4 Boss Pedals in my chain - Benefit from Buffer

Mikoo69

• Members

My chain hits about 6 true bypass Fuzz/OD pedals before it goes on to 4 Boss Pedals (OC-2, DD-2, DD-6, DM-2).

Would my tone benefit at all from a standalone buffer after the 6 TB pedals, or am I fine with the boss buffers?

I cant put a buffer before the ODs and fuzzes, as the fuzzes dont like to see a buffer before them and the ODs (both TB) come before some fuzzes.

• Members

yeah im happy with tone, though still want the board to be at fullest potential, and wondering if a good quality buffer here is a waste as i already have 4 buffered pedals in the chain, all next to eachother.

• Members

Try playing without the buffered pedals in the signal. If you have any more TB ones laying around, put them in instead (to simulate using the same amount of pedals overall). Turn on your fuzz, turn off your fuzz. Does this make it sound/feel better or worse?

• Members

True-bypass means the input is connected straight to the output, with nothing in between. And it only matters when the pedal is actually off.

And that's a lot of drive pedals! Say, if you leave one of the them on almost always for instance, it kind of works as a preamp/buffer, helping the signal go through the cables without much loss of treble frequencies before it reaches the buffer at the end of the chain.

You got three Boss delays there (DD-2 is awesome by the way), how often do you use them?

The only way to tell the difference is to experiment! 1 buffer, 2 buffers, 3 buffers, or 4 buffers at the end of the chain. This is where true-bypass loops become so handy.

Good luck!

• Moderators

My chain hits about 6 true bypass Fuzz/OD pedals before it goes on to 4 Boss Pedals (OC-2, DD-2, DD-6, DM-2).

Would my tone benefit at all from a standalone buffer after the 6 TB pedals, or am I fine with the boss buffers?

No benefit from adding a buffer. The input of the first Boss pedal is buffered, which is the same effect as you would get if you put a buffer after the TB pedals. It's not necessary.

regards, Jack

• Moderators

i was told a good quality buffer right before the boss buffers would help, as the boss buffers arent great.

Nope. Boss buffers are fine. The main problem with Boss pedals is that too many buffers are left in the signal path, even when bypassed. Every circuit contributes small amounts of noise and distortion and when you leave multiple buffers on all the time (2 in a TS, 3 in a BD-2, and so on) it can have an impact on the sound. Adding a high quality buffer to this mix doesn't improve anything.

-Jack

• Members

i was told a good quality buffer right before the boss buffers would help, as the boss buffers arent great.

The Boss buffers aren't bad. If you did put a high quality buffer before the Boss pedals, what do you think you'd hear? In this case, I think you're hearing a lot of stuff about buffers and assuming a new buffer would cause some monumental difference in your sound.

• Members

tried it out....does sound a little better adding the this1ismyne buffer in there, even with all the boss pedals....gets a bit more clear.

what if i true bypassed all those boss pedals (except the DD-6 - i use it in warp mode and need it to be footswitchable on and off)

• Members

i dont see how it can hurt to get those boss pedals true bypassed. this way ill only have 2 buffers in my chain, one as early as possible and one at the end.

small price to pay for some peace of mind

• Members

im anal retentive when it comes to my rig, so i like to keep the signal as pure as possible to my amp.

suprised im getting so much {censored} for this considering everyone on this forum is also obsessed with this stuff

• Moderators

honestly it's your cables robbing your tone, and how you arrange the pedals on your board.

I go along with this. The best update for the OP's pedalboard would be to get some good quality low capacitance cables and see how that sounds. It is a low cost upgrade that is worth the expense.

regards, Jack

Archived