Putting a fixed bridge on a strat

• Members

Right, I have a strat.

This one, to be exact:

index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=658&

I never use the trem, and I have no need whatsoever for a tremolo bridge. Basically, as I have no need for one, I want to put a fixed bridge on this thing, so that the tuning will be more stable (and so that when I'm playing live and I inevitably break a string, it doesn't fuck up the song, as it's a floating bridge trem).

So, my question is, is it possible, what are some possible bridges I could put on this, and can it be done without effing up the wood finish?

(Incidentally, I have no intention of selling this guitar, so comments about resale value aren't very helpful :poke: )

Thanks!

• Members

you can try to find on of these...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Custom-Shop-Parts-Hot-Rod-Drop-Top-Convertible-Bridge?sku=361537

Drop-in, bolt-on replacement.

This. (but it will require holes drilled into the body)

I have converted a strat into a string through hardtail. BUT it requires wood working and a refinish. (and you said you didnt want to do that)

You basically have one other option.

Get all five spring for the trem, and crank them down as hard as you can on the trem-claw. Then find a piece of wood(cut correctly to size) to jam in between the trem-block and the back wall of the trem-cavity. Its not going to sound like a hardtail strat, but I guarantee you will not have an wiggle or tuning issues.

Also... be sure your nut is cut correctly. Thats a huge issue people overlook and blame on the tuning pegs/bridge. :cool:

• Members

That looks brilliant.

no its not I had it. sucks the knobs come off and the thing will fall apart in your guitar. Also if you like to have the back on your strat on you have to leave it off.

I actually use my trem so I got a super-vee in it. best choice I made

• Members

no its not I had it. sucks the knobs come off and the thing will fall apart in your guitar. Also if you like to have the back on your strat on you have to leave it off.

I actually use my trem so I got a super-vee in it. best choice I made

Really? never had a problem with mine after years of use, but I mainly just use it as a block. I haven't used my trem in forever.

• Members

Really? never had a problem with mine after years of use, but I mainly just use it as a block. I haven't used my trem in forever.

glad for you I think it's horrible. others have complained of the knobs coming off too. I used use it for dive bomb only mode and that thing would just loosen itself. No thanks.

• Members

That block is in the wrong direction, isn't it?

There's nothing wrong with having the trem be able to move the pitch _down_, it's _up_ that's the problem. When a string breaks, you don't want the trem body snapping to the right (in this picture), as the springs take the released tension and apply it to the other strings.

So really all you need to do is tighten those screws till the trem body hits the guitar body, just under where the spring hooks are (on the opposite side from where there is a block in this picture). If you think this will mess up the action (due to changing the angle of the bridge, then put the block in that gap, not behind as shown in the above picture.

The other good good reason to do as I'm describing is sustain. When I first got my strat, I set it up as I'm describing, and loved it. Then at some point I decided I'd like to float the trem, and I did. I could not _believe_ how much the guitar went dead. It just stopped ringing! I'd heard about this before and been skeptical, but it's _true_ :eek:.

HTH, YMMV etc

GaJ

Archived