Budget Reverb

• Members

So i'm looking for a fairly cheap reverb. I know there are many but I need something that can do those huge, long reverbs like what is typical of post-rock and ambient. Reverse would be a bonus but not necessary. I'm looking to keep it under 150$.

I have a few options in mind...

EQD Ghost Echo

Hardwire RV-7 (i really like this but apparently doesn't go 100% wet)

Digiverb

Boss RV-3/5

What would you guys suggest I go with?

• Members

100% wet sucks. look up the RV-2.. it's got an effect level instead of a mix knob, but has way more reverb than dry when cranked. also nails Sigur Ros stuff in Hall 2. youtube vid in my sig.

• Members

thanks for all the suggestions. I really liked the RV-7 but was doubtful of how "large and deep" it gets. Would you RV-7 owners say it suits those spacey, long verbs?

I'll take a look at the Behringer, I've been hearing a lot about that reverb.

@gambit - that vid sounds great actually. would you happen to know if there is a huge diff between the 2 and the 3?

• Members

thanks for all the suggestions. I really liked the RV-7 but was doubtful of how "large and deep" it gets. Would you RV-7 owners say it suits those spacey, long verbs?

I'll take a look at the Behringer, I've been hearing a lot about that reverb.

@gambit
- that vid sounds great actually. would you happen to know if there is a huge diff between the 2 and the 3?

yeah, the RV-3 and 5 are pretty weak in comparison to be honest. just cold harsh sterile digitalness. the RV-2 is grainy, a little noisy with the level cranked etc, but it sounds {censored}ing awesome. none of the Digiverb/Verbzilla/Holy Grail pedals match it for that long huge hall sound for me. they can be had for about

• Members

Many people like the harshness from some of Boss' reverb pedals - for me that's what makes the RV-3 (overpriced though it may be now I desperately want one).

I have a Behringer DR600 (RV-5 clone) and it's ok... the Verbzilla clone RV600 is again, ok... but the Verbzilla is IMHO naff anyway. If I had the Vox with me all the time I'd never even have reverb, tis only cos I'm on the Champion in the bedroom and at certain gigs we use other people's amps.

When you said budget reverb, I assumed you meant properly cheap, but you've mentioned some good names. If we're talking practicality, RV-5 and Digiverbs are your best, RV-5 better but whether the cost is worth it is up to you. Nice, different, spacey shizzle? Go down RV-3 lane m'boy.

• Members

I use the "Plate" setting most of the time for a longer/more forward effect. I wouldn't say I've ever attempted anything "spacey" though.

• Members

I've used the RV-5 for years, specifically for the Mod setting. It sounds digital sure, but most of the post-rock bands have utilize that sound. Most of the settings aren't very good.

RV-3 is cool for ambient sounds. RV-2, is ok as well.

RV-7 is great, but i still prefer the RV-5. It doesn't spring and gate better than the boss.

Digiverb, IMO, is the best option out of these for "post-rock" "ambient".

Archived