New jaguars: MIA vs. MIJ; much difference?

• Members

I've owned a CIJ and currently own an MIJ. I have played original jags and played a couple of AVRI. The latter felt the best :eek: I loved the neck on it. It is a little thicker than my MIJ neck. You can find an MIJ and mod to whatever you like and you can make it it JUST as good as an AVRI. I recently put AVRI pickups in mine. Sounds great. I mean I just dont feel you have to spend that much money. If you already have that much of a chunk of money then save more and try to find a vintage one for 2k or so.

• Members

yeah, really... the neck was slightly fatter than the MIJ and felt really nice, the TOM bridge is way better than the standard bridge and the pickups sounded much better with distortion.... of course this is all personal taste stuff. Never played a jazzmaster version though.

sounds like we just have different taste. i hate tom bridges and have no problem with stock jazz/jag bridges. i actually like them more than mustang bridges. but i use 11's on jazzmaster scale guitars and 11's or 12's on jag scale. i also don't like hot pu's. all of those are fixable though. the deal breaker for me was the trem. its too close to the body and has the stupid threaded arm.

• Members

I'm pretty sure all CIJ that've been made this century are alder bodies. The CIJ is pretty decent apart from the pickups, which has been mentioned, but I haven't played an MIA, so my opinion ain't worth much.

Negative. The J Mascis Jazzmaster is Basswood and CIJ.

For what it's worth there isn't anything inherently bad about Basswood. Most people who talk {censored} about Basswood have never owned a Basswood guitar and are just copying what they have seen others say about Basswood. Is it a bit softer? Yep. Not enough to notice IMO. I haven't found that it dents easier than alder or ash and I have never been able to tell a difference in weight. The J Mascis Jazzmaster that I owned was just as heavy as my alder Tele. The first real guitar that I owned was a MIJ Jaguar back in the mid 90's and it never had a dent up until I sold it.

If you notice, a lot of shredder axes are made of Basswood and off the top of my head Ibanez JEMs are made of Basswood and they certainly not cheap. It's supposed to be sonically neutral if you believe the tonewood marketing hype. It's supposed to have more sustain and resonance than alder. Lets remember that leo Fender didn't select Alder because of its tonal properties, he chose it because it was cheap and readily available.

From wiki

"Ease of working and good acoustic properties also make it popular for electric guitar and bass bodies and wind instruments such as recorders. In the past, it was typically used (along with Agathis) for less-expensive models. However, due to its better resonance at mid and high frequency, and better sustain than alder, it is now more commonly in use with the "superstrat" type of guitar. It can also be used for the neck because of its excellent material integrity when bent and ability to produce consistent tone without any dead spots according to Parker Guitars. In the percussion industry, basswood is sometimes used as a material for drum shells, both to enhance their sound and their aesthetics. It is also the wood of choice for the window-blinds and shutters industries."

• Members

i'd stick with MIJ or CIJ rather than "jap",
doesn't surprise me you'd use it though
:o

If you didn't hate me so much you would have never said this and would have noticed i cut the word "jaguar" in half to "jag" too, just so I didn't have to type so much.

Considering you are implying I'm racist, and trying to get the attention of the rest of the forum to make them think the same makes me realize how much of an intolerant and biased individual you are.

For me to use the term "jap jag" means nothing more to me that to use the term "ozzie strat" or "mexi strat",its merely shortening the words one has to type. I am not the first to do it nor will I be the last.

You expect so much "tolerance" and "respect" from me towards everyone yet you give me none! You are continually intolerant of whatever I say and try to get a reaction from me, all in an effort to get me perma-banned more than likely.

In many past threads I have stuck up for minority races, and the GLBT community, of which I am apart BTW. But like usual, the good I often do for people goes unrewarded and it is only when I voice an opinion contrary to popular belief, usually on historical events, that I get noticed, and not for the good. Because I made one passing comment the other day, and I was gonna leave it at ONE passing comment) that people didn't agree with basically the whole forum turned against me, you guys turned it into a virtual witch hunt.

Like I said, its easy to have an opinion that everyone else shares but it isn't so easy standing by an unpopular opinion especially when harassed by so many people at once.

Growing up in a town where difference wasn't tolerated let alone respected I have been a victim of intolerance and discrimination for most of my life. If not because of my sexuality or my mixed race relationships (both straight and gay), because I hold different opinions on society, or I dress different to the majority etc etc. I know discrimination when I see it because I have been victim too it so much. Which is partly why I am a Marxist today! I accept anyone of any color, wealth, sexuality, whatever aside, I don't give a {censored} what you are or do!!!

Lets face facts here, that's what this and your attitude is about, because I have a different opinion than you. That is in essence what it is about, that is intolerance and discrimination in its purest form. Which makes you a hypocrite as you do not practice what you preach. You want me to be tolerant (which I am, I am tolerant of just about anything, I don't give a {censored} about much at all) yet you fail to show me any tolerance yourself.

When Devi was getting {censored} on the forum a few weeks back about her sexuality by you guys, I stuck up for her and she even PM'd me to say "thank you for that, I've always liked you" Then she asked for her account to be canceled. I am considering doing the same....

But for now, you, and anyone else who continues to harass me, will be going on my ignore list and I will be reporting you to Phil for unprovoked continued harassment.

