School me on Fender Mustangs

• Members

I'm seriously considering getting one. What should I know about what kind to buy?

I know for Jazzmasters, the CIJ's were the better ones to buy (best bang for the buck, etc).

I noticed vintage Mustangs are above $1k (Don't want to spend that much), but CIJ Mustangs are $500-$800?

I noticed there are various models as well. What are the differences?

Thanks

• Members

I have a '65 RI CIJ, which is a pretty solid guitar. The pups are a little under-powered, but other than that, no complaints. Stays in tune, unless you go to town with the whammy bar.

Paid $600 used in mint condition. I would have bet that it was brand new and it came with a hard case.

• Members

Back in the early 00's I traded a line 6 4x12 cab straight for a mint CIJ Competition Mustang at a Music Go Round, it's really too bad you can't find deals like that anymore.

I would love another, I do regret selling that guy.

• Members

Curious about this too. I picked up a CIJ 'stang of unknown vintage in Bowling Alley Ceiling Yellow for $415 a few months ago. I don't know what model it is, but it doesn't have that goofy stripe.

I like it -- I don't usually like Strat sounds, and I was worried that that spanky quality would carry over to the Mustang. It sort of does, but in a rawer way that I like. I was also pleasantly surprised that it doesn't seem to be too small for my hands. There wasn't really even a period where I was getting used to the shorter scale, either; it just felt normal.

Your Mustangs - show me them. Lots of pics of Mustangs, new and old...

It's official - HNGD. My '71 "Competition" Mustang (which alas, lacks any paint on the body - I'm trying to decide what color to paint it...)

And so it begins... Not really a Mustang thread, but it's about my similar Musicmaster / Duo Sonic...

In terms of "new" Mustangs, in the USA, you currently only have one choice - the Fender Classic Series '65 Reissue. They're built in Japan, are about $1,200 list, and $939 MAP (minimum advertised price or "street" price). You may be able to get one for less than that at a dealer if you haggle, or on ebay if you look around. You can usually find them for a bit less on the used market too, although they don't pop up as much as Strats and Teles do.

Squier also has a very well regarded 24" scale Duo Sonic from their Classic Vibe series. You can usually get those for $330 "street" new - list is about $530.

Fender Japan makes a ton of different Mustang models and colors that are only available in Japan. Occasionally used examples pop up on ebay. Check ebay for a dealer called "Ishibashi" - they usually have a few available.

Of course, you can also check ebay for used Mustangs. Fender USA made them from mid 1964 until about 1981-1982. Prices vary considerably, depending on age and condition and the mental stability of the seller - and bidders. ;)

Curious about this too. I picked up a CIJ 'stang of unknown vintage in Bowling Alley Ceiling Yellow for $415 a few months ago. I don't know what model it is, but it doesn't have that goofy stripe.

You can check the serial number and figure out the approximate vintage of it.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

Based on your description, I'd guess it's from the 90s or early to mid 2000's... but clonk on that link, type in the serial number, click on the appropriate boxes and it should tell you for certain.

I like it -- I don't usually like Strat sounds, and I was worried that that spanky quality would carry over to the Mustang. It sort of does, but in a rawer way that I like. I was also pleasantly surprised that it doesn't seem to be too small for my hands. There wasn't really even a period where I was getting used to the shorter scale, either; it just felt normal.

Mustang necks vary considerably from what I can tell. In the 60s / 70s, they were available in various widths: A/B/C/D (1 1/2", 1 5/8", 1 3/4", 1 7/8"), with the B width being "standard". Also, their cross-sectional profile varied over the years. I have a vintage '65 neck that has more of a U shaped profile, which I didn't care for very much - but I have smaller hands. I am not sure how it matches up to the current '65 reissues - I have yet to play one. But my 1994 '69 Mustang reissue neck (B width, on my Duo Sonic) is not that different from my 1971 Mustang's B width neck, with more of a C shaped profile on both, although the reissue neck is definitely thinner from front to back, which again, I prefer. My '75 neck appears to be an A width (1 1/2" wide) and is a touch too narrow for my fingers although the profile and thickness of it is ideal...

