I think I'm done with tubes

p00n

• Members

My personal amp never sees the light of day. Sure it sounds great in the bedroom, but we practise in a studio with {censored}ty solid state marshall amps, and I don't plan on dragging a combo or even a tube head to a gig.

I'm this close to going with a good solid state head or guitar rig 4 through my MBP.

I'm leaning towards an Acoustic Control Corp head since I've always run dirt into a clean amp. I'm not a fan of completely sparkly cleans like a JC 120 or a Twin. I like warmer, middy, chimey cleans like the AC-30.

What do Acoustic Control amps sound like? The only demo on youtube is 10 minutes of godawful playing. Do they have a 120/240V switch on the back?

I play instrumental stuff and mainly deal with drones and background {censored}ery in this band.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think tubes are necessary. There are plenty of good sounding solid state amps out there.

..and I have two. The Yamaha is pretty bright so the treble gets dialled right down but the Roland BC-60 Blues Cube is really damn good. Way better than the Tech 21 Trademark amps. I'm buying a new valve amp this month but there is always a place for solid state amps with me.

Solidstateamps.jpg

• Members

..and I have two. The Yamaha is pretty bright so the treble gets dialled right down but the Roland BC-60 Blues Cube is really damn good. Way better than the Tech 21 Trademark amps. I'm buying a new valve amp this month but there is always a place for solid state amps with me.

Solidstateamps.jpg

I've actually just sold the exact same Made in USA Blues Cube. I was really unimpressed by it though. :cry:

Maybe I'm spoilt by my Reverend Kingsnake, but the cleans were really sterile and uninspiring.

• Members

As reviewed by Tony Soprano.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I think the EHX demo made a better sound, but this guys voice made me smile.

If I wasn't into my old Fender amp so much I'd keep one of these in my gig bag, or maybe the 44, but that needs its own power supply.

• Members

Why don't you just get a lunchbox-style head and run it into the speaker in the Marshall at your practice space?

I actually need fairly high headroom since I'll be running drones and modulation. Those tube lunchboxes are usually at the most 15 watts and would clip like a mofo

Actually I might give the Crate Powerblock a whirl

• Members

I think the EHX demo made a better sound, but this guys voice made me laugh.

If I wasn't into my old Fender amp so much I'd keep one of these in my gig bag, or maybe the 44, but that needs its own power supply.

Waaay too low headroom man, and I'd like at least a 3 band eq

• Members

[YOUTUBE]z7uO9oO6pOI[/YOUTUBE]

hmmm promising. Even the distorted tones are pretty damn good

edit: FUUUUUUUUUU they're discontinued

[YOUTUBE]lvFS7wmlVe0[/YOUTUBE]

Why the hell would they discontinue a $200 solid state head that sounds this good. Just before they dropped it they blew them out for $100 wtf

• Members

Oh you've got one of these? How's the reliability? It seems that it's quite an issue.

I liked the Blues Cube best with a low gain OD pushing the front end. Warmed and thickened it up nicely.

Had one as I was curious to see how it performed. There's a lot of amp there for the money. No issues with reliability. I wish they'd done a rackmount version as it would have worked very well for me.

• Members

Polytone?

Pricey pricey. I'm hesitant to try amps marketed to jazz players. I respect their playing as much as the other guy but I hate ultra clean and pristine 'jazz tone'. Works for them but not for me

• Members

Pricey pricey. I'm hesitant to try amps marketed to jazz players. I respect their playing as much as the other guy but I hate ultra clean and pristine 'jazz tone'. Works for them but not for me

I wouldn't say Polytones are pricey. I think new they're in the $400 range, and used (which is what I was thinking) they can be had for a lot less.

The Mini Brain is a 100 Watt head and very small. You might want to check it out.

• Members

Solidstateamps.jpg

I've heard three of those Yamahas (50w 112, 50w 212 and 100-212) and they all sounded GREAT with huge low end response and fairly neutral. I'd love to find a 1x12 I'd buy it in a second.

I think a good neutral SS amp with flexible and tame EQ and a good selection of pedals (OCD, Burn Unit, Radial) will get all the chime of a good tube distortion and the ability to do it at a variety of volume levels. That's the same principle I used when putting together my mini-rack and it works for that kind of rig too.

Lastly we guitarists obsess FAR too much over the nuances of our tone. 99% of it is lost on our listeners.

Archived