There is some really cool people here that I like quite a bit, that is the only reason I am still here right now.

• Members

the J Mascis jazz is basswood because J specified that he wanted it basswood.

Liberty Bell. just FYI, i think someone actually got banned earlier for using that abriviation of Japanese. so i don't think he was harassing you, just letting you know that word is a bannable word now.

• Members

Ello ello ello. What's going on here then? Someone used the word Jap? I'm from Scotland but if anyone here calls me "Scot" you better be ready for a {censored} storm. Unless you mean to call me Scott. But then that's not my name, so you better be ready for a {censored} storm.

OP - That price sounds too high for a second hand Jag. I would keep looking.

• Members

For me to use the term "jap jag" means nothing more to me that to use the term "ozzie strat" or "mexi strat",its merely shortening the words one has to type. I am not the first to do it nor will I be the last.

If you want a word for japan/japanese that doesn't sound offensive to anyone try JPN.

Problem solved!

• Members

Ah, ok, hey, thanks for all your opinions on this stuff; I know this has been asked a ton, but the people in this forum seem to dig these guitars the most. I've been wanting one for a long time, as was just going to 'settle' (for lack of a better term) on an MIJ because I dig them (I own an '84 MIJ fender strat, as well as 3 mij 80's fender basses) & of course the money is always an issue. I agree that the store is asking too much for that used one, when they are like $1700 new. I should've never taken her down off the wall & played her, LOL; it felt so much nicer than my strat for some reason. It felt really 'snappy', if that makes any sence. I've dug MIJ fenders for years, and will prob just get a used one somewhere, but man, I really wanted that guitar bad! LOL Matt

P.S. - Hey Drasp, i hear you on the TOM, I saw one locally for sale w/ one on it, & I'm sure it played just fine, it just didn't 'look' right to me...

• Members

When I went hunting for a jaguar (4 years ago or so) I tried everything I could get my hands for about 6 months. I was mostly aiming for vintage, but I couldn't find one that I bonded with. Most of the MIA stuff didn't feel great either. Then one day I stopped in GC for strings and this mid 90's MIJ was hanging there. It was just magic, it was the one. The pickups are crap for sure, but it just felt right. I put some duncans in but I may move to lollars or novaks. I would just try them till you find one you like.

• Members

When I went hunting for a jaguar (4 years ago or so) I tried everything I could get my hands for about 6 months. I was mostly aiming for vintage, but I couldn't find one that I bonded with. Most of the MIA stuff didn't feel great either. Then one day I stopped in GC for strings and this mid 90's MIJ was hanging there. It was just magic, it was the one. The pickups are crap for sure, but it just felt right. I put some duncans in but I may move to lollars or novaks. I would just try them till you find one you like.

I didn't even plug this one (that the thread's about) into an amp; it just rang out in the middle of the GC w/ all the other noise going on... I never shoulda grabbed it. I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! LOL

• Members

I didn't even plug this one (that the thread's about) into an amp; it just rang out in the middle of the GC

I figured it was GC. I remember going into the downtown Seattle GC a few years back, and they had a used beat up Zvex Fuzz Factory for sale.... for more than a brand new one costs.

If you didn't hate me so much you would have never said this and would have noticed i cut the word "jaguar" in half to "jag" too, just so I didn't have to type so much.

Considering you are implying I'm racist, and trying to get the attention of the rest of the forum to make them think the same makes me realize how much of an intolerant and biased individual you are.

You expect so much "tolerance" and "respect" from me towards everyone yet you give me none! You are continually intolerant of whatever I say and try to get a reaction from me, all in an effort to get me perma-banned more than likely.

Again - report and IGNORE.

As far as the term "Jap", I understand your reasoning in "shortening it, but for some people, the term has negative and racist overtones - largely stemming from its WWII derogatory usage.

Therefore, I would rather not see it being used on HC. But I won't be adding to your temp ban because of it in this case. But this is yet another example of how you can't manage to IGNORE after "reporting".

For what it's worth there isn't anything inherently bad about Basswood. Most people who talk {censored} about Basswood have never owned a Basswood guitar and are just copying what they have seen others say about Basswood.

Owned them, played them, and frankly, just don't care for them. Thin sounding, lack sustain, no balance to the tone - lacking in lows and low mids, etc.

YMMV, but I'll never buy / own another basswood guitar. Ever.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I have the Mij jaguar with matching headstock.  Although I don't have a Mia jag to compare it to,, I do have a 2019 limited edition American Pro Strat. Both are left handed and both have matching head stock. In just comparing g the quality of the build (fit and finish, feel of neck, paint, hardware etc.. Well you get the point). My mij is the far superior instrument. Just the fretboard alone is night and day. The mij has a beautiful rose wood, where as the Mia strat is all maple ,and for me less of a good feel. I had to wait a year to get the jazz master and then had to import it from Europe. But the wait was worth it. I love it. I love it so much that I am thinking of selling my ampro strat add looking to find a mij model. If anyone wants a left handed limited edition American Professional Strat in Surf Green with matching head stock in MINT CONDITION, hit me up jamzpl@hotmail.com. I know its all about personal taste so the strat might work for you better than me.  Its a beast of a instrument, and the limited edition makes it special over standard Mia American Pro strats.  Well rock on and keep the music alive.