I was pretty suprised, because I didn't want to like it more but I did.. and quite a lot more actually.

the CPs have hotter pickups and the tunomatic-style bridge (also the trem setup is physically closer to the bridge). They are too different from an old-school Jag to interest me, personally. I'm not saying they aren't great guitars, but they just don't sound like jaguars at all.

• Members

really? i played them when i was shopping for a jazzmaster and thought they were {censored}.

• Members

really? i played them when i was shopping for a jazzmaster and thought they were {censored}.

yeah, really... the neck was slightly fatter than the MIJ and felt really nice, the TOM bridge is way better than the standard bridge and the pickups sounded much better with distortion.... of course this is all personal taste stuff. Never played a jazzmaster version though.

• Members

I'll speak up on this one. LOVE my CIJ - its a '96 & is alder w/ the shielding plates (which were later left off CIJ Jags/Jazzys). My understanding was that at least the 3TS guitars were all Alder. Bought mine for ~$400 beat-as-heck. Put a set of Novaks in recently after trying a Duncan in the bridge. Actually didn't mind the CIJ parts, but do prefer the Novaks.

HATE HATE HATE the idea of a TOM in a Jag (I know, I know, I sound like grandpa lame-o), same goes for the shorter break over the bridge pieces. For me, thats a big part of what is so great on a Jag - that said it DOES require a bit more from the owner to understand & setup the parts to fit your playing. . .

Anyhow, I've personally thought several times on selling mine to get a thin skin or AVRI, but mine is old & beat & I really like my guitars that way, so I can't stomach loosing it for an 'upgrade' that I'd have to play for 10yrs before it felt right. If I were looking at brand new CIJ vs. AVRI, I'd probably go for the US guitar, if that makes any sense at all.

• Members

^^^ Thats what I thought too; but they said they are like $2000 new? The MIA re-issues???

Looks like most places have them listed at $1700 new, which means you should be able to negotiate at least $200 off of that which would make it ~$1500 for a new one. $1300 still sounds too high for a used one.

• Members

I can't speak for the Jags, but I can say something about how MIJ and MIA Jazzmasters compare. I've got an olympic white MIJ and the other guitarist in my band uses a sunburst AVRI. The only big difference is the electronics, the wiring and especially the pickups are sub par on the japanese ones. Playing wise they're very similar, but the AVRI's finish is a bit thinner.