Analog Delay?

Hoodoo

• Members

Hey guy's,

I want to get an analog delay. My Boss DD-5 is squashing my tone and I'm ready to move on to an analog delay pedal with "true bypass." I'm not looking for looping, I just want a great sounding (warm) delay. I need at least 600ms of delay.

A few I was looking at:

BYOC- Analog Delay (sounds like a clone of the Maxon AD9) but cheaper

MXR Carbon Copy- sounds like that MOD switch does some cool things

Maxon AD9- seems to be the industry standard but pricey

I don't have much knowledge in this field so I may be looking completely in the wrong places. I tried the search function within this forum for "delay" but nothing came up.

Any suggestions would be cool.

I'm looking for something less then $300 for this pedal just as an FYI.

• Members

It's going to be hard to find one that has 600ms of delay. I'm pretty sure the Maxon AD9 won't get you there. But I'm not sure about anything else. I'm pretty sure the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy would do the trick as far as delay time goes.

• Members

The DD-5 just gives me smaller overall freq. response i feel. I mostly hear it in the bass but I do hear a loss on the top end as well. I'm also looking for true bypass, since i use the delay once/twice a night at most.

• Members

I checked youtube video's off all the above suggestions and I LOVE the Malekko Ekko 616. Granted it's youtube but it sounded so creamy in the delay and pretty darn cheap.

If it sounds as good as the video's, my current favorite effect (fulltone mini deja vibe) might be in trouble.

• Members

Agreed, the EHX Memory Boy sounded great. There are a few reasons I decided to pass on it.

1. The footprint is quite large for the EHX
2. I like the external mod pots on the EKKO
3. The delay sounds a bit warmer/darker on the EHX. The EKKO just agrees with my ear on the delay- I like it a bit more snappy. I don't think the Memory Boy had true bypass either?

I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed with either though.

• Members

The EHX Memory Toy then? Less opions, smaller footprint, smaller price. Mine does at least 550 ms of delay time. Favorable comparison to the CC. I would check out the Wample Analog Echo - even though it's digital, it is analog voiced. Or for not much more $, the Wampler Faux Tape echo.

Another good digital that can sound analog, is the TC Electronics Repeater. Love that pedal.

• Members

I bought the EKKO 616. The EHX had a larger footprint, ultimately I thought the EHX and EKKO were voiced quite similar. I've never had good luck with EH. I've had a few pedals by them that broke down, same with my TC Helicon pedal- great sounding pedals they have but a few of the plastic items on those pedals always broke, especially the power input?

The Carbon Copy had way to many bad reviews on youtube from users. I don't think I found one bad review with V2 on EKKO 616.

I'm hoping I love it and I'll have a Boss DD-5 for sale soon!

• Members

You don't need 600ms. The idea that more delay time is better is a myth. You need to learn how to maximize a shorter delay time... say, 330ms.

My advice? DOD 680.

dod-680-mini.jpg

If you want warm, this thing has it in spades. Amazing. My youtube demo is the second google result. Highly underrated.

If you want TB with a 680, get a looper.

• Members
You don't need 600ms. The idea that more delay time is better is a myth. You need to learn how to maximize a shorter delay time... say, 330ms.

My advice? DOD 680.

dod-680-mini.jpg

If you want warm, this thing has it in spades. Amazing. My youtube demo is the second google result. Highly underrated.

If you want TB with a 680, get a looper.

Got my AD202 up to around 800ms.

Trim pots are fun.

Archived