OT: Tired subject, but still...

• Members

I'm not defending Oba'lless and his limp efforts to transition us out of the 1950s, but seriously, this article sends me through the roof:

On the sidelines of an oil conference in London, Transocean Ltd. president Steven Newman said there were things President Barack Obama's administration "could implement today that would allow the industry to go back to work tomorrow without an arbitrary six-month time limit.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gIXWYBTpLtSayJtg41LKXpxSxVPAD9GG82JG0

When are these guys going to STFU and use their massive wealth to help the situation? Couldn't they invest in clean-up crews, organize, and charge BP for the expertise? Couldn't they invest in alternative energy sources. Whatever, just do something other than bitch and complain about how the Gulf Disaster has hurt their poor little bank accounts.

I'm an Instructional Technologist, and if studies proved that using technology with children was harmful to their nervous systems or their learning, I would be the first to drop this career I've built my life around and find a different line of work. Even that wouldn't be enough to clear my conscience knowing that my line of work has {censored}ed up generations of people. I'd bet that most of you guys would do the same.

So what the {censored} is wrong with these people that they just don't get it?

/ tuesday morning rant

• Members

They aren't looking out for the best interests of the people, that's what all elected officials are experts at.

man i'm rolling at this! that's the funniest thing i've read all week.

this country needs a revolution or it is going to die a painful death, just like the Roman empire, Excessiveness does not extend a nations life, it diminishes it.

The gulf spill is an indicator of things to come

• Members

Money runs the world. Why would they help a company that cannot guarantee to pay them back? Not to mention that the fall of BP gives more market share to its competitors and this whole mess has made oil prices higher because all production has been shutdown for 6 months in water greater then like 50 feet.

• Members

I want to see more of this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10387830.stm

The judge said the lengthy ban was "invalid" and could not be justified, as the negative impact on local businesses was simply too great.

"I will issue a new order in the coming days that eliminates any doubt that a moratorium is needed, appropriate, and within our authorities," Mr Salazar said in a statement.

I understand that people need to make a living, but c'mon. It's time to adapt to the changing world folks. Your freedom ends where it {censored}s on mine. Find a new line of work.

well, if we're going out like rome i hope we atleast get a couple years of crazy orgies before dirty pelicans cause the apocolypse.
:)

:freak:

:)

• Members

Maybe the Mayans were right.

I shudder at the thought of what will happen if BP's relief well doesn't work.

I try to avoid that connection if only because it seems to sensationalize the crisis and gives the detractors something more to scoff at. But yes, I'm a bit superstitious there too.

• Members

I shudder at the thought of what will happen if BP's relief well doesn't work.

July 1st 2012, the gulf of mexico catches on fire and simply doesn't stop burning because the leak's not plugged. The massive amount of smoke accelerates global warming and fries the planet?

• Members

This country needs a revolution or it is going to die a painful death, just like the Roman empire, Excessiveness does not extend a nations life, it diminishes it.

Oh, it's coming. We're definitely going down. I can't think of another empire (and make no mistake, the US acts without consequence, which is what an empire does, IMO) that has lasted more than a few hundred years.

I say let's get it over with and start again.

• Members

They were right that their Long Count calender comes to an end in 2012. But the folks that are experts on the classical Maya say they had no specific, commonly held belief this marked anything more than that calender cycle ending, especially since they calculated dates that take place after the end of the cycle. Many of their modern descendants are bemused at a bunch of foreigners claiming the world will end, and most of them don't use the Long Count calender anyways. Unfortunately there is a long Western tradition of taking some cool bit of foreign religious or cultural belief and using it to spin out some story without taking any of the details and traditions its a part of into account.

• Members

July 1st 2012, the gulf of mexico catches on fire and simply doesn't stop burning because the leak's not plugged. The massive amount of smoke accelerates global warming and fries the planet?

That's probably the most ignorant thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

Archived