Here's a pic I took a little while back - it shows my Duo Sonic (pre-refinish) and '71 Mustang, alongside a client's two MIJ reissues. All four had slightly different neck shapes to them. I imagine the vintage white one is similar in color to what you're describing...

04f19886.jpg

I don't recall which one, but one of his necks was pretty darned narrow - probably an A width. I found it difficult to play a first position C chord without my index finger accidentally hitting the open E and G strings on either side of it.

There's not a ton of differences between the various models except for body wood, finish / color and neck shape / size. Oh, and body contours.

All four of those guitars in that picture have similar "sound" to them, although the Duo Sonic has Abagail Ybarra wound Custom Shop Strat pickups in it and is a bit beefier sounding than the other three. The '69 reissues (which are no longer sold "new" in the USA) have forearm contour and a back "tummy cut"; somewhat similar to a Strat's. The '65 reissues have "slab" bodies, without the contours. From what I have heard from others, the breakdown on the reissue necks goes like this:

1. Early Mustang reissues (made in '94-'99) = thinnest necks.

2. Competition (with "racing stripes") Mustang RI ('00-'02) & '69 Reissues (from '02-'05) = medium profile.

3. '65 Reissues 2006-present = largest profile.

If you have fairly big hands, I'd look for a great deal on a new '65 RI (I've seen them going for $650-700 on Ebay), or a late model (2002-2005) used reissue. The '65 is probably your best / safest bet if you have large hands. You may be able to find one of the current '65 reissues used too if you're lucky, but chances are it's still going to cost you at least $500-550. No matter which one you get, expect to pay extra if you want a hard shell case.

Nearly all of the reissues that have been sold in the USA have basswood bodies, while original USA Fenders had either poplar, ash or (very rarely) mahogany bodies. The do make a '77 Mustang reissue in Japan with an ash body, but it has never been "officially" sold in the USA.

If you're purchasing from an online dealer, just ask them how wide the neck is. If it's 1 1/2" (an "A width") stay away... that is bound to be too small for someone with larger hands. If it is a "B width" (1 5/8"), that's "standard", and should feel similar to your typical Strat or Telecaster in terms of width, although at 24" scale length, the frets are going to feel / be a bit closer to each other on a Mustang than on a 25.5" scale Strat or Tele.

The "white" (cream or "vintage white") one in my picture is from one of the earlier reissue series (90s - '05); they were also sold in the USA in a light blue ("Sonic blue") with a similar dark brown tortoiseshell pickguard.

MG69.jpg

The more stark white ("Olympic white") in citizens_X's picture is the current '65 reissue. Note the much "redder" pickguard. The '65 reissues also come in a light blue ("Daphne blue") and a dark red ("Dakota red") - both with a white pickguard.

424020.jpg

The current '65 reissues are more accurate in terms of looks and features relative to an original than the earlier Mustang reissues were.

• Members

my ex band mate has a 1969 Mustang (made in Japan I think).....he freaking loves it....he dropped in some Seymour Duncan singlecoils in it just for a little more volume (they're still a vintage voiced pickup) and that guitar is amazing. One of my favorites for sure.

I have a classic vibe duo sonic and I love that thing, FWIW.....not a mustang though.

• Members

I owned a '65 RI in Daphne Blue for a little while before I was forced to sell it but I really loved that guitar. I've played a lot of great vintages ones that my friends own and it really did capture the feel of them.

Here is a video I made of it when I was fat and out of tune (stock 9's innit)

[YOUTUBE]sRePQ-YL0XE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I see mid to late 70's Mustangs all the time for $800 or less in decent condition. A competition red Mustang sold locally for $900 recently. I bought my competition Mustang ('72) for under $1K.

Good deals on vintages are out there if you are willing to pay $750 to $1K.

• Members

God I love that group picture Phil posts everytime someone mentions Mustangs. :love:

Call me crazy, but I'm not much for the Competition ones. :/ And it pisses me off that everytime I go to my local music shops they never take good care of their Mustangs. I've yet to play one locally that was set up well and taken of.

That's definitely a refinished one Matt - they didn't come in black in 1965 - only red, white and blue. The neck's been "sanded down" too - if it's just finish wear / removal, then that's one thing, but if it's been reshaped via sanding, I'd proceed with caution. Still, at $600 for a '65, it's definitely worth looking into.

Archived