Anyone used the Dod FX-96 Echo (Tape Reel one)?

gambit

• Members

Can't confirm that its a dm-2 since I've never tried one. But I suspect not since it didn't sound overly dark to me. But mine was one of the later models without the tape graphics. The tape quality control is subtle at best, but it's a fantastic little pedal for the money. Mine didn't oscillate

• Members

I own one and have owned one for about the last 12 years or so. Love it. I ended up selling one a few years back and bought another one within a couple months.

It's a great sounding delay for the $$ and the tape quality knob is really useful for dialing in the sound you want. On both of the ones I've owned, you could make it oscillate at extreme settings, but I never do that really. I use it more for a nice slapback delay or even for Buddy Holly style vocal echo.

Out of curiosity, what did it set you back?

• Members

I own one and have owned one for about the last 12 years or so. Love it. I ended up selling one a few years back and bought another one within a couple months.

It's a great sounding delay for the $$ and the tape quality knob is really useful for dialing in the sound you want. On both of the ones I've owned, you could make it oscillate at extreme settings, but I never do that really. I use it more for a nice slapback delay or even for Buddy Holly style vocal echo.

Out of curiosity, what did it set you back?

cool, thanks for the info!

• Members

I had an FX96 with the different graphics. I somehow found a NOS one on ebay for $40 a few years ago. I ended up selling it to a forumite here, but can't remember whom. It's a GREAT delay, but I don't think it's the same as the DM-2...I'd say the repeats are a lot darker and grittier. Awesome oscillation sounds!

• Members

If that was the ebay listing I think it is, then I'm pretty sure that used to be my pedal. The chap selling it certainly used my EXACT ebay listing description of it and added a bit of his own.

It's a nice enough pedal and DO run it at 12 volts. You'll notice a big improvement in it's sound although you have to be careful where in the chain you use it or it will POP! every so often. I did a demo of it on Melx's big Dod pedal thread back last year. Try a search.

If it IS the pedal I sold about 8 months ago he made a decent return on what he paid for it. Git :)

Nice enough pedal though, I just needed to downsize a bit at the time.

• Members

Ah, I think I found my old demo

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6796148

thanks! good demo too :thu:

wow, with a load of repeats it sounds really nice.. definitely has some tape-ish filter/modulation and a decent range on the tape quality. this could be very nice indeed.

i just sold my RE-20 because it was a whiny bitch. the DOD sounds more musical to me :idk:

• Members

I got the old tape reel one at a pawn shop for like $30. Sounded good but the delay time was really short. I changed the value of the resistor on the delay pot and it increased the delay range dramatically but really degraded the sound quality. DOes anyone know what the original value of that resistor is so I can change it back?

• Members

i had one of these and really liked it

mine looked a bit different though (see below), and i had an adjustable trim pot inside

i DEFINATELY preferred mine using 12 volts. yeah. make sure u try that

the only reason i sold my one is it made some squealing noises (kind of high pitched hiss/squeal) pretty sure the squeal was not normal for this pedal, so i *cough* ebayed it...

93613-1-big.jpg

great pedal. triffic analog echo specially for the price...

• Members

thanks! good demo too
:thu:

wow, with a load of repeats it sounds really nice.. definitely has some tape-ish filter/modulation and a decent range on the tape quality. this could be very nice indeed.

i just sold my RE-20 because it was a whiny bitch. the DOD sounds more musical to me
:idk:

Cheers :thu:

Just have a swap between 9 and 12 volts, the difference is suprising really. I get the feeling that if the 12 volt thing was more widely known about they would be more highly regarded. It will certainly be interesting to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the RE-20.

I had a listen to your pog2 clip's, I think you may be able to get some nice stuff with those two together. Hope you have fun with it.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I'm trying the 12V center neg adapter from my Markbass Super Synth with the Older FX96 model and it's lighting up but doing bad things. I have to wait awhile even after I plug it back into a Boss 9V for it to get back to normal. Does 12V just work with the newer version?

Archived