Danelectro TOD-1 revisited

RoboPimp

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah but personal preference, it's not a bad pedal I just preferred the original and some people might prefer the V2

should've taken pics inside to see what they changed around, must have been extensive because side by side you can instantly tell they're different

• Members

Nah - not psycoacoustics. Just a different opamp chip which does make a difference. No voodoo mojo parts - I don't believe in those. The 4559 in the Timmy is clearer, and has a little more grit to it. The tlo72 is a little warmer. Since the Timmy has a socket you can put the tlo72 (or a bunch of other ones) in it to cop the same thing as the clone, or something different. Also a plus incase the opamp gets popped which is hard for most people to change out if it's an smd part. then there's the 3-way toggle of the Timmy which can get some more compressed tones to work better with cleaner amps.

getting spammy, so I'll leave it there.

PaulC

Tim/Timmy pedals

myspace.com/paulcaudio

I like yours better, I'm glad I heard the comparison clip.

• Members

higher quality components the kind of thing you got the science to actually talk about?

For the record I've never said I used higher quality parts. At least I don't think I did... When this all came out I posted a few times pretty toasted.

The different cap values are in the power supply. I used 47uf, and they used 100uf. But both time constants are so large as to have no difference in effect. The difference comes in pot tapers and choice of opamp.

PaulC

Tim/Timmy pedals

myspace.com/paulcaudio

• Members

For the record I've never said I used higher quality parts. At least I don't think I did... When this all came out I posted a few times pretty toasted.

The different cap values are in the power supply. I used 47uf, and they used 100uf. But both time constants are so large as to have no difference in effect. The difference comes in pot tapers and choice of opamp.

PaulC

Tim/Timmy pedals

myspace.com/paulcaudio

I think most people consider the enclosure of the Danelectro lower quality then the Timmy, not necessarily the inside of the pedal. The fact that the Timmy has a separate knob for Bass and Treble makes a big difference as well.

So did Danelectro actually copy your circuit board or did they ask your permission?

• Members

higher quality components the kind of thing you got the science to actually talk about?

Didn't know I needed science to discuss the differences. I did think that Paul used better parts, but if Paul says he doesn't know that higher quality parts were used, then there is your answer. I still can't make the two pedals sound exactly the same, so however minor the differences are, they are still noticeable.

• Members
If you can find one cheap I think the Distortion is worth checking out aswell, it gets a real nice crunchy Brit sound and is more ballsy than the Drive, it's a beast with P90s
:love:

Its based on the Marshall Gov'Nor I believe.

• Members

Yeah I heard MI Audio Crunchbox, they didn't change it like the Peach Fuzz, OCD or Timmy clone so i'd guess it's legit :

sounds great either way and I've actually got an original English made Guv'nor on the way so i'll compare them :]

• Members

Yeppers, no permission, hence the version 2. Bugger must of thought he'd get away with it but not in this time of the interwebs.

All the pedals that have a version 2 were pretty much direct rip-offs in version 1.

TOD was ripped from the Timmy

Drive was ripped from the OCD

Fuzz was ripped from the PeachFuzz.

• Members

All the pedals that have a version 2 were pretty much direct rip-offs in version 1.

TOD was ripped from the Timmy

Drive was ripped from the OCD

Fuzz was ripped from the PeachFuzz.

Dang! Did not know that...

• Members

Didn't know I needed science to discuss the differences.
I did think that Paul used better parts, but if Paul says he doesn't know that higher quality parts were used, then there is your answer. I still can't make the two pedals sound exactly the same, so however minor the differences are, they are still noticeable.

Well if you're going to say something like "The timmy sounds better because of higher quality parts", I at least expect you to be able to discuss why different types of cap or resistor might sound different.

It's very important to remember that in electronics terms pedal builders are like ants eating the crumbs after a picnic- we certaintly don't get any say about what's for lunch! The things that are good for pedals aren't neccessarily the things that make parts expensive, and the attributes that make parts expensive aren't neccessarily of any benefit to a guitar pedal.

• Members

As is the Analogman King of Tone.

Well if you're going to say something like "The timmy sounds better because of higher quality parts", I at least expect you to be able to discuss why different types of cap or resistor might sound different.

It's very important to remember that in electronics terms pedal builders are like ants eating the crumbs after a picnic- we certaintly don't get any say about what's for lunch! The things that are good for pedals aren't neccessarily the things that make parts expensive, and the attributes that make parts expensive aren't neccessarily of any benefit to a guitar pedal.

Actually, I never said the Timmy sounded better. I said it sounded different. I wasn't making a point that one is better than the other. I was saying that to my ears they don't sound the same. In my setup, the Timmy is better for a dirty amp, and I like the TOD better for a clean amp. I do agree that better quality parts don't always mean a better sounding pedal, because it's the end user that has to decide which pedal works best for them.

Archived