Sunn Solarus vs. Traynor YSR-1

JMR

• Members

tb 308 lives in my state and offered to hold his traynor for me, which is a really cool amp.

But I'm also gassing hard for a sunn solarus.

both have good clean tone, take pedals well, have good wattage for my needs....

And I'm a total sucker for vintage instruments, amps, what have you.

I have some other amps in mind, but if given a choice between these two, which would you choose and why?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Sunn would be easier to have serviced if it ever breaks. Traynors are an unholy mess of bull{censored} inside. They sound good, but I HATE fixing them.

I heard/read many great things about 60/70's Traynors, but I've never heard that they are particularly difficult to fix. Many people buy them to mod, so I can't imagine that they are an 'unholy mess' inside.

I have a '71 Traynor YSR-1 Custom Reverb. Very good reverb, the best tremolo I've ever heard. Really an excellent sounding head.

• Members

yep, this is a damn hard decision.

Are either of them 4 ohms? THat might tip it in one or the others favor because my current cab is 4 ohms. Currently, I'm shifting in favor of YSR-1 because there is one readily available to me from a forum member.

• Members

YSR-1s sound amazing, the cleans are godly. Whoever said that Traynors are hard to service has to have been sniffing glue. It's widely acknowledged that old Traynors are built extremely well and are fairly easy to work on which is why so many people buy them for modding purposes.

[YOUTUBE]W4sMPgaMIMY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I want another one too. My YBA-4 is more than enough for my guitar needs, but I'm thinking of getting myself a YBA-1 for playing bass with one of my bands. We used to jam at our drummer's house and his roommate had an earlier script/block logo YBA-1 with 2 15" (what seemed to be) original cabs which I used at practice and it was one of the most glorious bass tones that I've had the pleasure to play. The thing is only rated 45 watts, but the massive trannies give it a metric {censored}ton of power. Ridonculously awesome those amps are.

Archived