Dano Cool Cat Drive

• Members

Maybe old news but i would really like to know if its really THAT good. Word is that it sounds like an OCD for less than half the cost. The Cool Cat Fuzz got the guitar player pick award so apparently that must sound pretty good, right?

Could these cheap pedals really compete with expensive boutique pedals?

• Members

I had the fuzz. I didn't like it. It didn't have much sustain and it wasn't very edgy either. Just sort of bland to my ears.

I have the drive, and it is seriously one of (if not the) best overdrives I've ever used (and I've used plenty of boutique ODs). The amazing thing about it, is that it seems to stack well with anything. It even pairs well with {censored}ty Boss distortions and makes them sound bigger and fuller. I don't know how much it sounds like an OCD, because I've never gotten around to trying one.

• Members

I had the fuzz. I didn't like it. It didn't have much sustain and it wasn't very edgy either. Just sort of bland to my ears.

I have the drive, and it is seriously one of (if not the) best overdrives I've ever used (and I've used plenty of boutique ODs). The amazing thing about it, is that it seems to stack well with anything. It even pairs well with {censored}ty Boss distortions and makes them sound bigger and fuller. I don't know how much it sounds like an OCD, because I've never gotten around to trying one.

Did you get the V1 or V2 drive?

• Members

V1 drive ex-owner.

It was a great pedal but it's way too high-gain for my liking. Clean boosting is practically impossible to do, so no sparkle at lower settings, and given I was never into high-gain distortion, it meant that a lot of similar ground was covered by my distortion and the drive.

I sold the V1 to a mate for the same price as I bought an SD-1 and I think that was a solid choice.

A good pedal, especially if you really want that OCD but don't want to spend a lot, but for a straight up useable overdrive it gets high gain way too quickly.

• Members

I had a V4 OCD and never really bonded with it so I ended up selling it. A couple of months later after all the scandal erupted I got a V1 Drive for next to nothing just to try it out, and I liked it considerably more than I did the OCD.

• Members

Yeah, the Drive is stellar. The TOD v1 took a lot of the spotlight, but the Drive v1 is every bit as good as far as I'm concerned.

Although as comrade_jon said it is higher gain and can get out of hand quickly, at lower gain settings you can really get some fantastic sounds out of it.

I have a V1 and a V2 Dano Drive, and an OCD V3. Of the three, the OCD is the one I like the most, but both Danos are very nice sounding pedals, and while I don't think "OCD clone" is quite accurate (in terms of sound), they definitely have some similar sonic qualities to them. All three are cool sounding pedals. So is the CC Fuzz IMO. The "bang for the bucks" on the whole Cool Cat series is pretty off the charts.

• Members

I had the V1 Drive for a while and really didn't care for it much. It did sound better with single coils than some gain pedals, but overall, I felt that it had a rather cold and artificial feel to it. Kind of hard to describe, but it felt like the the sound sat on top of my tone rather than being part of it, if that makes sense. I just picked up a DeltaLab RD 1 distortion and am very happy with it. Very warm, straight-ahead Marshall style distortion at a great price.

• Members

i have a couple of v1 Drive's and TOD. The Drive sounds great.. seems to have a much wider frequency response than all the Boss drive pedals i've used, which are all in the 'boxy' camp for my liking. (BD-2 possibly an exception).

nice big, full sound with enough gain to cover most stuff. i actually like it with gain at about 1/3rd. or cranked. :evil:

TOD i'm still getting used to, but with the gain just below half, the volume knob has to be set somewhere between 3.5-4.1 before it boosts too much above unity - it's VERY sensitive. and typically annoying to have to keep tweaking it. sound-wise though, it's very good.

i'm on the look out for the fuzz and the red distortion one.. they all just sound good.

this guy demo most of them really well:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I liked the sonic texture but it was too scooped in the mids for my liking. That contributed to the artificial feel.

That's why I didn't like the OCD, it scooped in either mode and just took all the meat out of the sound for me, to the point of being unpleasant. I didn't think the V1 Drive was anything like as bad.

Archived