1962 Ampeg Jet J-12 for

Loobs

• Members

I'm pretty sure the guitarist from my dad's band used one of those... for over 30 years. He had the same SG, from about the same time, as well.

It always sounded good. And hell, for 300 quid I wouldn't blink unless you're saving up for something.

• Members

Apparently it's in really good condition. I've been trying to read up on them and the reviews they get aren't that really that inspiring. I believe they take EL84s.

Nope. It's the 90's "sorta-reissues" that use EL84's.

A 1962 should have a sweet pair of 6V6GT's. Later on they went to 7591 tubes.

• Members

Nope. It's the 90's "sorta-reissues" that use EL84's.

A 1962 should have a sweet pair of 6V6GT's. Later on they went to 7591 tubes.

Do you know what years they made the reissues? I just bought a J-12R about a week ago and don't really know much about it or the history of Ampeg in general.

• Members

Hmm, yeah. I've read various reviews on them, none of which sound incredible.

If it's a '62 it will have 6V6s and basically be Ampeg's version of a tweed Deluxe (with trem). $450US is a kickass price for one of those if its in good condition with the original Jensen.

KILLER AMP IMO :thu:

• Members

Apparently it's in really good condition. I've been trying to read up on them and the reviews they get aren't that really that inspiring. I believe they take EL84s.

What reviews - HC? Those knobs know dick about vintage amps.

A vintage blue check Ampeg of any model is a thing of beauty - they made no dogs back then and used the highest quality parts and speakers. Built like brick {censored}houses too.

• Members

If it's a '62 it will have 6V6s and basically be Ampeg's version of a tweed Deluxe (with trem). $450US is a kickass price for one of those if its in good condition with the original Jensen.

KILLER AMP IMO
:thu:

Thanks for the replies, I was actually hoping you'd chime in.

The dude isn't far at all from me so I'll go and have a look and play at the very least.

The reviews I was reading were on TDPRI mainly.

• Members

I had a '66 j-12d with 7591's. It was a great amp, if a tad boxy sounding (the cabs are small for a 1x12!). Those Ampegs are a lot "warmer" than Fenders from that era. Very nice sound. Mine was very very loud with an older Jensen c-12r. They aren't worth more than $500 over here, though.

I have a Gemini I now which has a much bigger cab, but it's not that much louder (just a bit more balanced).

• Members

Do you know what years they made the reissues? I just bought a J-12R about a week ago and don't really know much about it or the history of Ampeg in general.

Ampeg was reanimated by SLM sometime around 1992ish. The original Ampeg died in the late 70's, IIRC.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, I was actually hoping you'd chime in.

The dude isn't far at all from me so I'll go and have a look and play at the very least.

The reviews I was reading were on TDPRI mainly.

The 6V6-based Jets I've played are pretty gainy, raunchy sounding amps - you get cleans by rolling back your volume knob. Bring a Tele or that P-90 thing and RTFO.

:thu:

• Members

6V6's will break up pretty early...there is a 64 Jet at a shop here...sounded foggy and beefy to me, not terribly loud....might struggle with a muscular drummer.....really toneful to my ears.

The '64 will have 7868s or 7591As - much wider freq spread with those guys. If it sounded 'foggy' it likely needed a cap job.

They're only 12 watts, FWIW.

• Members

6V6's will break up pretty early...there is a 64 Jet at a shop here...sounded foggy and beefy to me, not terribly loud....might struggle with a muscular drummer.....really toneful to my ears.

They use Baxandall tone controls, so you get mids by keeping the tone controls down, or scoop them a bit by cranking them. Really sensitive to settings, and not a Fender clean at all. Excellent tremolo!

• Members

The Jet is a single Tone control - not Baxandall.

Sorry. Most of my Ampegs have been the Baxandall.

Jet's are one of the few grab-and-go sized Ampegs. Most of them are too big for their power, and are a pain to lug around.

I wouldn't call them Hiwatt quality wiring, but they compare favorably in build quality to Fenders, especially in cab construction - until they got to the Reverborocket II era.

Archived